Awkward Introductions 01

Adventures of Manager Noona Miku

You’d think that in a city as busy, and loud as Seoul there would be no area in the city that could be so quiet. You’d be wrong. The eerie silence that seeped into the room like deadly gas. A gas that makes things awkward. Awkward gas. (To be fair most situations with gas makes things awkward, but that’s beside the point). I moved across the world to stand in this vast, and important (?) conference room to introduce myself to a group of boys that seemed uninterested in what I was saying. Which wasn't new for me at all.

“Hello. My name's Miku. I hope to be a great manage for you. Nice to meet you all.” Wow, good job sprinkling that awkward dust throughout the room Miku. One of the boys spoke up first, deciding to use his limited and broken English to ask me a question. Well, at least he tried.

“You… lady America?” I think he asked if I’m American. I decided to continue speaking to him in my best Korean, it wasn’t Native-level by any means, but I worked hard to at least be understandable.

“Am I American? Yes, I am from a state in the middle of the United States called Iowa.” I reply. The boys seemed a little more interested now.

 

The CEO gave me a light press to my lower back pushing me closer to the conference table that they were seated at. Quietly he said, “Please sit. You can chat with them for a little bit. I will be back with another manager to give you your building tour, and you can shadow them for the day. If you like it we can sign your contract Monday morning.” I get a little excited hearing that. I look over and bow excitedly shaking my head.

“Yes sir, I understand. Thank you.” He smiles and nods at me before leaving. I sit at the table across from them, and give each of the boys a scan over; noticing that they all look pretty young. Just got to love the Entertainment Industry. I decide to start this conversation just like I had learned would work best to make conversation.

“So what are all your names?” I point to the boy on my far left first. Giving a little eyebrow wiggle. He blushed a little before looking over at the other boys then back at me.

“Yoon Sanha” I nod at him.

“Nice to meet you Yoon Sanha,” I point to the next boy. “And your name?”

“Kim Myung Jun”

“Nice to meet you Kim Myung Jun” I continue down the line of boys at the table.

“Park Min Hyuk”

“Moon Bin”

“Park Jin Woo”

“Lee Dong Min”

I give a finishing clap before pressing my hands on the desk, and standing. I reach out to shake all of their hands. They reach over, and shake mine as well. They seem a little more comfortable with me already.

 

“So how old are you guys?” Myung Jun answered first puffing his chest a little before speaking.

“Well I’m obviously the oldest if you cant tell, I assume you’re gonna' have to call me MJ Oppa since I'm 24. What about you?” I can’t help but snort at that comment. I roll my eyes a little.

“If you’re the oldest member then I know for a fact you all will be calling me Manager Noona because I’m 25.” They gawk at my response. By their expression I can assume they didn't think I was 25. “How old did you think I was Myung Jun?” He begins to stutter a little around his words obviously very flustered suddenly.

“Oh, I um, I thought you maybe were um…19 or 20 probably. I didn’t think you were any older than 21. I was obviously wrong. I’m sorry” he rubs the back of his neck shyly stammering through his sentence. He was no longer making eye contact.

“It’s no issue, I’m glad I look young still, it’s a compliment definitely!” I’m hoping to keep the conversation light. I don’t want to leave a bad taste in their mouths after interacting with me, especially not on our first encounter. “I do hope we can make lots of good memories, and have lots of success together! Fighting…” I realized I didn’t know their groups name yet. Now it was my turn to be embarrassed. “I never got a chance to ask, what are you going to go by as a group, like your brand name?”

Myung Jun rose up again in excitement. Maybe he was the one to come up with the name I wonder. or maybe he just really liked the name.

 

“We chose ASTRO!” the Korean pronunciation of the English word made me giggle a little to myself. Asuhtuhrow.

 

I nod in understanding before making a fist, and giving a little punch in the air.

“ASTRO FIGHTING!” I say with a big grin. They all smile cheesily from ear to ear before following my lead.

“ASTRO FIGHTING!”

 

I mean maybe things will go smoothly, although at first awkward; it wasn’t terrible. "This will be a piece of cake" I say in my head… yeah. Easy Peasie lemon squeezie.