Pick Up Lines

Colorful_World Round 3 Submissions

Title: Pick Up Lines
Prompt-#: 146
For:
@ TypeYourAnswer
Pairing: 2min
Author: 
nonsensicalnonsense & ao3
Word count: 1.7k words
Rating: PG
Warnings: No warnings
Summary: All the times Minho uses horrible pickup lines on Taemin.

______________________________________________________________________________

 

            It was another boring Thursday evening for Minho. Typically, Thursdays meant Minho would find himself studying for his classes in the university’s library but on that evening he just couldn’t bring himself to do that. Not when watching the boy who was seated at one of the tables across from him was far more interesting.

            Minho wasn’t sure if he knew him. He didn’t really expect himself to — this was college, not high school — but Minho wished he could at least put a name to the face because damn, was that a nice face.

            Minho found himself staring at the boy’s plump lips; at the way his lower one was trapped underneath his teeth while he was hunched over the textbook he was invested in. Minho could’ve sworn the boy didn’t have a single flaw on his face and with the way his cheeks were flushed pink from the heat in the library, Minho didn’t think he had seen anyone more enticing then the boy.

            Minho was still staring too openly at the boy when he raised his head and his warm eyes met his; causing Minho to drop his gaze abruptly.

            The boy didn’t seem to notice, or care, about Minho’s staring so he took back to staring. He found himself watching the way he would bring a hand up to his dark hair often to brush the bangs from his eyes. He watched the way his eyes travelled at the speed of light from his textbook to the page in his notebook he was frantically scribbling on.

            Minho didn’t want to interrupt him, he really didn’t, but he felt himself drawn to the boy so he stood and tried to come up with a way to strike up a conversation with him.

            Minho was about to give up, leave the library and forget the boy, but he thought on something he had heard a few days ago and couldn’t help but laugh a bit when he realized how well it worked in his situation.

            Minho used a good majority of his courage as he walked to the boy’s table and sat down on it; right next to the boy’s books. When the boy looked back up again this time it was at Minho with wide, curious eyes and Minho felt most of the air leave his lungs.

            “Can I help you?” The boy whispered carefully; confusion written all over his features.

            Minho cleared his throat before flashing the boy a charming smile that drained more of his courage before saying, “I don’t have a library card, but do you mind if I check you out?”

            Minho looked hopefully at the boy, hoping at least maybe he had a sense of humor and could find Minho’s attempt funny if anything, but when the boy’s eyebrows furrowed in anger Minho smiled sheepishly at him.

            “Yes, I mind. I mind it a lot. I’m a bit busy. Please go away before…” The boy’s angelic, sweet aura suddenly turned a bit aggressive and Minho found his eyes widening as he held his hands up in surrender. He knew the boy didn’t have to finish his sentence to sound threatening but whatever would have come after that most likely would’ve scared Minho off.

            Minho gulped. He at least wanted the boy’s name before leaving. He didn’t know whether or not to test his luck but maybe the boy hadn’t understood that he had been joking when he had said that and all he had been trying to do was start a conversation between the two of them. Or maybe he was just playing hard to get.

            Minho in a breath before trying again, “So, do you have a name or can I call you mine?” Minho said meekly, not missing the surprised look on the boy’s face. He must’ve thought Minho wasn’t dense enough to try that again.

            Minho figured he wasn’t getting a response to that and just keep going, “Hey, my name’s Minho, but you can just call me lover.” He tried giving his name first instead; hoping for a reaction.

            Minho watched as the boy raised his head from his textbook; staring at Minho now with a horrified look on his face.

            “Oh my god. Please leave me alone.” Not the reaction he had been looking for.

            “You got it.”

 

            The next time Minho saw the boy, they’re were both off campus and Minho spotted him in a cafe. Minho hadn’t planned on getting coffee but upon seeing the boy he couldn’t help himself. A hot coffee on a cold December day wasn’t a bad idea anyway.

            Minho entered the warm interior of the cafe, thankful to be out of the cold, as he scrolled through the pick up lines he had been looking at on his phone; saved just in case he saw the boy again.

            “Your is so nice. It’s such a shame you have to sit on it.” Minho didn’t know why he picked that one; maybe he just wanted to start with something attention grabbing. He had a minor hope that maybe this could become their thing but judging by the boy’s reaction, they’d get nowhere if that was the case.

            “Oh dear god.” The boy muttered under his breath, not even laughing or smiling a bit at Minho, before lowering his head when Minho sat across from him with his coffee as if Minho wouldn’t be able to tell it was him if he hid his face a tiny bit.

            “Listen, I’m sorry, alright? But there’s something wrong with my eyes because I can’t take them off you.” Minho found himself laughing lightly at his own failed attempts to flirt; not really minding that they were failing if he could just manage to make the boy laugh too.

            He was thinking maybe he’d never get through to the boy but then he thought maybe, just maybe, he had saw his lips curled up in something similar to a smile so maybe he was getting somewhere.

            “You have got to be kidding me. Are you done? Did you run out of them yet?” The boy said in exasperation and Minho grinned while shaking his head.

            “Trust me. I’m just getting started.” Minho beamed at him and the boy scoffed before taking a sip of his coffee as if he was hoping Minho would just get up and leave.

            “Can you go use them on someone else?” The boy said in annoyance, “What did I ever do to deserve this?” There might have been a slight smile when the boy finished that sentence but Minho still couldn’t tell for sure because the boy quickly masked it with frustration.

            “There’s only you, baby.” As soon as Minho said this he regretted it because the boy collected his things and stood to leave and Minho knew even if he apologized for being a complete douche, there was no chance the boy would sit back down.

 

            Minho wasn’t purposely looking for the boy around campus now but it seemed that every time he turned the corner, every time he’d scan the crowd he was in, he’d find the boy.

            Minho usually just let them pass each other. The boy always looked busy, he either had his eyes on a book in his hand or his phone, but on the one occasion he actually bumped into Minho for that reason, Minho took that as a sign from fate that they were supposed to talk again.

            “Wait!” Minho called out to the boy once he had pulled him off the floor only for the boy to immediately look like he was about to run when he noticed who it was he had bumped into.

            “What? I swear if you…” The boy threatened as he turned to face Minho again and Minho flashed him a charming smile.

            “No, I’m just a bit lost and need directions.” As the words left his mouth, the boy’s own mouth formed an ‘o’ as he looked almost apologetic. Minho almost felt bad for the next words that left his mouth.

            “So, if I go straight, will I be able to reach your heart?” Minho chuckled as he watched the boy’s face go from apologetic to confused to just simply annoyed.

            “I knew it. Why did I even hear you out?” The boy said in exasperation as he shook his head; obviously upset with himself for not walking away in the first place.

            “Sorry,” Minho said sheepishly as he gave the boy an apologetic smile, “it’s just that you remind me of my big toe because I can see myself banging you on every piece of furniture in my house.” Minho knew that one hadn’t even been smooth but the look on the boy’s face made it worth it.

            “You did not just say that to me.” The boy said in denial as he turned and walked quickly from Minho who was left to laugh at how red the boy’s face had gotten from his statement.

           

            “You know,” Minho had managed to find the boy when he had been walking from one of his class late in the day, “I’m pretty bad with words.” Minho said as he sat down next to him on the bench he had been sitting on while being mindful of the snow piled up on the sides.

            “You don’t think I can’t tell.” The boy laughed as he looked at Minho for the first time without a hint of annoyance in his eyes.

            “Alright, hit me.” The boy said suddenly, catching Minho off guard, “I’m ready for whatever horrifying statement is going to come out of you mouth. If anything I’m a bit excited at this point.” When the boy saw the way Minho’s eyes lit up at that he quickly added, “You know, I’m curious to see how creative you’ll get even though I don’t think you’ll top the last one because that was just plain horrible.”

            Minho laughed lightly as he racked his mind for just one more pick up line. Something that would at least make the boy laugh if anything.

            “Are you a magician because every time I look at you everyone else disappears.” He didn’t know why he decided on that one because it wasn’t exactly funny but maybe he wasn’t in a funny mood that day. Today he just finally wanted the boy’s name.

            The boy’s eyes widened before he gave Minho a genuine smile that had him breathless.

            “I actually like that one.” The boy said with a smile on his face, “It’s kind of sweet.”

            The two left it at that. Neither of them spoke for a while, just sat there in comfortable silence, before the boy broke the silence after a bit.

            “By the way, I’m Taemin.”