Mysterious

The Night Reminds Me Of You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The car stopped when they reached the house. She didn't even wait for Mister Park to get off the driver's seat and open the door for her. She did it by herself, then hurried her way upstairs, into her room, and out the window, not forgetting to lock her bedroom door in the process. 

And now, she's at the place where she wanted to be, or rather, where she needed to be. A place where her feet would drag her every time she'd feel down, just like any other day since she moved. She took small steps, taking her time in making way towards her favorite spot. It's almost the perfect place to calm her down. 

The silence. 

The cold wind.

The darkness.

The serene environment.

The night sky.

She checked the spot for sharp rocks before she allowed her to touch it. If only she had those bottles of beer from earlier, it would have made it perfect. 

Taeyeon scoffed.

"Stupid clumsy girl."

I needed those bottles right now." She looked up and massaged the back of her neck, trying to lessen her frustration. "I swear if I see her again..."

"Not even an apology. Ugh." She suddenly remembered those bullies she encountered at school earlier, which made her eyebrows furrow in disappointment.

"Does every person living in this neighborhood not have proper manners?" The urge to facepalm was strong but just shook her head in the end. Then a groan followed.

"Dammit. I hate this place!"

During her bad times, Taeyeon would always have her friends. Her friends who never fails to make her smile, her friends who can make her feel better, even if she doesn't tell them what's wrong.

Too bad her parents deleted all the contacts in her phone, except theirs, and she was sure that they blocked her friends' numbers too. It was her fault for not memorizing their contact numbers. Her mom probably knew all that she wasn't the type to do so and took advantage of it. Even her social media accounts were sabotaged.

Now all she could do is to live in regrets. Regret in not memorizing their phone numbers, regret in not spending time with them more, regret in not being able to say goodbye properly, regret in not telling them how important they are to her...
The list goes on and on.

Now she has nothing.

No freedom.

No friends.

No happiness.

 

Taeyeon hugged her knees closer when the wind blew hard. I just want to know how it feels like. One more time. I want to-

"Aw!" The immediate and inevitable reaction of her body was to shut her eyes tight as soon as a small, foreign object entered her eye. She groaned as she gently rubbed her eyes, hoping it will help lessen the pain she was experiencing. Taeyeon slowly opened her right eye and rapidly blinked before using the back of her hand to rub and wipe the wetness surrounding her eyes. When she recovered and retreated her hand though, a crumpled paper making its way towards the right in front of her caught her attention. It slowed down near her left foot, thanks to the sudden lenient wind.

When she felt an incoming strong wind, the sense of familiarity kicked in and she immediately reached out to grab it, before it could roll away a few centimeters more.

Opening it, she tilted the paper a bit to let the proper amount of moonlight allow her to read. It was rather lengthy at first sight, like twice as long as the last one, so she wasted no time and began reading.

 

Hello.

Having a bad day, huh?

That's okay. We all have 'em.

I understand it's hard to adjust to the new environment you're in.

It's understandable how you don't have friends in your new school...

yet.

But you can change that.

People won't come automatically and ask you to be their friend. 

They would only do that once they see something in you which is worthy enough for them to want to want you in their lives.

Just show them who you really are, and you'd attract the right people. Especially if they like what they see.

But it's not all one-sided. You also have to try and let them in once they knock in your doors.

You just have to remember that sometimes, starting from scratch results to a more consistent and beautiful outcome. :)

Hang on. You can do it!

By the way, did I scare you off the last time I sent you a message?

Now that I think about it, it does seem creepy. And for that, I apologize.

If this freaks you out... shall I stop then? If you tell me to, I'll stop.

I'm not a flawless person, but I'm not a bad person.

I just wanted to let you know through this that you're not alone. 

So if I stop, at least you'd know that someone's listening, even if I won't send you these messages anymore.

 

P.S. One thing is sure though... I'm not Bogeyman.

 

 

Taeyeon took her time to digest every word written on that paper. It was long but it seemed like every line she read stuck in her mind and heart. Whoever is writing her these messages surely had experienced many things in life to be able to say such things. But everything in that paper made sense. How the heck could it make her feel like the one who sent it knew her so well? Suddenly, the heavy feeling she's been carrying since she climbed up here has been lifted off. Gone. Washed away by the magical words sent by the mysterious writer. 

She almost smiled, but luckily caught herself just as her lips were about to move. She took one good look around her once more, making sure to linger at the possible places which could be used as a hideout. She knew that the mysterious person was just around, listening, and probably watching her from afar. Clearing , with the intent to make her voice loud enough for whoever it was lurking around to hear.

"I know you're listening right now."

She paused, and realized that she was waiting for an answer which would probably never come. So she continued...

"so umm... thanks. F-for this." Taeyeon lifted the paper up, then looked around with the thought that the mysterious person might step out of their hiding place to take a peek, and perhaps she could catch a glimpse of them, but saw not even a shadow. "I really appreciate this, you know. Also the other message you sent me the other night."

"And yeah, I... did get a bit creeped out when I read your first message, but it did help me divert my mind from my problems, just like it did mine today. And let me tell you that I didn't think it was possible." She took a deep breath.

"To be honest, I was planning to drink my heart out tonight. I bought several bottles of beer but a girl ran into me and knocked them to the ground and well... tada! I don't have 'em anymore." 

"I thought it was the only way to forget my problems, no matter how cliche that sounds." Taeyeon chuckled. "But on second thought, I don't think I would've seen or caught this crumpled paper if I was too drunk to notice it being blown by the wind. So aside from you, I guess I should thank her too, after all." She stopped with what she's doing and held it an arms-length away from her face to study it.

"I'd appreciate it more if you'd stop crumpling the paper." She giggled. "It would also help me read it better." Her eyes trailed down to the bottom of the paper and made her remember the question she's been so curious about.

"Who are you, though? You never place any name on your messages." She sandwiched the paper with her hands and tried to straighten it out. "Could you tell me, perhaps?" She thought carefully before adding. "... on your next letter?" She internally smiled.

"I mean, yeah. Please don't stop. I love reading what you have to say. It does more than you think and it would be nicer to have someone answer back since I know that moon and the stars won't even answer back."

"I'll look forward to it, okay?"

 

---

 

Feeling a lot better than the day before, Taeyeon didn't even mind the stares and murmurs the other students were giving her when she arrived in school today. She wasn't even conscious of the fact that their were extra skips in between her steps, albeit barely noticeable.

"Well, well, well... if it isn't miss defender of the oppressed?" She stopped in her steps to see the same tall guy from yesterday, along with his two other friends behind him, her mood suddenly turning one hundred eighty degrees.

Taeyeon raised her eyebrows. "Siwon, right?"

He scoffed.

"Wow... you really are keeping this game up. This 'pretending not to know me' thing." Siwon made quotation marks in the air.

"I ain't playing any game. I just don't really know you." She shrugged, nonchalance strong in her eyes. He stuck his tongue in the side of his mouth, and Taeyeon almost took it as a sign of his pride being hurt, but he suddenly laughed again, and she knew he was determined to salvage his image in front of his 'fangirls'.

"Okay then. Actually it's 'Choi Siwon the great' but yeah, just Siwon for you." He added an extra wink at the end, which caused some of the girls watching nearby to squeal, and some starting to whisper how lucky she was. The effect wasn't the same for Taeyeon, though. She wanted to barf. What an egoistic person. A person who lives off of other people's compliments and praises, doing everything he could just to please others and rai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter