Chapter Four

Not My Heonney

"It's better out here, right?" Hoseok prompts, sitting down with a sigh on the ground. The inky black sky spreads out above them, dotted periodically by the occasional twinkle of starlight. Jooheon stands on wobbling legs, falling a bit too fast against the soft, green grass and huffing out a hot breath. The stars above him begin to dance, and he pets at the grass with a shaking hand. 

When Hoseok had asked him to join him out here for some air, Jooheon had—foolishly—downed what punch had been left in his cup... Which, unfortunately, had ended up being a lot more than he'd realized. Now, he can barely get his eyes to focus on any one thing, and everything around him goes all wavy and absolutely refuses to calm down. He's vaguely aware of Hoseok laughing at him, and he can't help but pout defiantly. 

"You okay there?" the older asks, lifting a concerned brow. Jooheon murmurs something about doing just fine, not realizing he's leaning against the older boy. Hoseok coos, but it sounds like It's from far off. Hoseok’s hand rakes through his hair, the touch somehow quite comforting to the younger. 

“My… My head,” Jooheon mumbles, feeling incredibly nauseated by just the first syllable. “My head hurts, hyung.” A low whine escapes his throat through his pouty lips, and he consciously gives up on all hopes of holding himself up as he leans fully against Hoseok.  

“Don’t worry, Heonney,” he tells him, his tone gentle and comforting. “It’ll only get worse tomorrow.” Jooheon whines even louder, more high-pitched this time, and Hoseok’s chest lifts and falls with the most beautiful laugh Jooheon has ever heard. 

“You’re soniiiice, hyung,” Jooheon says, his words slurring together the more he speaks. “My brother is so mean to you, but you’re so nice to me. Why are you so nice to me? Do you like me, hyung? Because I like you. You make me blush when you look at me and you’re so nice to me and you wink at me…” He trails off, losing his train of thought as he thinks that perhaps he shouldn’t be saying all these things. But, in his drunken state, he just can’t think of why saying these things would be bad. 

Hoseok, however, is inwardly panicking. The younger’s words cause his eyes to widen, and he physically stiffens. He gulps thickly, staring thoughtfully at the grass. He’s never been called out for his flirting before… Well, at least not in any sort of positive atmosphere. If he had a dime for every time a guy’s picked a fight with him over flirting—straight or otherwise—well… he’d have a lot of frikkin dimes.  

He’s just about to reply with his intentions, about how cute Jooheon is and how much he’d like to get to know him better when the younger is a bit more sober, but a shout from behind them makes the words catch in his throat.  

“Jooheon-ah!!” 

Hoseok turns to see Hyunwoo barreling towards them, a fiercely protective sheen over his eyes the likes of which Hoseok has never seen. He’s suddenly more terrified than he’s ever been in his entire life, despite the fact that they’re only sitting there. As his same-age friend grows closer, all he can do is blubber about how it isn’t what it looks like and he swears he wasn’t trying anything because why would he??? He’s not a creep!!!  

Hyunwoo, however, seems less than impressed. He doesn’t even spare Hoseok a glance as he plucks his brother up from the ground and begins to walk off. Jooheon whines, yelling something about needing an answer, but Hoseok only remains where he sits. He knows better than to go after them with Hyunwoo looking as pissed as he does. An irate storm seems to follow him around, causing all the drunken idiots in the vicinity to part before him like the Red Sea. 

Hoseok sighs in defeat, his mouth going dry as he thinks that he’s perhaps just blown all the chances he’d had with that adorable freshman… 

 

Hyunwoo ignores Jooheon’s protests all the way home. He knows his little brother doesn’t know what he’s saying, because Jooheon would never be whining about a crush to him like this sober. Especially not when said crush is he one he’d just found Jooheon with alone in the dead of night.  

The sight of his little brother and fraternity brother sitting so close together under that blanket of stars flashes to the front of Hyunwoo’s mind, and he visibly ripples as he opens the door to his dorm with his foot. He moves swiftly though the small living area to Jooheon’s bedroom and gently lays him down on the ty mattress. He’s finally able to sigh a breath of relief at seeing Jooheon safe, here, in his room.  

“You’re so mean, hyung,” Jooheon complains, his voice heightened by the whine within it. He buries his pouting face into his pillow, his eyes shut tight.  

“I promised our parents I’d keep you safe,” Hyunwoo defends, his tone leaving no room for argument. Well, no room for argument with someone sober enough to recognize such a tone.  

“Nothiiiiing was happeniiiiing!!!” Jooheon goes on. “We were just sitting, is that illegal now??? Hoseokkie-hyung did nothing wrong!!!” 

“I don’t care,” Hyunwoo insists, standing as he’s very much not in the mood to hear this. “He’s a bad influence, and I don’t want you hanging around him. I told Appa and Eomma that they wouldn’t have to worry about you coming here because I’d look out for you. I’m sorry, but that’s just how it is. Now get some sleep, I’ll check on you in a few hours.”  

“Yooooouuuuuu get some sleep!!!” Jooheon shouts back, though it comes out more as a mumble considering how he’s already half-asleep. Hyunwoo chuckles softly. Now that his panic has subsided a bit, he can start to take mental notes on what his baby brother is like drunk so he can about it later. He ruffles the younger’s hair fondly.  

“I love you, Heonney,” Hyunwoo tells him softly. Jooheon’s thunderous snore is all the answer he gets, and he can’t help but laugh again as he moves away from the room.  

He slumps to the couch, wiping at his face exhaustedly as he drops onto the squeaky piece of furniture. He reclines his head against the back of it, allowing his eyes to fall shut. He knew better than to let Jooheon go to that house, to get him into that kind of environment! Their parents will freak when they find out!! 

Well, he consoles himself halfheartedly, at least I've got an example now about why I can't trust him there. Now I can guilt him into never even thinking about going there again, or about seeing that damn Hoseok ever again... 

Hyunwoo sighs heavily, pushing thoughts of his same-age friend away. He'll save Hoseok for later...