Chapter Three

Not My Heonney

Jooheon finds himself back on the couch after a few hours, gulping thickly as he swirls his cup of questionably fluorescent green punch. He watches as people mill about, drifting through the living room in varying states of sobriety. There’s a crowd of people filling the space between the couch and the bar, and others stumble towards the far corner, which had been made-up like a dance floor. Hyungwon bounces on his heels at the head of it behind his DJ booth. Kihyun belts out endless high notes beside him on the discount microphone, showing off his talents to an unperturbed audience.

“Quite the party, huh?” a familiar voice prompts, and Jooheon turns to see Hoseok sitting down beside him with a sigh. He takes a drink from a water bottle and leans back against the couch and spreading his legs wide. Jooheon gulps, managing a small nod. Hoseok watches him, a single brow lifting. “Hyunwoo-ya’s really got you so scared you can’t even talk to me, huh?”

His tone is dry, devoid of any flirtatious undertones, and even sounds a little disappointed. Jooheon can’t help but be surprised, as it makes him feel a bit guilty. He’d planned to try and avoid Hoseok all night, if need be, as he knows Hyunwoo wouldn’t like them talking… But, he also doesn’t want to be rude.

After all, it isn’t as if Hyunwoo’s even technically said why he doesn’t want Hoseok hanging around… He doubts it’s because of a fight or anything, so surely it’d be okay… Right?

So, with this in mind, he downs half of what remains in his cup and focuses his full attention on the older, having to bite back a wince at the nail polish remover taste filling his mouth.

“N-Not really,” Jooheon answers finally, ignoring the amused smirk pulling at Hoseok’s lips. Hoseok leans closer, and Jooheon tells himself it’s so that he can be heard over the music.

“Tell me,” Hoseok says, his voice resounding in Jooheon’s ear, “what’s got your brother so worked up this year? He used to be one of the chillest members of the fraternity, but now he’s… I don’t know. Wound up tight, I guess? This is the first time he’s come to the house, and last year he basically lived here.” Jooheon shifts in his seat, and he tells himself it’s because Hoseok is broaching on an uncomfortable subject and most definitely not because if he doesn’t get some space between himself and the older then his heart will most definitely beat out of his chest.

“… My being here is probably one of the reasons,” Jooheon finally answers, unsure if he should let Hoseok in on the big family secret. Hoseok hums, nodding to himself. A thoughtful light passes through his gaze, and the younger can tell Hyunwoo hasn’t let him in on the secret, so he’s done well in not mentioning it.

“He’s so protective of you,” Hoseok comments, sighing his warm breath into Jooheon’s ear and sending chills down the younger’s spine. “I’m not even this bad with my own brother.” He pauses, chuckling softly to himself. “Maybe I should reevaluate how I treat him or something…”

“You have a brother?” Jooheon asks, the notion catching him off-guard. Hoseok hums, and the younger can almost hear him nod. Hoseok releases another long breath, and his arms wraps around Jooheon’s waist. He rests his head on Jooheon’s shoulder, nuzzling his hair against the younger boy’s cheek.

“Yeah, he’s a few years younger than me, though,” Hoseok replies casually, as if he isn’t making Jooheon’s heart do backflips in his chest. “He’d never come to the same school as me in a million years… He’ll probably not have to come to school, anyway. Our dad’s got this small business back home that he’s always had an interest in, so he’ll probably just inherit that. Which is fine, of course. I’ve never pictured myself running a convenience, anyway. A dance studio would be more of my style…”

Jooheon relaxes in the older man’s hold as he speaks, finding the warmth emanating from him oddly comforting. He remembers when he was younger, and how he’d beg Hyunwoo to cuddle with him whenever he’d had a nightmare. It would never work out all that well, though, as Hyunwoo is like a human heater and Jooheon would always end up much too warm and have to go back to his own room. He doesn’t think he’d have such an issue with Hoseok.

Hoseok suddenly stiffens, his entire body going rigid against Jooheon’s.

“Th-Thorry,” he mutters right up against Jooheon’s ear. He clears his throat before adding, “Is this… okay?” His voice just drips with nerves, and Jooheon can’t help but smile endearingly at it. He nods after thinking for a moment, the tips of his ears burning. Hoseok heaves a breath of relief as he relaxes, holding onto Jooheon a bit tighter.

 

“Aiiiish, stop worrying so much, hyung!!” Kihyun practically yells at Hyunwoo, slapping the older boy on his shoulder before taking another drink from his cup. A loose grin pulls at his lips, and his gaze is murky. Hyunwoo eyes the cup in his hand, and then glances to Hyungwon with a cautious twinkle in his eye. Hyungwon merely gazes on affectionately, and Hyunwoo knows the younger will be of no help.

“Yah! Don’t ignore me!” Kihyun insists, shaking Hyunwoo. Or, at least, he tries, but he shakes himself much more than the older. “I’m giving you quality advice here, hyung, and you’re just ignoring it. Hoseok-hyung doesn’t mean any harm when he’s flirting with Heonney. Just let it be.”

Hyunwoo’s parts his lips to say that Hyungwon should take Kihyun back to their dorm tonight, as the boy is much too wasted by now, but something stops him. Call it sibling telepathy, call it catching the wrong vibe, call it what you will as he has no idea what to name it. Something just tells him to look over towards the last place he’d seen his brother. His words die in his throat, and he can’t help but crumple his plastic cup in his hand in silent indignation.

Hoseok, hugging Jooheon—his precious Jooheonney—from behind, on the couch. His precious little innocent brother sitting there, in the man’s arms, his pale chubby cheeks blushing a wild red. An impossibly wide smile is on Jooheon’s face, his dimples showing at the corners of his mouth.

Hyunwoo starts forward, though he isn’t quite sure what he means to do. Force the two apart? Probably. Pull Jooheon away and drag him back to their dorm? Possibly. Grab Hoseok and throw him out the nearest window? Most definitely. But, before he can even get a foot away from Kihyun’s drunken ramblings, a different friend stops him.

“Hyung!” Minhyuk says, popping up just in front of him. He has a new guy in tow, someone very obviously not used to the party scene. His eyes seem to be wider than they’re supposed to be, and he keeps looking around at all his surroundings with a sense of wonder. Hyunwoo visibly ripples, clenching his jaw at having been interrupted. Minhyuk is obviously oblivious to his mood, though, or he just doesn’t care.

“This is Im Changkyun, he’s in your brother’s year,” Minhyuk continues, beaming from ear to ear as he goes on. “He says he’s interested in rushing our fraternity!! Isn’t that great?? I think he’d fit right in, don’t you???” Hyunwoo hums, not really paying attention as he looks back in the direction of his brother.

Minhyuk babbles on as if the older is still listening. He doesn’t even bother stopping when Hyunwoo shoves passed him, heading towards a now-empty couch.