Nora- You Are... The Unknown

REFLECTION: The Story of Nora & Joon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My pulse heated and I knew I was staring off into space my eyes going unfocused. I was no longer standing in the middle of a department store in the mall with Jennie and Natalie, I was back at that pool with Joon; his hands on me. Never before had the simple act of someone’s hand making contact with my leg and absently rubbing it had aroused me so much. What the hell was it about him? That just with one look, one touch, I was ready to throw all my clothes off and attack him on the spot. It hadn’t been like this last night had it? I didn’t feel this all-encompassing need to feel his touch all over me. Yeah there was definitely a bit of attraction, but mostly it was companionship and curiosity.

What had changed?


This attraction was strange. I wouldn’t say that I only dated “my own kind” but I’d never been with any guy who wasn’t black. I would see a random white guy and go ‘oh he’s cute,’ absently; or an Asian guy, or Hispanic guy but I’d never pursued them and they’d never pursued me. But there was something about Joon, something more than a passing offhand ‘he’s attractive.’ Every one of his features enticed me and were perfectly him. Did Asian guys even date outside of their race? I wondered idly. It seemed like a completely ridiculous question, I mean of course Asian people had too, there were too many mixed raced babies. What I specifically guess I was wondering was, were Asian guys attracted to black girls? Having to think about this was making me distinctly uncomfortable because never before had I ever had to think in these terms. That the fact that I was a black woman would make a man disinterested, I mean I know I was pretty, I’d been complimented and hit on enough to know that. My mom and dad had given me their best genes. So why wouldn’t any guy no matter their ethnicity be interested?


“Earth to Nora.” Natalie said snapping her fingers in front of my face.

I jolted out of my thoughts and focused on the girl in front of me. “We’re done here, are you still looking? We want to go somewhere to eat.” Natalie and Jennie were standing there looking at me impatiently. I hadn’t been much fun on this little shopping trip we’d spontaneously planned instead of attending our classes; and the blame lies solely on Joon Kim. My mind was completely occupied with thoughts of him, replaying our time together last night, our brief encounter earlier in the day, and what would happen tonight.


“You guys go ahead, not in the mood to eat.” I told them sending them away. Because of how absent minded I had been I forgot that I wanted to find something cute to wear tonight. It wasn’t a date and it definitely wasn’t supposed to be anything special, but I wanted to look nice. I wanted to see that light of appreciation and attraction in his eyes. So yeah I was going to make damn sure I looked good tonight and to hell with the fact that I usually could care less about making this much of an effort. I didn’t date, I had when I felt like it and that was that. I didn’t want to spend time with the dude I was ing, talking to him, and getting to know him and all that stuff. I was just interested in him for the physical release his body provided. So I wasn’t sure what I hoped to gain by attracting Joon’s attention, making him want me. It went against everything I’ve ever done because I definitely wanted to get to know him more, and I like spending time with him and talking to him.


I groaned. The boy had me all types of messed up. Then I grinned because despite all the inner turmoil this was the most alive I’d felt in a long time.

Joon and I had agreed to meet at his apartment. I’d drive my car over and park it so that me and him could decide on where we were going to go. We had nothing planned, not even what we were going to do because as I said before this wasn’t a date. It was two friends hanging out.


I had to keep reminding myself of that fact, friends. God I’d just met the guy last night and all I could think about was getting him . Not that the length of time I’d known a guy had stopped me before, but Joon was different. I didn’t want, whatever this was between us to be spoiled. Not so soon. I was so comfortable with him, and I enjoyed talking to him and trying to figure out how that big brain of his worked. Having with each other would spoil all of that, I just knew it would. So that’s exactly why at the last minute I’d pulled off the short summery dress that barely covered my upper thighs and opted instead for a pair of black skinny jeans and my favorite teal silk blouse. I’d left my hair out and free because honestly, I didn’t feel like trying to tame it into any type of style. I plugged in the address

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter