Chapter 3

The Subway Guy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Another weekday meaning another day of Jackson asking Jinyoung to go to school with him, or more like interrogating Jinyoung when he rejected his offer.

“I don’t get why you want to go by subway… it’s not like you don’t have a car. It has been sitting there waiting to be surrounded with spider webs. Plus if you’re too lazy to drive, you can just ride with me. I AM LONELY, JINYOUNGIE~” Jackson kept whining while shoving his face with the pancakes Jinyoung made.

“You talk too much. I need to start my morning with serenity.” Jinyoung said while sitting in front of Jackson, having done with his breakfast. He looked at the time and it was only 7am. His class started at 8.30am so he still had half an hour to kill before leaving the house.

“What’s so calming about cramping yourself on subway in the morning? Perhaps is it because of someone?” Upon hearing that Jinyoung choked from his coffee. Jackson stared at his best friend who was now blushing red.

“OH MY GOD, PARK JINYOUNG! YOU MEAN THERE IS A GUY AND I DON’T KNOW ABOUT IT???” Jackson screamed with his scandalize look.

And that was how Jinyoung found himself telling Jackson everything from A to Z about the redhead, how he thought that guy was a walking masterpiece and how he really wanted to know his name. But not about how the guy kept on running in his mind or that he was such a coward for not being able to even say hi or that he was feeling so giddy every time that guy was within close proximity.

Jinyoung was really losing it. He waited for Jackson’s usual snarky remark but surprisingly he found none. Instead Jackson had that soft look in his eyes telling him that it was okay to feel like that. “Know what Jinyoungie? If you really like him, I guess you should just let him know.”

“What if he already has a girlfriend?” Jinyoung was thinking about the worst possibility if he decided to confess, all the what ifs. He and his fear of rejections. He didn’t want to be so petty but like finding the four leaf clover that was the extent of his bad luck when it comes to being in a relationship.

“Who cares if he has one… you at least have to try. If he’s single, I would be rooting for you; but if he has someone else, you can always come crying to me, okay Jinyoungie~ you really don’t wanna regret it later right if you don’t let him know your feelings?”

Jinyoung was pondering over Jackson’s words. The latter actually made a really great sense but Jinyoung just didn’t find it in himself – yet – to say what he felt out loud, afraid that once he said those word, he might have to face the consequences. Maybe he will just remain in the dark, for now.

xxxxx

It was two days later, Mark found himself sitting on the subway with another book in his hand. On the seat opposite to him but slightly to the right, there he saw the same guy he had been seeing for the past weeks. He being the same guy Mark saw at the café few days ago.

“He doesn’t look like Yugyeom’s friend at all. Why did I even think about such possibilities?” He mumbled. Mark realized that guy was always seen writing something in his book and Mark couldn’t help but feel curious every time they met eyes.

“He always looks so contented in whatever he was – or is – writing in that small notebook of his. He is kinda cute too especially when he pouted whenever he tried to concentrate,” Mark thought to himself. He shook his head at the last part. “Stop it, Mark Tuan. Don’t be a creep.”

Mark knew the both of them went to the same university. He had seen the other heading there a few times already after they got off the subway. What he failed to figure out was which faculty the other belongs to.

He decided not to dwell on it further and continue with his reading. He just bought this new book – See Me – written by Nicholas Sparks last week after he saw it was recommended by this one unknown writer whom Mark was always interested in. He stared at the last passage he stopped at before he initiated his observing creeping saga at the raven haired stranger.

I don’t know what “normal” really means. I think everyone has his own definition, and it’s shaped by culture, by family and friends, by character and experience, by events and a thousand other things. What’s normal for one person isn’t normal for another.

Mark dwelled his thoughts on that passage. For him, it was true. Throughout his life he had always ponder about what is normal, especially when it comes to meeting other people’s expectations. In his family, it was normal for parents to force their kids to pursue the paths that they wanted and the kids had no say in it.

He was grateful the whole fiasco already stopped. Sure enough he still decided to pursue his study in Business because as the eldest son, he had and wanted – which his parents were so delighted about – to inherit their company and legacy, while Yugyeom was chasing his dreams as a choreographer and creative director.

Mark then started to wonder again about the raven haired guy. What was considered as normal for him? Was it normal for him to be stared at by another guy? Was it normal for him to walk alone and write things on his notebook?

As for Mark, he asked himself was it normal for him to feel an attraction towards another guy whom he yet to find out the name especially when he has a girlfriend?

It was just a mere attraction and nothing more.

xxxxx

“Jinyoungie hyung.. Sorry I’m late. My lecturer thought it was wise to keep her students in class for a sudden quiz.” Jinyoung heard Bambam whined from afar. It was almost 6pm and pretty much all classes had ended.

The younger had promised to meet Jinyoung in consideration with the help he requested from the latter. It was all because of Bambam’s significant finding on Jinyoung as JR. Although Jinyoung wasn’t exactly sure what the help was all about.

From the distance Jinyoung noticed that Bambam wasn’t alone. He was walking towards Jinyoung with a yellow haired guy which reminded Jinyoung of mustard. Beside him was a slightly shorter guy with a big grin plastered on his face the entire time that Jinyoung sure nothing could wipe off that smile.

Upon reaching the place where he sat, the trio took the empty chairs. Jinyoung decided to stop writing on his notebook and observed the others until the mustard guy started talking. “I am Yugyeom and this is Youngjae. Sorry to keep you waiting, hyung and I hope you don’t mind us calling you that.”

Jinyoung smiled after the introduction and made a mental note that this Yugyeom guy looked like a big, cute retriever. “Hi, guys. Don’t apologize. I just got here anyway.” He smiled showing his eye whiskers.

“Woah, Bam. You are right. This hyung really looks like an angel when he smiles.” The guy Yugyeom introduced as Youngjae suddenly exclaimed with astonishment causing Jinyoung to blush. To avoid from embarrassing himself further, he glared at Bambam who smiled sheepishly at the statement.

“Did you say something bad behind my back, Bambam-ah?” Jinyoung muttered in a low voice. The younger almost choked from his drink.

“I swear I didn’t do that. I just said that I have a very good-looking, hyung.” The younger pouted and all desires in Jinyoung to mess with the other had vanished. “But I forgot to say you were scary when you got angry.” Bambam mumbled the last part which was ignored by the older even when he actually heard those.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter