Getting Married

Living with Yoo

“I know we never gave you the talk,” Kihyun begins slowly, earning a groan of protest from his two sons, “but I feel that we should now. You’re going to be expected to do things, boys, on your wedding night. Now, I highly doubt either of your husbands will force you to, but—”

“Basically, don’t screw around without protection,” Hyungwon interjects, eager to have this conversation finished. Kihyun glances over at him with a small pout, the older crossing his arms.

“Wonnie, we have to go into detail,” Kihyun explains, reaching for a banana in the fruit bowl on the table. Jooheon and Changkyun look to each other, identical looks of shock on their faces.

That’s why you told me to bring the ??” Hyungwon demands, his mouth dropped wide open. Kihyun in a breath through his teeth, his brow creasing together.

“What other reason would there be to bring a to the weddings of our only two children?” Kihyun fires back. Hyungwon sighs in defeat, shaking his head as he wipes at his face with a single hand.

“Eomma, please,” Jooheon finally interjects, waving his hands in surrender. “We know about all this stuff already, so you don’t have to—”

“But I’m sure school didn’t teach you the proper way to apply one,” Kihyun says, giving his son a genial smile. Though, it falters at Jooheon and Changkyun’s unreadable glance. “Unless…” he mutters, raising a brow, “you know from experience…? Boys? What have you been getting up to at university??”

The door behind them suddenly opens, and in walks Hyunwoo and Hoseok, the two grooms of the day. Kihyun glares at them with a chilling accusatory light to his eyes, and both men shuffle on their feet, unsure if they should really be there just then.

“Um… sorry to interrupt,” Hyunwoo says, “but they’re ready for us.”

“Perfect timing,” Hyungwon replies, before Kihyun can say anything. He nods to their sons, who spring up and rush over to their fiancés, only to steer them away. Hyungwon wraps an arm around Kihyun’s shoulders, and begins to lead his trembling body out of the room.

“I take it back,” Kihyun mutters, “I take my approval back.”

“I don’t think you can, hyung,” Hyungwon chuckles. “Besides, it wouldn’t really matter. Our kids are getting married today, one way or another.” Kihyun sighs in defeat, a hand coming up to rest atop Hyungwon’s. He halts in his steps, causing the younger to do so also, and turns around to face his husband.

“No crying today, Hyungwon-ah,” Kihyun tells him as he reaches up to fiddle with his tie. “We made a promise to not cry until the ceremony is over and they’re off on their honeymoons… We need to make sure we stick to it.” Hyungwon laughs warmly, his hands coming to grasp his husband’s. He notes how Kihyun’s fingers shake ever so slightly, how his voice seems a bit more strained than it should.

“You’ve got it, yeobo.”

Kihyun releases a long breath, and leans up on his tiptoes to press a grateful kiss against Hyungwon’s lips before turning to head out to the ceremony hall. Hyungwon follows, reveling in the familiar-yet-exhilarating feeling of having Kihyun’s hand in his.

 

The great thing about their sons is that they’ve always gotten along. Jooheon and Changkyun have always acted as close as a pair of twins, despite their genetics. They have the same surrogate mother, but each one carries a different pair of genes for a father. But, that hasn’t kept them from developing traits from both men who raised them.

Kihyun is reminded as he watches his sons promise their lives to their respective husbands, Jooheon to Hyunwoo and Changkyun to Hoseok, how alike they are at times, yet how different at others.

It seems only natural that they’d attract a pair of brothers as close to each other as they are.

Hyungwon, however, during the ceremony finds himself remembering his own marriage to Kihyun. It had been nothing like this, in an actual church with close friends and family sitting around to witness. They’d both eloped in the dead of night in a strange city, away from their families for fear of persecution. Their own parents had never come around to accepting their relationship, but that was alright with them… Well, not really, but he’s certain himself and Kihyun wouldn’t have been the kinds of parents they were if not for their own.

Halfway through the ceremony, Hyungwon looks over to the older man, and notices with surprise a little streak of gray peeking out through his otherwise black locks. He smiles fondly, not wanting to point it out quite yet, and merely returns his attention to the marriages unfolding before him.

The men’s hearts swell when they watch their sons kiss their new husbands. They recognize the happiness and adoration in the eyes of the now-newlyweds, and know they’ll be just fine, after all. Though, Kihyun still watches worriedly as they run off to the cars awaiting outside to take them all to the airport, his heart yearning to go with them.

But, he knows he has to let them go off on their own, and begin the rest of their lives.

 

Both men are quiet on the drive away from the church. They clutch at each other’s hands tightly, desperate for some type of solace. They’re happy for their sons, they really are… But, that doesn’t mask the dull ache of loss at finally having finished their jobs as parents.

There’s a small sniffle, and Hyungwon glances over to see a single tear running down Kihyun’s cheek.

He looks away, feeling his own emotions beginning to clog his throat, and shakes his head. No. He absolutely refuses to allow either of them cry today.

He sees a sign on the side of the road, and gasps sharply.

“Wonnie?” Kihyun asks, his voice a bit lower than usual. Hyungwon doesn’t answer, though, merely makes a dangerous U-Turn at the next light to get them to the newest pet store.

 

“We’ve always wanted a cat,” Hyungwon finally says when he reaches the parking lot. Kihyun chuckles despite himself, looking with wide eyes at the huge building before them. “I think today is a good day to get one,” Hyungwon adds, now feeling self-conscious about the whole idea. Kihyun turns to him, his eyes shining with tears.

“I think today’s a perfect day to get one~”