Third Year (Part 3)

Playing God (Hogwarts AU)

    Ever since the Hogsmeade trip over the weekend, Sana had pretty much avoided Nayeon. Although to be fair Nayeon hadn’t been particularly clingy either. It seemed the older Nayeon got, the colder she grew-- the more she learned, the more experiences she tried to impose on Sana. Sana was glad though at the moment that she didn’t have to explain why she wasn’t going to make an appearance at their weekly study sessions in the library because she had to be in detention. Nayeon never usually appreciated missing tradition but because Sana had been dodging her for the past two days, she wouldn’t have to break the news. Not that Nayeon cared about Sana anymore anyway. Not that Nayeon ever cared about anyone but herself in the first place.

 

Five minutes until eight and Sana was the first student to arrive in Professor Kim’s dungeon classroom. Professor Kim was sitting at her desk in the front sifting through a tall stack of papers.

 

    “Take a seat Sana,” she instructed, not bothering to look up from her work. “Hopefully you brought some homework with you.”

 

    Sana nodded and took her usual seat near the back of the room. She wasn’t new to this whole detention thing so she brought everything she needed to get through the next three hours: parchment, two quills, an energy bar, and out of Professor Kim’s view-- her cellphone.

 

A clock ticked through silence for a while until the classroom door was loudly open with a bang with Momo rushing through it’s entrance breathing heavily as if she had just sprinted there.

 

    “Sorry, am I late?” she gasped, dragging her bookbag at her ankles.

    “It’s fine,” Professor Kim told her as she dipped her quill in a bottle of ink. “Just sit down.” Momo nodded and sat at the worktable next to Sana’s, her heavy breathing taking a while to subside.

 

    Sana glanced at her from the corner of her eye and noticed that Momo was sweating-- surprisingly not in a gross way or excessively, but in a way that made her glisten slightly under the dim dungeon lights. She wondered where Momo had just came from that made her late. She knew just by attending matches with Nayeon that Momo was a quidditch player but she didn’t look like she had just rushed from practice. Her gaze lingered a little longer and she was unable to ignore how disheveled Momo looked: her hair was tousled, one of her shoes was untied and her yellow school tie was missing from her uniform. Sana couldn’t help but guess she had just came from “hanging out” with a boyfriend or something. It wouldn't shock Sana if that was the case, she knew practically everyone in the castle thought Momo was pretty. She wasn’t deaf either, she knew how the boys in their year and house talked about Momo. Even those who were concerned about Momo’s bloodtype said they would do her for the thrill of sleeping with a Mudblood, the cursed breed. Sometimes Sana also heard girls make comments as well, of course many of them were just declarations of jealousy or backhanded insults but nevertheless Sana wasn’t the only one who had thoughts about Momo’s appearance. Momo never seemed to notice though whenever guys would lean over their desks to stare at her skirt from behind or how other students would whistle at her in the corridors. She had always seemed so oblivious. But perhaps that was part of her charm. Something about innocence drives people wild. Suddenly a light, raspish voice cut through Sana’s thoughts.

 

“Do you have an extra quill?” Momo asked meeting Sana’s eyes with her own. Sana was a little startled but managed out a small laugh when she noticed the redness appearing across Momo’s cheeks. She had forgotten something again, Momo’s signature habit it seemed. Sana thought it was adorable.

 

“Yeah, here.” Sana pulled out a quill from her bookbag and handed it to the girl.

 

“Thanks,” Momo smiled, brushing her bangs out of her eyes with her hand. “Forgot mine back in my room.” Sana smiled back as she was suddenly back into a memory from her first year about a twelve year old Hufflepuff girl who had left her books on the train to the castle. Sana raised an eyebrow.

 

“Dare I ask what happened to that Remembrall of yours?” She teased resulting in a darker blush from Momo.

 

“Oh it was very helpful...” Momo grinned behind her hand that raised quickly to cover her face. “For the week that I had it.”

 

“No!” She giggled loudly at her signature ear-piercing volume-- the very volume that put her into detention in the first place.

 

“Girls!” Professor Kim warned. “No talking please.”

 

Sana rolled her eyes, but her wide smile stayed the same. Her teeth were clenched down tightly together to prevent more laughter from breaking through. Sana then scooted her stool closer to the edge of her work table and opened one of her textbooks blindly to a random page. While pretending to be reading an assignment, Sana made sure this time that her voice was as low as possible.

 

“Are you busy tomorrow?” She whispered on a whim, flipping another page in her textbook as she pulled a convincing but fake thinking face. At the table across from her Momo was scribbling nonsense on the edge of her astronomy homework.

 

“Ah quidditch match against Slytherin actually. 11:30 sharp.”

 

Sana pursed her lips in thought as she remembered Nayeon mentioning something about the group going together to the game and then having lunch afterwards. Although with their relationship at the moment Sana wasn’t sure she was up for going at all. But she might just change her mind.

 

“What about before? I’m sure you wouldn’t want to hang out afterwards, you’d be exhausted.” She whispered, watching carefully as Momo continued to draw cartoons on her paper.

 

“Wait, you want to hang out with me?” Momo asked, her quill stopping for a brief moment. Sana shrugged, trying to seem cool and collected, as if asking someone from another house to be friends for the first time wasn’t that big of a deal. She looked back down at her book but could swear she saw a hint of a smile appear across Momo’s lips.

 

“Yeah, why not? I think you’re funny.” Sana cleared . Momo took a second to respond, as if she was actually lost in her current doodles. She shrugged back.

 

“I would but I always wake up early in the mornings before the matches to practice. I don’t like playing without a warm up.”

 

Sana pondered this for a moment. If this was just a simple ‘warm up’ as Momo put it, why would she need to wake up hours before the match and practice? Something told Sana that the quidditch star didn’t become the best out of sheer luck. I mean it should’ve been obvious, no one gets the muscles that Momo has from just playing a few hours a week. She was truly dedicated.

“Let me tag along then, I want to find out if 'Miss Sports Professional' is all that people say she is,” Sana suggested teasingly, biting the end of her quill. “I wanna find out her secrets.”

 

From what Sana could tell Momo was blushing again, but this time she let her long hair cover the evidence.

 

“Really? You’d wake up at six on the weekend?” Momo asked incredulously while shaking her head.

 

“What makes you say it like that?” Sana wondered, trying hard now to keep her voice quiet and level. Momo barely knew her and yet it seemed like she could just tell that Sana was the worst morning person Hogwarts had ever admitted. Regardless, she was exactly right.

“Just… I dunno… your group— they don’t seem like early risers, let alone ones that would want to help a Hufflepuff practice,” Momo explained carefully, choosing her words slowly before she accidentally said something offensive.

 

Sana nodded, agreeing. She may have been the one in her group of friends who overslept the most, but the girls she was friends with had a fear of seeing sweat up close and heavily detested girls of other houses (with the exception of a few lucky students).

 

“The morning part is true yeah,” she accepted, “But I’m sure if Woozi had asked them they would have reconsidered.”

 

Momo laughed under her breath and shook her head, she must have known too well of the affect that specific Hufflepuff fifth year had on the girls here, all houses included.

 

“I know what you mean.”

 

A few seconds of silence passed between them as Sana figured what to say next. She flicked the feather of her quill slowly back and forth against her lips as she stared back down at her textbook again. She didn’t exactly understand the tone of Momo’s voice. Did Momo have a thing for Woozi too? Was she jealous? Or could it be that she was just annoyed that the Keeper on her team got so much unnecessary attention?

 

“He’s not really my type,” Sana murmured after a bit, swallowing an itchy feeling in . “He’s so… small.”

 

“Mine either,” Momo sighed absentmindedly, dipping her quill into some ink only to return to more drawing. “He’s nice and all but he’s a little too quiet for my taste.”

 

As simple as Momo’s statement was, Sana managed to find some solace in it. So she likes people who are talkative, Sana noted, releasing the breath she didn’t realize she was holding in.

“Besides,” Momo continued, the scratching sound of her quill scribbling on parchment without direction making Sana wince. “I’m sure just like the rest of the boys in school, he thinks I’m just ‘One of the Guys’."

 

Sana listened along but she had a hard time not rolling her eyes. There is no way in hell that boys only saw her as one of them— absolutely NO WAY. This just proved Sana's theory further of how oblivious Momo truly was. Sana cringed slightly at the memory of how the boys in their year looked at Momo. She could only imagine what the students in the other years saw in her and fantasized about. Sana decided to not speak on the matter though and chose to continue with her commitment to observing Momo’s morning practice instead.

 

“Where do I meet you then?” Sana asked, happily changing the subject. Momo grinned into her paper.

 

“Quidditch pitch. 6:30."