Basketball

Sing Me a Melody

The bell rung and it was lunchtime. Minji remained sitting down while others scrambled out of their seats to go to the cafeteria.

“Hey Minji, you ok?” a voice beside her questioned. It was a girl with white creamy complexion; she wore her shiny black hair short, just above her shoulders with her tiny onyx eyes staring intensely at Minji. It was Yumi, her best friend.

“Yeah, just bored,” Minji lied, not meeting her eyes.   

“Oh,” Yumi remarked with her eyes piercing eyes suspiciously. “Right,” she shrugged it off. “I had to poke the hell out of you earlier so that you’ll snap out of it,” she continued with her warm smile. “Well, how about we go outside so you wouldn’t be bored.”     

“Nah, I’m fine here, you can go if you want"

“Kim Minji! Stop being lazy and unsociable! Get your up here and come with me,” she exclaimed irritated while crossing her arm. Yumi's eyes were staring fiercely at Minji.

“Fine, fine. I’ll go with you."

“Yayy! Come on, let’s go quickly,” Yumi shouted cheerfully while she took her arm.

“Park Yumiko, you’re unbelievable! What are you bipolar?” Minji exclaimed.

Yumi continued on smiling, “Uh-huh yea I know.”

Minji continued staring at her amazed at Yumi's personality. One second she can be serious and the next she's happy happy excited. Yumi was even skipping while they walked towards the cafeteria.

“You know, you love me,” she commented. “Oooo, look at that,” Yumi pointed at one of the lunch tables that’s surrounded by a crowd of students.

Minji turned to where she was pointing and noticed that it was mostly girls surrounding this guy and his other friends. Minji didn't care much so she continued walking and left Yumi as she continued to observed the crowd. Minji went ahead to get food and looked for a free table to sit down.

“Heyyy, there you are. I was just talking and then when I turned you weren’t there anymore. I didn’t even realize I was talking to myself,” Yumi frowned and sat down. “You know, it was that new guy in our class over that crowded table. He’s kind of cute too,” she pointed towards them.

Minji smirked and said, “Well, I guess you were too busy ogling at him so you didn’t even noticed I left.”

“But he is cute and I heard he plays BASKETBALL,” Yumi enunciated the last part and raised her eyebrows.

At that instant, Minji dropped her fork and looked up at Yumi who had a smug face on.

“Who cares?” Minji responded annoyed. Out of anger, she stood up and threw out her half-eaten spaghetti.

Meanwhile, two guys left the crowded table and headed towards Yumi and Minji.

“Yo, Yumi!” Kikwang greeted. 

Since Minji was still annoyed of Yumi, she continued storming out of the cafeteria. 

“Minji-ah, where you going?” Kikwang yelled out but she didn’t even stop and just ignored him.

Minji's thoughts were filled with that single phrase as she walked towards the deserted marble hallways.  Basketball. It kept ringing in her mind.

"Why did Yumi have to remind me of that word?" Minji thought to herself, by then, cold teardrops started cascading down her cheeks. "It reminds me so much of him…"