Rainbow

Rainbow Bridge

"And the princess and the grandson lived happily ever after."

Siyeon finishes as Eunwoo smiles sleepily under the covers. The girls were rewarded with a free day today and after practice, the members had all trooped back to the dormitory, happy that they could get a good night's rest. Siyeon and Eunwoo were no exception so here they were, laying contentedly next to each other under Siyeon's grey blanket.

"Did I mention before how brilliant you look when you smile? It's almost like you're glowing."

Siyeon eyes disappear behind familiar cresents, mischevious grin causing sparkles to dance around in her eyes as Eunwoo whines in embarrassment from under her hand and smacks her hard on her shoulder with the other.

"Well it's true!"

Siyeon huffs softly as she burrows that much closer to Eunwoo under the blanket. The other girls in their room have long since fallen asleep and despite the exhaustion the two of them feels creeping in their bones, their hearts won't let them rest just yet. Eunwoo merely rolls her eyes and turns her back to the younger girl, an amused smile hidden behind her curtain of hair when Siyeon grumbles from her side of the bed. Ever since her admission, Siyeon has been everything Eunwoo had wished for as a soulmate and more. And there was not a day that went by where Eunwoo did not fall harder for her. So she shifts back, pushing her hair behind her ears to meet Siyeon's clear black eyes. If she looked long enough, Eunwoo swore she could see the stars, the Milky Way, the entire galaxy and its cosmos stretched before her. 

"Hey," 

She breathes out into Siyeon's lips, breathes in Siyeon, mirroring the smile that now paints her face a bright sunshine yellow in the dim orange light of the bedside lamp. Siyeon glances shyly at Eunwoo's lips from underneath her eyelashes and Eunwoo moves closer with an indulgent smile, pressing one feather-light kiss on the corner of . 

"Tell me another story?" 

Now Siyeon rolls her eyes but Eunwoo detects no annoyance, just pure love. So she pokes her side once.

"So demanding."

Another sharp poke and Siyeon relents with a barely there sigh. She opens her arms and Eunwoo silently cheers, immediately rolling into Siyeon's personal space and feeling the safest she has ever felt. 

"Once there was a young, orphan girl. She was bright-eyed, naive and thought the world was beautiful in its hundred shades of black, grey and white. People asked her why she was so captivated by dull colours that had no meaning but she only smiled and shrugged. To her, colours did not mean anything when soulmates would not always love each other. Her own parents were prove of that."

Siyeon paused and the both of them waited with baited breath as Kyungwon rolled over in her bed, mumbling something incomprehensible under her breath.

"She took comfort in the monochrome and she grew into a beautiful girl with hair like blazing rubies and eyes like glistening emeralds. But she couldn't see it and she didn't want to. Since she was old enough, the orphanage told her that she had to go find work and she did so without complaint, already so grateful that they have taken care of her thus far. In the neighbouring village, there was a rich family in need of servants. Of course the girl left for the job as soon as she could. They were gathered and the girl was placed in the stables, to take care of the horses there. She made her first friend, the stable hand, a young boy who was wise beyond his years. "Your hair reminds me of the jewels that Madame loves to wear." He had grinned up at her, all teeth and shining eyes. "The second son is my soulmate," He had continued when the girl did not reply and at her raised eyebrow, he had shrugged. "He doesn't know." The girl had nodded and together, the two of them began brushing the horses down."

Eunwoo yawns and Siyeon instantly falls silent. But then she's shaking her head, pouting so that she would finish the story for her.

"The next day, all the new servants were gathered to be introduced to the family. And when the girl entered the room at last, she finally knew what it meant to be captured by eyes that were of your soulmate. They were the greenest blue she had ever seen, like the speckled lake that shone green, pink, orange and purple under the light of the setting sun. But it was only for a second, because she had hidden at the far back and snuck out the minute the introductions had ended. Her friend had only sighed and hugged her tight, hands curling uselessly around her middle."

"I can't help but think that this girl reminds me of someone."

Eunwoo interrupts and Siyeon had the decency to grin sheepishly.

"The two friends loved the horses and often rode them when to the top of the hill near the mansion to watch the sunrise. There, they would talk about everything. The stable hand's soulmate, their young master, saw them riding around the fields one morning when he woke up and could not fall back asleep. Nevertheless, he was curious about the boy whose straw coloured hair shone gold and the girl who seemed to be trailing fire under the light of the morning sun. So he visited the stable one day, when it was just the girl brushing down his favourite horse."

"She must have been shocked. I can imagine."

Siyeon laughs and nods.

"She was, but the young master talked to her and treated her like an equal, until she didn't feel all that different from him. And that was what she told her friend but still, he did not want their young master to know. Now, the eldest sister began noticing how tired her brother would be during their meals together and asked him why that was so. So he told her, and the eldest sister realised that was the only servant that she had not seen."

"But what about the stable hand?"

"Well, to cut the long story short, they met, fell in love even though the young master did not know that he was his soulmate and lived happily ever after. But really, we're not here for their story."

Eunwoo laughed as she snuggled closer to Siyeon, sighing contentedly when she reached up to run gentle finger through her hair. 

"They met and the eldest sister immediately took a liking to the girl, they had almost everything in common. And she fell in love. Their bond only grew stronger and stronger and stronger and both of them fell deeper and deeper. Until their parents told the eldest sister that she was betrothed to another."

"What? Betrothed? What ty time period is this?"

"A time period where horses were still relevant, now do you want me to continue?"

"Fine, but I'm telling Kyungwon eonnie tomorrow morning."

"Seriously Eunwoo... whatever. So, she was heartbroken but even more when the girl only had well wishes on her lips. There was no loud confessions in the middle of the hall, no blatant declarations of her undying devotion. The girl merely grinned and hugged her close, saying that she'll miss her. But the eldest sister didn't know that she cried for hours in the stable hand's arms when she left. On the day of the wedding, everyone was present, all the relatives, the people in the village and the servants. The girl stood far away in the back of the field. And silently thanked the eldest sister for showing her colours. Because of her, she could see how wildflowers painted the fields  in a million different colours in spring, see the colour of the warm golden sun throw dark shadow against the grass during summer, run through all the shades of red, orange, brown and fading green during autumn, breath in the sharp crystalline white of the icicles in winter. And as she mused, the priest said-"

"Wait, Park Siyeon I swear if it's a sad ending I'm not letting you sleep here anymore."

"It's not! Anyways, let me finish would you?"

"Sorry."

"So the priest asked if anyone wanted to stop the wedding? The stable hand nudged her when she didn't move and the girl looked up. Straight into the eldest daughter's eyes. And they saw so many different​ colours all at once, there was no denying who their soulmates actually was."

Eunwoo who had been listening with rapt attention now yawned and Siyeon pressed a quick kiss to her forehead.

"And then the wedding was called off and the eldest daughter got to be with the girl?"

"Yes, that's what happened."

Siyeon grinned down at Eunwoo, who replied with one that was much sleepier. There was a sudden rush of affection, so much so that Siyeon could not stop the words that she had always kept under her tongue from tumbling out . 

"I love you, Jung Eunwoo."

"Love you too Park Siyeon and nothing will change that."

Then, they fell asleep and just before Siyeon closed her eyes, the moon seemed to shine a brighter yellow in the cloudless, midnight blue sky. 

Just before Siyeon closed her eyes, Jung Eunwoo, her world, was washed in colours.

And when she opened them again the next morning, the first thing she saw were bright hazel eyes filled with so much joy, relief and happiness, they shone brighter than the morning sun.