- prologue -

Don't Hold Your Breath
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongin woke as he did every morning, to the squawking of sea gulls and the warm sun kissing his cheeks through speckled sea glass windows. It was warm enough that his duvet had long since been stored away in his closet and instead he lay alone on the cool cotton sheets, sweat beading along his hair line.

With a groan he sat up, ruffling his already messy, chocolate hair. "I'm going! I'm going!" With a grunt he grabbed for the half empty bag of bread on his bedside table, pulling out a piece which he then tore into little pieces. Opening his window was a struggle, between the rusty hinges and a hand full of bread, the 7 year old had to use all his strength, but the window eventually swung open with a satisfying bang.

"Here you are gullies!" He called out gleefully, throwing his bread outside the window and onto the roof of the beach house. He spent a few minutes watching the birds fight over the food before pulling his window shut again and climbing out of bed.

Pajama pants were switched for board shorts, and carpet was switched for old wooden stairs as Jongin ran down to the kitchen, calling out to his mother happily as he went. "Mum! I'm going to swim with Kyungsoo!" He swiped a mango from the fruit bowl on the way past, and quickly darted out onto the sand.

Jongin loved his house, it was a bit old, and a bit small. But it was directly on their own little beach, stepping out the back door put him straight onto the sand, less then 100 metres away was the ocean itself. But what he loved most, was that in the little beach house tucked right up against his, lived another little boy, Jongin's best friend Kyungsoo. They did everything together; ate, swam, played, studied. They were closer to brothers then friends, and together they belonged to the ocean. It was as if salt water ran in their very veins.

"Soo, soo!" Jongin called as his feet hit sand, the boy ducking under some low hanging tree branches as he ran to the house next door. He grinned when he saw his friend sitting on his veranda, smothering himself in a ridiculous amount of sunscreen. "Good Morning Jongin." The other murmured as the Jongin approached, tongue sticking out as he tried to rub sunscreen into his cheeks. "Soooo~ hurry up!" Jongin whined, laying down across the wooden paneling. "I wanna swim!"

Kyungsoo huffed, turning his chin away in defiance. "Help me, then. You know I get all

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter