Forever Together

Living with Yoo

Kihyun sits his protesting body down on the couch once the family is out of the house, a small sigh slipping past his lips as he leans over to rest his head against Hyungwon’s shoulder. His husband silently smiles as he wraps an arm around his waist, and Kihyun feels his eyes fall shut in the calmness of the moment after such a hectic afternoon.

“Those grandkids of yours are a handful,” Kihyun mutters, earning a light chuckle from the younger.

“Those grandkids of yours are a handful,” Hyungwon replies, and Kihyun laughs fondly. Hyungwon glances down at him, watching as his eyes reopen to reveal the most enchanting, sparkling gaze he’s ever seen. It’s enough to steal his breath away, despite having been married for forty years already.

Hyungwon leans down to steal a simple kiss, and it earns a chuckle from the older. Kihyun returns the gesture, and then snuggles closer to him as he reaches for the remote.

“Wanna watch that drama we’ve fallen behind on?” Hyungwon asks, moving closer to the older, as well, in an attempt to leech off some of his body heat. Kihyun hums his reply, and his husband can’t the growing smile on his face. He feels his own wrinkles crinkle at the expression, but he doesn’t mind, just so long as Kihyun doesn’t.

 

The two binge-watch all the episodes they’ve yet to watch of their favorite show, which leaves them with very little time left in the day by the time they’re finished. Kihyun warms up some leftovers from a dinner a couple nights ago, salmon with rice, asparagus, and broth, and the two eat quietly but silently.

After dinner, they go out to the porch, a thing they’ve gotten into the habit of doing every night, and sit together under the stars.

“Little Kkungie’s getting so big,” Hyungwon mumbles, his eyelids feeling heavier the longer they sit out there. “Soon enough he’s gonna be too big to piggyback anymore.” Kihyun chuckles warmly at the statement, his eyes shining wistfully.

“That’s too bad,” he comments halfheartedly. “He loves those about as much as his appa did at his age.” Hyungwon laughs lightly, clearly remembering the same thing Kihyun is: their younger son whining countless times throughout his upbringing, begging for just one more piggyback ride. Whether it be from one of his fathers or his brother, Changkyun always got what he wanted eventually, and his son is no different.

“Jooheonney’s girls are so cute~” Hyungwon sighs out. “Twins always creeped me out before, but Bitna and Boa are always so polite and precious… They’re gonna make some great people one day.”

“We did well, Wonnie,” Kihyun mutters. Hyungwon turns then, watching his husband with an agreeable gaze. “Those two boys, those two angels… I think we did them justice, and gave them all they needed and wanted. Now they’ll pass on their good lives to their children, and their children after that…”

“Aish,” Hyungwon mock-complains, making a face. “You’re talking like we’re old, or something. We’re both still in our twenties, just newlyweds and moving into the house. You’re still thinking of becoming a singer, and I’m still modeling… We’re in the prime of life.”

Kihyun laughs fondly at Hyungwon’s rambling, his heart about ready to burst as he’s reminded of those days so long ago. Images flash before his eyes of them moving boxes into this house, the house they could barely even afford in the first place. Kihyun had worked so many part time jobs back in those days, and Hyungwon had grasped at any modeling gig he could get just so they could make ends meet.

Then, the younger got his big break, and they didn’t have to struggle anymore. They started talking about having kids, starting a family.

Both had been outright terrified at the notion, though neither admitted to it. They wanted a family, if for nothing more than to have something all their own untarnished by their tumultuous pasts, and they got one. Never once did they look back. Never once did they try to initiate contact with their families, as they had made their feelings perfectly clear about their ‘lifestyles’.

And neither would change a single thing about that now, as it’s shaped their relationship to be as strong as it is today.

“I love you so much, Hyungwon-ah,” Kihyun sighs out, earning a fond squeeze of his hand from the younger.

“I love you so much, too, Kihyun-hyung~”

The two then raise their eyes to the stars, content to just stay like this forever, in each other’s company, not having to say a word.

 

Kihyun eventually, though, stands up with a loud groan, and pulls Hyungwon along with him. The younger pouts at having to move, but pads along on socked feet, anyway, rubbing at his eyes as they go.

The two get changed for bed and crawl under the covers together, careful not to disturb Inna. The cat has grown very fond of their bed, and doesn’t like to be moved or to move at all. She spends most of her time there now, becoming a fully domesticated—fat—housecat.

The feline trudges over on heavy paws to the two men, and snuggles down between them. Hyungwon curls himself around her, petting her adoringly as he rests his head on Kihyun’s chest. Kihyun holds his dongsaeng close, petting the man’s hair quite similarly to how Hyungwon is petting their cat.

Both fall asleep with a fond smile on their faces, knowing that this is how the rest of their days will end, no matter how many more there may be.