The blue sky filled with cloud prints

Contrail

        Every buddy and every member in our group thinks that she had one-sided love for me. Well, actually, it's quite the opposite. I, Jung Eunbi, started to like that dorky leader unnie first. 

        Sana? Jungkook? Screw all the names you may come up with 'cause I only have eyes on that giraffe Sowon. As you know, couple in a group has become a common knowledge that every company would love to use and promote. I can't deny that I knew this even before I joined the group but I, myself, never liked it. For me, skinship or kisses should only be done with your lover, not to mention the same group... it's totally not my thing. Moreover, I don't want our fans to make false assumptions and build up high expectations for 'arranged couples'. I hate to fail their hopes. But things can't always go the way I want. Accepting to become an idols means flowing along the current, becoming one half of the couple. That's how I met unnie, ugh, that silly Sowon. I didn't know where the idea of making me and Sowon a couple came from. I mean she's the tallest, I the shortest and we often stood next to each other in most photoshoots, which, I thought, made the formation a bit weird, the shortest always at the end of the line, next to the giant. And that giant always makes use of every chance to tease my humble height. But to my surprise, I never dislike her. 

        If Sowon were an ice cream flavor, she would be vanilla. Something ordinary, simple, plain to some but full of sweetness, which she often showers us with. And the color white of vanilla suits her best 'cause her heart is purely innocent just like that. My first impression about her was of course her height, then her sincere kindness to people around. I guess that's why the manager wanted us close since I rarely talk and she always makes sure I stay relevant to the group' activities; she takes care of me, she takes care of all of us. I guess that's how she gradually reduced my tense when facing skinship as she treated all of us the same, she hugged everyone and kissed everyone including me.

        I kept reminding myself I was doing my job so I let Sowon do the couple thing her own way. Unnie's the leader and I respect her. I always respect her for what she's done for the whole group as well as me. 

        Some months after our debut, I noticed her spending nights sitting at the group's desktop taking notes while re-watching our performance. Sometimes, she just stood by the window, looking outside, gazing endless. In front of us, she always smiled, did silly things to get teased by her dongsaengs. I know she wanted us to relax. She keeps herself staying strong to be our peck and call anytime we need her. She tries her best to look so cheerful that I almost forgot she has silent moments like this. She always keeps her thoughts and anxiety to herself, choosing to suffer from her burden alone.

        There was a night I started to observe her. That night led to many other nights afterwards.

        Unnie looked so lonely yet beautiful. If her dorky side brings the happiness and warmth to me, the lonewolf side of her dwells a pain in my heart. I always knew that she's much more mature than anyone of us but seeing her facing the outside world alone made me realize how small I was compared to her in terms of mentality and yes, height. She was like dissolved into the dark sky but her eyes were still sparkling like the stars carved on it. She just stood that for I-didn't-know-how-long and neither did i know I was attracted to the scene that much. 

        Every night she gazed at the sky, every night I stayed up late to keep her company in silence. I was not very good at communicating. I didn't know how to express my thoughts or care towards people around. That's why I always try my best to fully complete my duty for them not to worry about me. That's the way I help them lift off some burden: less useless, fewer worries. As a member in Gfriend, I think i did it well; but when seeing unnie like this, I only wished I would be more clever at talking so that I would be someone who she could lean on whenever she's tired. In such situation, I didn't know what good things to come up with.

        "Eunha? Why do you stay up this late?", Sowon suddenly turned her back asking when I was lost in my thoughts about her.
        "Ah, I was just about to grab some water", I quickly found myself the most believable answer and walked towards the fridge to get a water bottle.

        She smiled, taking long strides towards me.

        "Unnie thought you were here to admire unnie's beauty." said she, showing her smug.
        "What?!?", I choked on water because of what she said.
        "Calm down, calm down, I'm joking" , she laughed and patted my back slightly, "Sorry, Eunha!"

        I pouted and stared at her. How could she come up with such idea? To be honest, I was clueless about why I was looking at her. Sowon saw my face, stayed silent and then suddenly hugged me tightly. I was so startled by this hug that I found myself speechless.

        "Staying up late makes you shorter, don't you know that?", she whispered.

        I'm worried about you, stupid Unnie!

        "No wonder why you're this short", she released me but remained keeping her hands around me. She looked at me closer and closer. The closer she got to me, the more butterflies danced in my stomach. What's wrong with me?

        "Ouch!"

        She hit her head to mine real hard.

        "My neck hurts from looking down because you're too short, Eunha. You should hit the sack now to get some more centimeters", she let go off me, smiled brightly and shoved me to my room. 

        Opening my room door, she pushed me inside and waved to me.

        "Good night, my cute Eunha!", she turned her back and started to walk away.

        "Unnie!", I called her out.
        " what's up, cutie?"
        " You should go to sleep, too. If not, you will get shorter. You have stayed up late so many nights", I softly uttered my words.
        " I won't 'cause I get good genes", she winked " Wait! How do you know I've stayed up late so many nights?", she realized something wrong.

        "Ah, good night, Sowon!", I immediately closed the door for fear that she would sense something weird and mostly because I was scared of my heartbeat right now. It suddenly went up without me realizing. 

 


        "What's wrong with my heart?"