Her Smile, His Brand New Wish

Edge of The Unknown

So I came to the promised place at 5 pm, right at the promised time. With a simple tidy appearance, it's actually my working attire, well of course I was still handsome, plus a good scent from my favorite perfume gave me a lot of confidence. I wasn’t nervous at all.


I ordered a cup of coffee while waiting for that woman named SYJ. Honestly I had a little curiousity about her. It's still a new thing for me, to get to know women from the mathmaking site and the previous 3 women gave me only bad impressions.
I wondered why was I so determined to do this kind of thing. Ah I’ve thought too much about this that I kind of difficult to put it into the right words. Just let it be. It's gonna be the last time anyway.

Another 10 minutes passed and this woman still has not appeared. Just another not a very good impression. Did she decide to not meet me at the last second? But Yunho said she has confirmed this afternoon that she will come and that he already booked the table for us. Yeah right on this table.
Waiting's seriously ! Damn. At this kind of state the thought crossed my mind that she would not come for sure. Damn again. I've felt rejected before meeting her .. and again on this day .. this day of 365 days in a year..

 



"T.K ssi ???" a soft voice suddenly heard from my back. I turned around and blinked several times. There was a woman with rounded glasses and long brunette hair , wearing  a light brown long coat covering her tiny body. She was cold, I can clearly see it. 

It's her??? Yeah, surely...

I stood up and bowed slightly to show my respect. "Yes I'm T.K. ah I mean Taeyeon Kim. That's my real name. "I replied and smiled at her.

She bowed back and smiled slightly, "My name is Sooyeon Jung." Ah, that’s what  SYJ stand for. Anyway her voice was so sweet. And so was she.

I then invited her to sit down and ordered her drink. She chose black tea.


We started the conversation with a little stiff, it's because she did not seem interested at all in me? Or it was just my feelings. Omg it’s more than awkward!!


"So you were born in America and actually your real name is Jessica."
"Yeah. Sooyeon is just my name when I arrived here in korea. "
"Then can I call you Sica instead?"
"Of course" she replied shortly. So cold.

After a little while talking to her, I can tell that she wouldn’t want to see me again after this. It's okay. I’ll just enjoy this meeting for now. To kill the time since it started to rain anyway.

I sipped my coffee and suddenly asked her. "So Sica-ssi, why did you sign up on that matchmaking site?"

I saw her holding her cup with both hands. She was really cold huh? It’s kinda cold indeed at this early March. "Not me, it was my friend who registered me there. I wasn't interested but my friends kept forcing me and I nodded followed their will. "
"I also did this because of my friend.." I chuckled. "Even he's the one who arranged our meeting schedule today." I laughed again as we had a few things in common.
 

I saw a little smile on her face and noticed her slightly reddish nose. "I have two best friends. They are too worry about me who until now never have a boyfriend," she said casually as she tightened her palms around her cup.


I was a little surprised. Impossible! There's no way she has never dated someone before. I meant nowadays, by her looks at least, she can get a man to date. 

“it’s my cold attitude that makes everyone leave me.” oh. So she knew exactly about herself. Smart one. “I’d like to change it but so difficult for me to do that to someone I barely know. That's why I'm misunderstood almost all the time." she added.

Hmm.. “I see. You will be a nice person once you completely know someone? Just like how you treat your friends now.” 

She nodded. “I almost had no friends back then.. I stayed away from everyone but those two, they’re really nice to me eventho I treated them badly.. I was , Taeyeon-ssi. And now I still am.” that honest smile on her face, I was sure in her empty stare she recalled the memory she had when she first befriended with her best friends. And somehow I felt so happy knowing our conversation went well at this point about friends. She seemed so interested to talk about her friends than about herself or me or about the matchmaking thingy.
"Doesn’t it feel great to have friends who care so much about you? And although you don’t like it you keep obeying what your friends told you to do and is here right now, in front of me. Sica-ssi, you are also a good friend for them.” I smiled at her who was looking at me seriously with her eyes a little widen behind her glasses for seconds.
She sipped her tea and looked at me again now with soften eyes. "You are right. I'm lucky to have friends like them. I'm so lucky." She smiled back at me. So sweet and so charming. I felt like my heart warmer to see that honest and sincere smile. And above all of that, I could see how she treasured her friends.


And one thing for sure, this woman. I wanted to know her more. I wanted to be closer to her.


So I immediately spoke to her. "Sica-ssi. Can we .. can we meet again after today?" Right now I felt a little nervous. For the first time. I felt my face slightly heating up. Hope it didn’t flush too much. And hope she wanted to see me again next time ...
She looked at me for a moment and with an expression I could not read she nodded, "of course."
Yes !! "Then can we stop using the chat messenger from that website again? I mean ehh your number? "I said carefully, trying to hide my excitement. Yunho must be laughing so hard to see my stupid nervous act right now if he was here...
"Okay."
I pulled out my smarthone and we exchanged our phone numbers.

"Thanks Sica-ssi." Then I kept back my smartphone. She just nodded and typed something on her smartphone before put it  down as well.

 


After we both finished our drinks, we decided to go home. I planned to drive her home but then I thought it’s a little to fast for that, right? She could feel a bit uncomfortable because it’s just our first meeting. So I just hailed  a taxi and opened the passenger’s door for her.


"I'll call you," I said before closing the door again. I saw her nodded slightly and waved at me as the taxi began to speed up. I watched it till it disappeared from my view before happily walked to the parking lot . Yunho-ya .. this time I guess I’m so lucky. Thanks a lot my friend! I grinned at myself.


🐱👓🐱👓🐱👓🐱👓


Next monday morning ..
Jessica was already in her office and doing her usual work while yawning occasionally.
Her phone vibrated, a sign of an incoming message but she ignored it.
The phone kept vibrating and vibrating. And she completely ignored it.


At lunch break 2 women with curious face came to her.
"Miss Jessica you’re really....ughhh" The tall woman grumbled.
"Yes, right. You did not pick up our phone and did not reply to our message at all, since Friday night.. " Miyoung looked disappointed as she folded her arms.
Jessica giggled and took her phone. "Okay I'll reply all the messages now. Ah there are 418 unread messages in my kkt.. " she joked. 
Her two friends looked more annoyed this time. Then Miyoung slammed her hand to the table. "Because we’re already here, why don't you just say it directly to us, babo." Soo nodded in agree.

Jessica put her pen down and fixed her glasses.
"You want to know about the man I met last Friday, right?" They nodded again.
"How's he?" Miyoung curiously asked.
"Well he's average." Jessica said. It's about his height but her friends meant it for the overall things about him. And Jessica did not bother to tell them since her friends did not ask for more. She actually thought he was at least a good man which was the reason why she gave him her number, easily that Friday evening.


"Wow .. that means he is pretty good huh. I remember you judged that guy named S so low." Miyoung chuckled.
"So you guys will meet again, right?" Asked Soo.
"yes. He called me last night and asked me to meet again next Friday." Jessica replied casually.
Both her friends glared at her.
"You are really.."
Jessica put up her palm up to interupt her friend. "He called me when I wasn’t sleeping," she reasoned. The tone was very calm and honest tho.
And it seemed her friend already understood with this woman's behaviour, they gave in and dropped the topic. They knew that Jessica will ignore everything when she’s sleeping.


"Ah never mind. There seems to be nothing to worry about. Now, let's have lunch." Sooyoung said and grabbed Miyoung’s hand.
Jessica was actually checking her kkt. She read all the messages quickly and smiled to herself. And among her friends' messages there was also a message from Taeyeon..