- resurface -

Don't Hold Your Breath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongin threw himself off the cliff a total of three times that day. And every time, he washed up on the shore near his house a few hours later, sore and disheartened.

Jongin sighed from where he lay sprawled out sand by the front of his house. The urge to try again was so strong, but he held fast. It wasn't going to work, and he knew he was being selfish.

 

He wasn't jumping to die anymore. That thought had long since left his mind. Sure, he hadn't cared how he'd ended up after he out but, in reality,

Jongin knew that he was jumping for the hallucination. He was falling for Kyungsoo. Literally.

 

He snorted at the irony, weakly dragging himself to his feet so he could stumble back up the sandy path. He had to be smart about this, if he was going to succeeded. The sun had long since painted the horizon and it was starting to get dark, but Jongin traipsed on. He was running out of time. He had to get this right soon, before someone worked out what he was trying to do. 

 

Sandals dragging through dirt and sand, shells and leaves. Jongin didn't know for how long he followed the coastline, eventually arriving at cliffs so steep, he had to climb his way up the edges. Soon he came to the top of a huge pointy structure, a wide rocky surface flattening out before him. It was a lot higher than his previous cliff, so much so that it seemed like a kids warm up in comparison.

 

The wind was deadly, whistling past his ears and lashing into his cheeks, Jongin could barely stand against it as he stared at the ocean spread before him. There wasn't a beach in sight, only monstrous waves and sharp rocks. 

 

His arms felt like lead, but Jongin held them out anyways, slowly tiptoeing across the uneven stones towards the edge of the cliff. He in a sharp breath.

 

"I'm not afraid!" He screamed, eyes tearing up as the wind lashed on. "I'm not afraid, Kyungsoo." He took a few steps back, attempting to make way for a run up. This was it. If this didn't kill him, nothing would.

 

Jongin shook in terror, his scream a pure lie. Even just thinking about leaping into the wrath of Poseidon below terrified him to his very core. But Kyungsoo flashed through his mind once more and it all scattered away. He took two leaping steps forward and flung himself down towards the water.

 

The fall was longer than usual, but soon Jongin hit the water with a sharp slap, his hips bashing across the side of a rock as he tumbled into blackness, he hadn't even gained bearing of his limbs when seconds later a wave threw him head first against the same rock structure , blood beginning to leak out his nose.

 

Jongin spun in the water a few seconds longer before he couldn't stay awake any longer, the banging in his head ringing too loudly. His eyelids fell closed, empty and blank.  There was no Kyungsoo. 

 

 

 

 

 

--

 

 

 

 

"What the Kyungsoo, your not supposed to rescue drowning people. Come on, he'll wake up any second we gotta go."

 

"I don't care, someone's gotta beat some goddamned sense into his thick skull."

 

"Yeah but not you! He's a human you can't talk to him! You can't even let him see you!"

 

Jongin stirred, the yelling seemed like a far away nightmare, garbled and distant. His head throbbed, but not as bad as his lungs, within seconds he was once again heaving salt water, the strange conversation forgotten.

 

"Kyungsoo he's awake we have to go!"

 

"Go then, Sehun. But I'm staying and talking to him."

There was a loud splash, it sounded like someone had been shoved into the water.

"Fine but I'm telling Suho!"

 

Jongin groaned, attempting to rub away the sting in his eyes. "Who's there..". He grunted, finally gaining enough vision to squint around. He was draped over a rock again, a little way out from..

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter