Keeping your enemies closer doesn't mean being Neighbours

Adding up Love (Can you make the grade?)

We were seated in a little circle on a roof: me, Yoojung, Hyunmin and the three BTS boys. I felt a smile threaten to break my lips, reminded of kindergarten where we would all sit like this and have to hold hands or something. 

"Wow, this is really nice!" Jimin-oppa burst out excitedly.

"I know, right?" Hyunmin smirked lazily, "Thank Shinae, she introduced this place to Yoojung and me last year. Although I still don't know how she managed to get past the locked door the first time."

I smiled, shrugging mysteriously. Hyunmin could annoy me all he wanted- I was never going to tell him that I had been cornered here attempting to run away from another of Jinsoo's schemes. This had been my safe haven, and I would keep the door propped open with a spare doorstop. Then, I had shown the place to Yoojung and she had figured out how to keep the door permanently open while appearing to be closed, and she in turn had brought Hyunmin here. It was our favourite hangout spot, free from teachers and other students. 

I stretched my legs out, relaxing back on my hands and letting my hair fall free in the wind. I could hear Jimin and Hyunmin snarking at each other (Hyunmin was probably the only person more sarcastic than me) and Yoojung and Taehyung-oppa enthusiastically rambling to each other about tomatoes? Weird people thought alike, I guess. If I hadn't been so tired, I would probably have joined them in their conversation. But I was still exhausted from class this morning, so I was content to let my two friends handle the conversation. Besides, it wasn't like Mr Tall-Dark-and-a-Jerkface was contributing either. He still had his earphones in and was moodily chewing his sandwich, looking broodingly out over the edge of the roof. He had so much angst, it was like he was contemplating the fate of the universe. I mentally snorted (ladylike, I know).  

Jimin-oppa noticed my gaze and winked, saying "Don't mind Jeongguk. He's just being shy." 

I laughed, replying "I don't mind. I find it funny." And I did, just probably not in the way Jimin-oppa thought I did. No use antagonizing him, after all. Then I wiggled my eyebrows at Jimin-oppa just to prove I was joking. To his credit, he wiggled them right back, and we spent a good thirty seconds making weird faces at each other while Hyunmin silently judged us both. 

"So, where are you guys staying, then?" Yoojung asked. I wondered if as world-famous idols, they would be entitled to some mansion or penthouse somewhere. 

"Just a nearby apartment complex. Manager-hyung wanted to get as real of a high school experience as possible," Jimin-oppa responded. That was surprising, but it made sense, I supposed. With a more visible place, the fangirls could probably find them easier as well. 

"It's going to be great! Seokjin-hyung even said there's even a view of a cherry blossom tree right outside our window!" Taehyung chattered excitedly. I guess as an idol he hadn't had much time for a normal life in a long time. I could sympathize a bit. With my mom working full time to support me and Mi-soo, I had had to pick up a lot of chores from a young age, helping take care of Mi-soo as well as studying and tutoring to help out my mom a bit. I never had time to go noraebang with Yoojung and Hyunmin. Going out to eat or going shopping regularly was also way too expensive.

The six of us continued talking, although Jeongguk was determinedly mum and angsting on about whatever, and soon enough the bell rang to signal the start of our afternoon classes. I sighed, knowing that I was the only one out of my friends in advanced calculus that afternoon. I also had tutoring in the library after school, so I wouldn't be able to see either of them until tomorrow.

"See you guys, then" I said, then turned to Yoojung, smirking, "Yoojung, my love. I shall miss you ever more." 

"Parting is indeed sweet sorrow, Shinae" the girl responded, fake sobbing. Hyunmin merely rolled his eyes at our antics.

"What of me, dear Shinae?" Taehyung interjected, placing a hand over his heart. "You wound me with your dismissal of my affections."

I knew I liked that boy for a reason. 

"But of course, oppa," I cheekily responded, "You must know that no one can hold a candle to Yoojung." 

"Alas, I cannot hope to compete," the boy said, "Jimin, comfort me in these troubling times. You are the only one who understands my pain!"

With that, Taehyung-oppa launched himself at the other boy who readily caught him.

"Yes yes, Taetae, my love for you burns brighter than the sun, brighter than a million stars." recited Jimin almost monotonously.

"Does it burn more than the toast you burnt this morning?" Taehyung asked cheekily.

"Why, you!" Jimin cried in mock-outrage, threatening to drop Taehyung. Yoojung and I laughed at their interaction, exchanging glances with each other. We were definitely going to be great friends with these two.

"Toast is what you'll be if you don't get moving soon," Hyunmin called, already halfway down the stairs. Instantly, we all ran to the door- Hyunmin had a knack for being able to stop Yoojung and I when we were joking too long. 

I slid into calculus not a second before the teacher began, pushing all thoughts of idols out of my mind. Although Hyunmin and Yoojung weren't in this class, neither were Jinsoo or any of her cronies either. I focused purely on the lecture, tuning out everything else, and before I knew it, the class was over. 

After calculus, I headed to the library for my first tutoring sessions. Last year I had had four regular students I taught a few times a week on a one-on-one basis, and this year I was hoping to increase that number, especially since one of my students from last year, Taehee, had dropped math this year. Today's lessons would be simple, though, since it was unlikely either Kyungri or Chansoo had gone through anything substantial in their first classes. Mi-soo was heading home after her dance club, so we would be walking back separately. Hopefully I could finish early then make it back in time to help Eomma prep dinner.

Kyungri and Chansoo both hadn't had many math questions, but time had flown by while I was chatting with Chansoo after his lesson, catching up with each other on our summers, so it was later than I had anticipated when I finally exited the school building. I saw another figure shuffling towards the school gate beside me, and turned my head. 

Lo-and-behold, apparently Jerk Idol had stayed behind as well. 

I raised my eyebrows, non-plussed, but didn't say anything. His schedule was his business, and I wasn't inclined to call over any straggling fangirls still in school. Besides, we were heading in different directions.

We walked in silence, comfortably ignoring each other for a few blocks before I started noticing how similar his route was to mine. Most of my classmates didn't live in my neighbourhood, since as a scholarship student, I lived in a smaller and cheaper place. Yet, Jeongguk doggedly stuck beside me, which was seriously beginning to creep me out. Was he lost? A crazy axe murderer assigned to kill me? No, wait, I was poor, if he killed me he wouldn't get any money. Temporary amnesiac? That didn't make sense either, as I was pretty sure I was the sort of person he would want to forget...

I couldn't stand it anymore. I whirled around to confront him.

"Why are you following me home? Are you one of those crazy stalkers?" 

He instantly bristled, firing back at me, "Shouldn't I be asking you that? I don't want to be followed home by fans."

What a pompous jerk, I thought, Of course he assumes I'm a fan. 

"I'm not a fan, and look! My apartment building is right there. You're the one who's constantly looking to see what streets I'm crossing." 

"Sure, that's what they all say." He smirked infuriatingly, then-

"Wait, that's my apartment building."

"That's what I just said!" I rolled my eyes infuriatingly. Not only was Jeongguk shaping up to be a right jerk, but he was also an idiot. 

"No, I mean- that's where I live now..." he trailed off, eyes going wide. We both stared at each other in horror and shock, for once in agreement. Absolutely no way was this happening to me. First I couldn't escape him at school. Now he was going to be my neighbour?! 

Please let him live on a different floor, I silently thought to myself. Or maybe he even got the address wrong???? I was frantically trying to come up with excuses, but then I remembered Taehyung-oppa mentioning something to Jimin-oppa at lunch about their new place...what was it he had said?

It's going to be great! Seokjin-hyung even said here's even a view of a cherry blossom tree right outside our window!

I mentally groaned. I knew exactly what tree he had been talking aboutMi-soo and I used to spend all our time playing by the tree before I had gotten too busy with school. I couldn't believe I hadn't made the connection until now, then again cherry blossom trees were pretty common here and I was still pretty surprised that pop stars wouldn't be living in massive mansions and crazy security. 

I was brought out of my musings by a rude cough by That Idiot, who I was refusing to address by name. So far I had alternated between calling him That Idiot and That Jerk in my mind. While I had been ranting in my mind, we had ended up in front of my apartment door, which meant the one next to it in the corner had to be his. 

"What?" I angrily asked. 

"Move, I need to get into my apartment." He rudely brushed past me then entered his house without another word. The feeling was mutual, I would love to never see him again. I sighed, turning the key for my place.

Surprisingly, I wasn't instantly attacked by Mi-soo's flying hug when I entered. I looked down, expecting to see her sparkling shoes and besides them I saw four other pairs of men's shoes. I was instantly on guard, until I heard my mom's gentle laughter float of the living room. So we had guests over? That hadn't happened in a while, since both me and my mom were normally busy working.

"Eomma, I'm home!" I called out as I walked into the room then stopped short, seeing four unfamiliar faces besides Mi-soo and my mom. Mi-soo immediately ran over and tugged at my hand, pulling me in.

"Hi Unni! omgomg you won't believe who's here it's so great look it's Namjoon-oppa and Seokjin-oppa and Yoongi-oppa and Hoseok-oppa and they said they're going to be our neighbours this year and that Jimin-oppa and Taehyung-oppa and Jeongguk-oppa are going to be your classmates and Unni why didn't you tell me any of this earlier-" 

"Breathe, Mi-soo" I told her, absentmindedly smiling down at my sister. Then her words registered, and my eyes flew to the four men sitting on our couch.

The first was so gorgeous I almost choked. How could I get skin like that, he seemed impossibly handsome. The other three were attractive as well, the man with pink hair smiling with dimples, the mint-haired man on his right a little more subdued but engaged in easy conversation with my mom and the final man brightly grinning at me. I had no doubt I looked like a wreck at that point, with my messy hair and tired face after dealing with school and Jinsoo and Jeongguk. Idols were inhumanly attractive, I began to realize. I was starting to see where Mi-soo's obsession had come from, especially with Taehyung-oppa and Jimin-oppa's easygoing personalities. It was a shame Jeongguk was such a jerk, or he might be somewhat likeable as well, I thought.

"Namjoon-ssi, Seokjin-ssi, Yoongi-ssi and Hoseok-ssi, right?" I said to the four, trying to remember their names from Mi-soo's excited flood of words. They nodded bemusedly. 

"Hi, I'm Shin-Ae. But I guess you already knew that." I laughed sheepishly.

So much for peace and quiet.

---

A/N: author-nim rises from the grave and offers minhae and saranghae~~~ remember, jeongguk isn't a jerk, he only seems that way because shin-ae doesn't know him well yet. there will be more tension between the two though! and definitely more bts~~~

preview: 

"Shut up, Jinsoo."

"You think they're actually friends with you? Please, everyone knows what a you ar-- Jeongguk-oppa!"

Hope you enjoyed~~~