Survivor

Seventh Petal

                “Ma… I’m so sorry…”

              He saw her with her back against him. Her long black hair glistened under heavenly lights. He remembered how each strand would smell like apple cinnamon, the scent of her favorite baked good clinging to her skin.

                “Ma, you know I didn’t mean to… You know I never wanted to…”

                He reached out to her, but his fingertips seemed miles away. The distance between them was so short, but nonetheless impossible to cross. She turned to face him, her dark hues glowing like moonlit waters and her pale lips curled into a sad smile.

                “Ma, I miss you…”

                He awoke, choking on his own tears with his small frame shaking. Instinctively, he reached for the silver cross pendant hanging from a thin chain around his neck. His fingers felt the edges of the cool metal and let them sink into his skin. The small tinge of pain calmed his harsh breathing and slowed his racing heartbeat.

                It was the same dream every night. He had hoped that time would ease his wounds, but the long miserable years had not been so kind. It was the same pain, the same guilt as he dreamed of her face, the face he still remembered as if he had seen her smile only yesterday.

                Someone shuffled under the sheets next to him and let out a low moan. “Taehyung, you’re up already?”

                “Yeah. Good morning,” he replied, trying his best to act as if everything was normal.

                His hyung let out another moan. “What time is it? It’s not even bright out.”

                Taehyung checked the alarm clock beside the bed. “5:40 AM.”

                “What the hell?” the other complained, bringing the bed sheet over his face. “Get back to sleep. I refuse to wake up a minute before 6:30 AM.”

                “Okay,” Taehyung murmured, still shaken by his nightmare.

                “Are you alright?” There was concern in the older boy’s voice. He peaked out from underneath the covers. “You’re really pale.”

                “I’m fine,” he lied.

                “You’re sweating, too.” His hyung reached out to feel his forehead and flinched. “You don’t have a fever, but you’re ice cold.”

                “I’m really okay, Namjoon hyung.”

                “No, you’re not,” Namjoon shook his head at him. He threw the blankets over the younger boy as he stretched and got out of bed. “I’ll make you some breakfast before we head out. Stay here and warm up, okay?”

                “I’m really fine –”

                Namjoon lightly tapped him on the head before he could finish. “Just listen to me, okay? You got to take better care of yourself.”

                Taehyung was in awe. Ever since the accident, Namjoon had been the only one who had been there for him. The two had met by chance – Taehyung had been trying to steal food when he had run away from his family. Namjoon had caught him and, instead of scolding him, he had paid for everything and had invited him over for dinner. Eventually, Namjoon’s small flat that could hardly fit a bed and a worn down television had become Taehyung’s safe haven. It was the only place that really felt like his home anymore.

                “Thank you, hyung,” Taehyung said as he lied back down, slowly drifting back to a dreamless sleep.

***

                Surprisingly, Taehyung felt extremely refreshed from his few minutes of slumber. After extending his limbs, he got out of bed and was hit with a wave of delicious scent. Namjoon was definitely making pancakes and toast, his favorite breakfast meal. With his mood brightened, he entered the bathroom to get ready for the day.

                Cold splashes of water felt so good against his skin. Taking deep breaths, he stared into the mirror above the sink. His hair, dark brown with bangs that almost covered his eyes, were ruffled from sleeping and his eyes looked hollow with thick dark circles accompanying them. Many people had passed by his life and had complimented his appearance, but Taehyung wasn’t so sure anymore. He had a boyish face, constantly adorned with black and blue bruises and a swollen lip. It wasn’t so bad now that he had run away far away from him. Subconsciously, he flinched, remembering the impact of his father’s right hand empowered by the emerald ring he treasured more than his only son – a ring he had matched with his classmates when the group had graduated police academy. Once the ring had caught Taehyung’s skin mid-assault and had torn a piece of his flesh off. The memory burned in his mind and the scar that ran along his forearm never let him forget.

                His father was no longer a cop. But even before then, he had been a ty person.

                And he had never been a good father.

                “Ay, V! How you feeling?” Namjoon greeted him when he exited the rest room and sat down by the small coffee table. V. It was a nickname his favorite hyung had given him. He didn’t know why his hyung called him that, but it never failed to put a smile on his face. It was as if he was a superhero ready to take on the world. It was a childish feeling, but sometimes he needed the extra push to get through the day.

                “Better,” V reassured him and inhaled the wonderful smell of syrup. “There’s nothing in the world your breakfast can’t cure.”

                “Aw,” Namjoon grinned and patted the younger boy on the head, making him pout like a small puppy. “You’re too cute. Eat well. We got a long day ahead of us.”

                It was true; the two had been counting down the days until today. Taehyung observed his hyung with wide eyes: Namjoon was tall and his appearance was more of a man than a boy. His chestnut hair complimented his dark eyes and thick lips. Many thought he looked intimidating, especially when he towered over them without a trace of a smile on his face. However, Taehyung knew how kind he really was – Namjoon had always showered him with a brotherly gentleness that he had never experienced before.

                However, Namjoon did have a rough side to him. He had been born into a rich family that had been torn down by internal betrayal. His parents had been driven to suicide – something V had only heard as a whispered rumor around him. Refusing to be fostered by his aunt who had stabbed his parents in the back out of greed, Namjoon had fled when he was only thirteen. When he was struggling to live on the streets, he was picked up by an older boy who went by the name Raven. Raven gave him food and shelter and helped him survive when he had nowhere else to go. Then one day, Raven disappeared and was never found again.

                “I never even knew his real name,” Namjoon had confessed one night when the two had shared their stories over half a dozen bottles of soju. “I always wondered how I would ever thank him for saving my life. Then one day, he was gone. Dead. Knifed in the stomach. He could have lived, but nobody bothered to try before he bled out and it was too late.”

                Raven’s “friends” had eventually found Namjoon at Raven’s flat and had promised to let him continue to live there as long as he took his dead hyung’s place. And that was when Namjoon had found out the truth. Raven had actually been part of one of the biggest mafia groups in South Korea – the Jade Dragon.

                Now, back in the present, Namjoon and Taehyung sat, eating their final meal before one of the biggest affair of South Korean mafia history. The two giant gangs, the Jade Dragon and the Scarlet Lotus, would be forming an alliance to monopolize drug trafficking in all of East Asia and suffocate all the smaller gangs until they died out. And Namjoon and Taehyung of all people had been chosen to play an essential role.

                The two mafia families had agreed to make a transaction using the youngest members of each group to complete the treaty. That was all that they were told. They both knew the truth – the main reason why they were selected was because they were the most dispensable of the entire mafia family. They were just two errand boys who had never even met a high ranking member. No one would miss them when they were gone.

                Taehyung took a big bite of his pancake. “Hyung, we’ll be okay, right?” he asked hesitantly.

                The other resumed eating, his expression unreadable. “We’ll be fine.”

                “But what if –”

                His question was interrupted by a loud knocking. “Open up!” someone cried from outside.

                “They’re here already?” Namjoon scoffed, getting up even though his food was only half eaten.

                Suddenly, uneasiness started creeping in. Taehyung bit down on his lip, his nerves overcoming him.

                “Hyung…”

                Namjoon turned back and extended a hand out to him. He smiled warmly at him, his eyes disappearing into thin lines.

                “Don’t worry. I’ll protect you.”

                V smiled back, his anxiety erased by his hyung’s promise. He took Namjoon’s hand, knowing he was safe with him by his side.

***

                As soon as they arrived, they knew something was off. The two thugs who had obnoxiously intruded on their breakfast had escorted them through deep woods until they had arrived at a brilliant mansion beyond Taehyung’s imagination. The house was grander than anything Taehyung had seen in his lifetime – there was even a garden that was as spacious as the local park he went to jog at every morning. A nicely attired staff awaited them and, as soon as the two boys walked in, they got to business. Two women started to style his hair, first cutting and evening out both sides then using countless hair products to achieve perfection. Another person joined the team, applying makeup, something Taehyung had never done before.

                “You’re quite a handsome one, aren’t you?” she told him. “How do you like it?”

                The lady passed him a hand mirror and waited for his critique. Taehyung stared at his reflection in surprise – he looked nothing like he did this morning. They had even removed his healing bruises with concealer and had added definition to his features. Overall, he looked regal, like a prince who could say anything and it would be taken as a command, not a request.

He felt powerful. The most powerful he had ever felt in his life.

                Once the group was satisfied, they left, only to be replaced by another set of women who proceeded to dress him in extremely expensive clothes. They donned him with a spotless black suit that was incomparable to the ones Taehyung had viewed from afar at luxury boutiques. The fabric was heavy, but also as smooth as silk. After adjusting a navy blue tie around his neck and draping his body with designer accessories, they informed him that he was finally all set.

                “V, you look good.”

                Taehyung turned to the voice and was hit with a jolt of astonishment. Namjoon, transformed as he was, could have easily passed for a celebrity, his long limbs well-fitted in an identical black suit. He reminded Taehyung of a handsome CEO he had seen portrayed in dramas. “Woah, hyung. You clean up really well.”

                “Thanks,” Namjoon replied, but there was apprehension in his voice. His hyung glanced around the room nervously. “Hey, I don’t have a good feeling about this,” he told him in a low voice. “Whatever happens, just listen to what I tell you to do.”

                Taehyung swallowed fretfully.

                “Promise me,” Namjoon pushed. “Even if I tell you to run. Even if I tell you to leave me behind.”

                “Hyung –” Taehyung started to protest.

                “Take this,” the older boy was whispering now. He gently placed a thin razor blade in Taehyung’s hand. “I stole it from the bag of one of the hairdressers. Be careful you don’t hurt yourself with it, but don’t forget that you have it. If you need to use it, don’t be afraid to cut down anyone in order to survive.”

                “But, hyung –”

                “I should have never let you get mixed up in this,” Namjoon sighed, filled with regret. “But we’ll get through this somehow. I promise,” he swore and put his hands in his pockets, motioning V to do the same to hide the weapon. Reluctantly, Taehyung obeyed, having no other choice than to put his full trust in his hyung.

                A few moments later, the two thugs who had picked them up in the morning entered the room and signaled them to come out. Namjoon gave Taehyung’s shoulder a tight squeeze before following the men out. With sweaty palms, V trailed behind him.

                They were led outside into the garden where many men dressed in suits were expecting them. V felt extremely uncomfortable under the hot gaze of at least twenty big men who formed a circle around them. Everyone was wearing black as if they were one immense shadow.

                “Welcome, boys!”

                Taehyung was surprised to find a small man, his face adorned with many wrinkles, greeting them with a wide grin and open arms. He had never seen such a harmless looking person who radiated such authority. There was definitely an aura of supremacy about him and every single nerve in Taehyung’s body warned him not to anger this man.

                Namjoon and Taehyung stepped closer to the man when he motioned for them to draw near. Taehyung quickly glanced at the two boys on either side of the man – on his right was a tall boy with sharp features and the same intimidating sensation as the older man. But what caught Taehyung’s eye the most was the boy on the left. He was small of structure with puffy cheeks and distinctive monolids. He was young, possibly Taehyung’s age, and he was clearly different from the others. There was uncertainty and innocence rather than dominance and darkness. In an instant, Taehyung knew that this boy was too pure to belong in this place.

                “Handsome, aren’t they?” the old man stated gleefully. He carefully examined V’s face. “Very pretty, this one.”

                “You’re using us as decoys,” Namjoon suddenly spoke up, rage evident on his face.

                “What do you mean, child?” the old man feigned ignorance.

                Namjoon clenched his teeth and V knew something was amiss. “Your people dressed us as if we are of high rank, as if we are part of your immediate family. And you have two sons beside you. You are using us to replace them in case something goes wrong during the alliance.”

                The old man burst into laughter, clapping his hands together. “I like you, child! Very intelligent of you to piece everything together so quickly.”

                “We were told that our task would be simple and safe,” Namjoon stated glaringly.

                “It is,” the other man shot back nonchalantly.

                “There is obviously danger involved if you wanted to replace your real sons with fakes!” his hyung accused heatedly.

                A man dressed in black stepped out of the circle with his hand ready to strike. “Don’t talk like that to the boss, stupid punk!”

                “It’s okay, no need to raise voices,” the head of the Jade Dragon mafia calmed with both hands up in a signal for peace. “I like your spirit and intuition, boy. You’re sharp and know how to speak your mind and I appreciate that. My son can learn a thing or two from you.” The smaller boy to his left turned a shade of red from humiliation and bowed his head low so that his eyes were fixated on the ground. “You’re absolutely right. I do not plan to break the treaty with the Scarlet Lotus, but I have a gut feeling that the other side has ulterior motives. The Scarlet Lotus has a long history of back stabbing so I have my suspicions. You see, the head of the Scarlet Lotus has two sons like I. We agreed to trade our sons during the entire duration of our meeting today. Mostly for security reasons.”

                “Like hostages,” Namjoon hissed.

                The elderly man chuckled. “More like guests. Just so the other side doesn’t try something fishy. You will be acting as my first born son, Park Joomin.” The man turned his gaze to Taehyung. “And you will be my younger son, Park Jimin.”

                Taehyung automatically met eyes with the young boy, the child who was so precious that Taehyung would act as his body double at the risk of his life. The boy named Jimin stared back and instantly lowered his head again, his face glowing pink.

                “Won’t they know that we are not your sons?” Namjoon interrogated.

                The mafia boss grinned. “You see, we have an edge over them. They do not know my boys’ faces, but we know theirs. The last time the head of the Scarlet Lotus has seen my sons was during Jimin’s first birthday festival. But my men have been following his sons for many years – we will know instantly if they try to use substitutes.”

                “What makes you think that they have not been spying on your sons as well?”

                “I have made sure my sons have never left my estate since they were infants,” the man explained simply. Taehyung resisted the urge to gasp. He imagined the horror of never leaving the dark mansion, the constriction of being forever trapped in their grand walls. “The Scarlet Lotus will be suspicious, but they will not be able to harm you.”

                “Because we are more useful to them alive than dead?” Namjoon snarled.

                “Precisely,” the man agreed. “But that will ensure your safety.”

                “You don’t think they will torture us if something goes wrong?” Namjoon retorted. “And you won’t bother risking your men to save us.”

                “Who do you think I am, boy?” the man answered, bemused. “Do you think I will tarnish my family name by letting two boys under my wings be beaten to death? You insult me.”

                “We mean nothing to you.”

                The mafia boss shook his head. “I have led you to my home that only a select few have access to. Most of all, I have shown you my sons’ faces – my family’s greatest secret. You two are like memory chips that hold vital information that I cannot afford to lose to the enemy. I vow that you and your friend will be under my protection.”

                “I don’t trust you,” Namjoon declared and there was silence. Taehyung could hear his own heart beating through the stillness. From the tension in the atmosphere, Taehyung was afraid his hyung would be reprimanded for challenging the head of the clan.

                However, there was a wicked grin on the old man’s wrinkled face. “I really like you, boy. You are correct not to trust me. If we both survive today, I would like to get to know you a little more and see what’s in that intelligent head of yours.” Taehyung held his breath, afraid to make a sound as the mafia boss watched Namjoon with an alarming intensity and Namjoon stood his ground, glowering back. “But tell me one thing. Think with that smart head of yours and look around. Do you think even if you tried to back out now, you will be able to escape this place with all of your limbs still attached to your body?”

                Shaking with rage, Namjoon gritted his teeth with his hands balled into fists. Taehyung glanced nervously around him where all the big men dressed in black were gawking down at them and swallowed hard.

                The mafia boss casually looked down at his watch. “Well, look at the time! It’s almost time for the show to get started.” He turned away from them and started walking away.

                “Sir!”

                At the urgent cry, the old man spun back to face them.

                Taehyung’s heart dropped as he watched his hyung fall to his knees beside him. With his face so low that his lips almost kissed the ground, Namjoon bowed deeply with his tall frame trembling.

                “Sir, please… Just promise me that my friend here will be protected. He’s only here because he got mixed up with the likes of me. He’s too young to die…” Namjoon begged, his voice shaking. Taehyung’s vision blurred as hot tears sprung to his eyes.

                Ever since his mother had passed away, Taehyung had felt abandoned and alone. Even his own father treated him like a dog he had picked up from the side of the street. But this person next to him, this person who had brought him in without asking any questions and had treated him like his own flesh and blood… This boy who was hardly older than him was now begging for his life over his own.

                “Get up and dust your clothes,” the mafia boss snapped. “A man does not beg.”

                And he left them, making the two feel as if they were the only ones remaining in the world. Taehyung couldn’t stop himself from embracing the one person who gave him worth and made him feel as if there was meaning to his life. The two wept dejectedly, not caring about those who were surrounding them, and they wept not because they were afraid of death, but because they had just found each other just to lose it all so soon.

***

                The alliance meeting was held at midday underneath a rundown bridge. Taehyung and Namjoon had not said a word to each other since they had left the mansion. Even if there were many things to say, the words would not have been able to come out, especially in what could be their last hours together. Taehyung stared blankly around him – the entire place was completely deserted, a perfect location for criminals to gather without having to worry about being spotted, even in broad daylight. There was nothing except dirty water splashing against the rocks and amateur graffiti decorating the supporting pillars.

                Would this place be where he breathes his last?

                Suicide had crossed Taehyung’s mind many times before. Every time his father would beat him, every time people around him would whisper speculations about why he was such a failure… He had wanted to take his own life. Even the day Namjoon had found him, he had been contemplating, wondering if there was any point to keep going.

                “You have to survive.”

                Those were the words that Namjoon had said to him that day. Those were the simple words that Taehyung had needed to hear to struggle on.

                He had sworn to himself that day that he would be a survivor.

                Reaching into his pocket, he felt the sharp blade resting inside, ready to be used.

                “Hyung, we’re going to be okay,” Taehyung whispered. It was something that Namjoon had told him frequently. It was like a spell – every time it was spoken, Taehyung knew everything would be alright.

                Namjoon gave him a small smile and nodded. Just then, the air as filled with the loud screeching of car tires against dirt. A group of sleek luxury cars entered their line of sight and surrounded them, walling them in. The first one out was one of the drivers who hastened to open the back doors for the grand entrance of the Scarlet Lotus.

                There was no mistaking the head of the grand mafia group. Unlike the Jade Dragon’s boss who was intimidating despite his small structure, the man who exited the vehicle was handsome and tall with jet black hair falling down his back like silk. On his beautiful face ran an ugly scar under his left eye, but the man wore it with pride like a trophy.

                Two boys followed out after him – no doubt his two sons – and they were also indeed beautiful. The taller one who also seemed older than the other had a very pretty face, with two large eyes, a tall nose, and a full set of lips. The younger boy, for some strange reason, was more frightening to Taehyung. He, too, had charming looks, but there was an uneasy air about him and Taehyung couldn’t tear his eyes away from him. The boy caught his gaze and stared back, giving him a startling smirk.

                “Welcome, my brothers!” the head of the Jade Dragon called as the other group approached them.

                The other mafia boss gave him a dazzling smile. “Donghae, it’s been a very long time! Wonderful to see you.”

                “Same to you, Eunho,” Park Donghae answered pleasantly. “Wow, are those your sons?”

                “Yes,” Eunho said and raised an arm to introduce the two boys beside him. “My oldest, Jin. And the youngest, Jungkook.” The two boys bowed in sync.

                “Wow, they are almost grown men! Both mighty fine like their father,” the old man complimented. “Meet my sons, Joomin and Jimin.”

                Namjoon and Taehyung awkwardly bowed to the Scarlet Lotus. Eunho clapped his hands together in praise. “Such beautiful children! You have been blessed, Donghae.”

                “I give credit to my late wife, Eunji. May she rest in peace.”

                Eunho nodded in condolences. “May she rest in peace.”

                “She was a lovely woman. The only love of my life,” Donghae continued. “When I wrapped my fingers around her murderer’s neck and I saw the light escaping from his eyes… That indeed was one of the most satisfying moments of my life.”

                The air suddenly grew cold. Chills ran down Taehyung’s body.

                The head of the Scarlet Lotus smiled, but it was no longer friendly. “My brother was a mad man. I was happy to see him die in your hands.” There was no emotion underlining his words. “His crimes nearly cost me my eye.”

                “I see that your wound has healed nicely. A beautiful addition to your pretty face,” Donghae commented.

                “Thank you very much. It was your work after all.”

                The tension between the two bosses was terrifying with neither side backing down. There was too much history between the two houses, history too bloody and violent for Taehyung to comprehend.

                “Enough small talk.” It was the Jade Dragon who halted the dark banter. “Let us talk about the alliance.”

                “I always valued your straightforwardness,” the other man chuckled. “Come, Joomin and Jimin. Let me take a closer look at you.”

                At their father’s cue, the two boys started their way towards the other side. Taehyung took a deep breath before walking alongside Namjoon to the Scarlet Lotus.

                As he took each step, Taehyung realized how far away the two groups had actually been from each other. It seemed to take an eternity for them to reach midway where they met the other two boys.

                They were even more beautiful up close. The older one looked like an angel – he had pale and soft features coupled with very broad shoulders. Taehyung could tell the younger one was different from his brother. He gazed back at him with murderous intent, sending shivers down Taehyung’s spine.

                “Wait a minute.”

                It was the elegant mafia boss of the Scarlet Lotus who had spoken. All four boys stopped in their tracks.

                “Seeing them up close, these boys don’t look like you at all.”

                A trap…? Taehyung’s intuition screamed, but it was too late. The older boy from the Scarlet Lotus – the one by the name of Jin – grabbed his head and pushed him hard to the ground, pinning him and restraining his movements. Taehyung felt a rock painfully cut his cheek as he gasped for breath.

                “What is the meaning of this?” Donghae snarled angrily. “A betrayal this early… This is dirty, even for you.”

                “I think you are the one who’s dirty,” Eunho shot back. “Using these poor boys to replace your sons. At least I had the courtesy to not get innocent lives involved.” The tall man clicked his tongue disapprovingly. “Did you really think that I would fall for your pathetic trick?”

                “Using your own sons as a weapon. I have certainly underestimated you,” Donghae told him in awe. “But tell me one thing, how were you so certain that they were not my real sons?”

                “I think you already know.”

                “Ah,” the old man crinkled his already wrinkled face. “I was afraid of that.” He turned to one of his men who stood close to him. “Kill him,” he simply decreed.

                The man nodded at his order and, in an unbelievable instant, sliced open the throat of his nearby comrade. Taehyung blinked a few times, trying to process what had just flashed in front of him.

                “I wasn’t sure if he was a spy, but I had my suspicions. Thank you for confirming,” Donghae said casually as he stepped out of the pool of blood that was quickly spreading across the earth.

                Eunho didn’t seem shaken. Instead, his eyes and grin grew wider, excited by the sudden sight of red. “Now this seems like a party,” he proclaimed in anticipation. Taehyung wondered if all of these people were mental. How had he gotten himself in the middle of all these mad men? “You killed one of mine, so I need to kill one of yours,” the man announced, crazed with thrill. “How about one of the boys? You don’t mind, do you?” Taehyung groaned, coming to his senses at the dreadful turn of the conversation. He fought back the hand holding him down to face his hyung. The younger boy – the one by the name of Jungkook – held Namjoon by the hair, exposing his long neck. He held a dagger very close to his Adam’s apple, ready to slay on command. “How about the older one first?”

                Taehyung turned to the mafia boss of Jade Dragon in pure desperation. This man who had vowed to protect them only hours before was their only hope.

                “Go ahead.”

At those words, Taehyung screamed in raw panic and drew the blade from his pocket. He sliced the arm of the man holding him down, catching him off guard, and threw his weight on him to tip his balance. The next moment, Taehyung found himself on top of the boy with his blade drawn to his bare throat.

“Stop! Or I’ll kill him,” Taehyung threatened, his hands shaking from the adrenaline rush. He glared at the other boy who still held a knife to his hyung’s throat. The dagger sank deeper into his skin so that blood oozed out slowly.

“I’ll kill him! I swear it!” Taehyung screamed at the top of his lungs when the boy named Jungkook did not back down. Everything felt so insane with everyone watching him, but Taehyung did not have time to compose himself with his hyung in danger.

Finally, Jungkook raised his arms in defeat. Taehyung let out a sigh of relief, his arms sagging limply from exhaustion. But in a fraction of a second, a wicked smile possessed Jungkook’s lips and he pierced the dagger deep into Namjoon’s back.

Taehyung howled out in anger and pain. His cry was soon accompanied by an orchestra of gun shots.

By the time Taehyung had reached his hyung, he could hardly see from the tears streaming down his face. There was chaos all around him as many more joined with weapons drawn. He had no idea what was going on, but he didn’t care at all. He collected Namjoon’s bloody body in his arms, every bit of his soul breaking into tiny fragments.

“I’ll kill him… I’ll kill the bastard…” Taehyung murmured. He had no idea where the boy who had stabbed his hyung had run off to. He had to find him, he had to kill him with his own hands –

“V…”

                “Hyung!” V came to his senses at Namjoon’s voice. The older boy struggled to open his eyes. “You’re going to be okay. You’re not going to die—”

                “V, you have to run.”

                Taehyung was taken back. “I’m not leaving you!” he protested in frustration.

                “They’ll kill you, too. You have to run.”

                “I won’t!”

                “Listen to me, V,” Namjoon pled with the last ounce of his strength. “You have to survive.”

                As tears continued to flood his eyes, Taehyung was torn. There was no way he could abandon the only person who mattered in his life.

                “Run, V… Live on for me…”

At his hyung’s final wish, Taehyung reluctantly made up his mind, a decision he would regret for the rest of his life.

                “I’ll never forget you, hyung…” Taehyung swore between his sobs. He felt as if his heart had shattered into countless glass shards that could never be put back together again.

                But Namjoon was right. He had to survive.

                Taehyung gently placed Namjoon on the ground. Namjoon just smiled at him, peace overtaking him as he slowly loosened his hold on life. Mustering up whatever determination he had left, Taehyung tore himself away from his hyung and began to sprint towards a small opening in the commotion. No one paid him much attention, caught up in their own turmoil, and let him pass. In a moment of hesitation, Taehyung turned around to see him, his closest friend and dearest hyung. It was a mistake – he saw the bright crimson spread around his unmoving body, like an explosion of rose petals. He wanted to go back, he wanted to save him or even die with him. But his feet kept running and his arms continued to pump for speed.

                With the taste of dirt and tears lingering on his tongue, he did not stop running although there was nowhere on earth he longer desired to be.

 


[A/N]: I honestly have no idea where I'm going with this... And I've been sleep deprived for so long, I'm pretty much delusional right now... So please forgive the mistakes and comment so that I can get honest feedback. Yayy, thank you~