Chapter 1

A Star In Daylight

"There's a cow running around the school!" a student bursts through the classroom door hollering. Everyone in the class instantly turned their heads his way.

"What are you talking about?" another kid asks. "I mean there's a real live cow running around the halls, it's dragging something behind it and the floors are covered in milk. The principal and teachers are trying to catch it" the slender student informed everyone and then turned to run back out of the room.

Murmurs from the other students erupted as they all looked at one another wondering if this was a joke. The teacher near the front of the class tried to calm everyone down as voices rose in wonder; suddenly one person gets up and as if triggering a chain reaction a barrage of many other chairs scraping linoleum fill the classroom along with the increasingly curious chatter of students.

 

 

Baekhyun watched in amusement as the crowd in the hallway grew, students expressing surprise as their feet are soaked in milk. His motive for causing such a havoc was due to some classmate stating that his complexion was as white as milk, Baekhyun didn't take too kindly to the insult so he went out of his way and stole the cow from weird Mr. Jang's yard and while everyone was in class, spilled gallons of milk all over the halls; enough to splash in. Then Baekhyun took a long rope from the gym and tied it around the animal who he calmed down by feeding it some grass, he took the other end of the rope and tied it to the kids feet who rested out in the courtyard on his study time. The hardest part was being discreet and hiding the cow but he managed, the smaller gave the cow a good hard slap on the and it was off dragging the shocked and scared student with it. Baekhyun could only laugh as he watched the kid getting dragged away screaming.

Baekhyun looked on as the teachers circled around and trapped the animal, he saw his music teacher take out her phone; probably calling some sort of animal control as his gym teacher slowly approached the cow to where the kid was still screaming and tied up. Baekhyun got up from where he hid ready to flee the scene when he felt a hand clamp down on his shoulder, "Mr. Byun, office. Now!" principal Kim orders and the short male curses as he's lead away.

 

Baekhyun has been to the office more times than he could count. He knew every detail of the polished marble walls that harbored framed pictures of paintings the principal likes and has talked about so many times Baekhyun could recite everything about them word for word. He knew that in the little Stainless Steel fridge on the opposite wall held the principal's secret stash of beer and alcohol that he doesn't want anyone to know about but Baekhyun knew. The principal's desk was in the middle of the room; a big, polished cherry wood object with a bunch of papers and a lone computer on top.

Baekhyun watched as principal Kim talked on the phone, most likely with his father. He made himself comfortable in one of the two chairs that faced the older man's desk, the air in the room was cool and crisp. Principal Kim hung up before heaving a big sigh, "Mr. Byun" he starts, leaning his elbows on the desk and connecting his fingers into a tent like position similar to a villain.

"You've been causing more of a ruckus than usual lately" he continued, "and it's starting to put a toll on the school" principal Kim states but Baekhyun just shrugged his shoulders, undeterred.

"Well I guess you can say I'm trying to liven up this dull school" he said.

"This school is the best in the whole city; great academics all the way down to top notch sports clubs, if you want a more lively time you should join one of those" principal Kim leans back into his chair.

"I'm not a sports guy" Baekhyun states nonchalantly, leaning back in his own chair. "If I guessed correctly you were just talking to my dad and he's probably already writing a cheque for the damages, so I'll be going".

Having flaunted his dad's position and challenged his own relevance Baekhyun got up to leave and continue about his day. It usually ended like this, he never gets punished because no one wanted to upset the son of a lawyer who can sue anyone out of their money.

"Sit down, Mr. Byun" principal Kim says behind him.

Baekhyun turned around, confused, He didn't need to hear the lecture of why what he did was wrong and all the technicalities of what it'll take to repair what needs to be repaired but he obeys nonetheless and returns to the chair he previously occupied, ready to tune out the principal's rant.

"We aren't done yet. Yes I was speaking to your father and yes he's paying for the damages but he's also told me to inform you that this was the last straw; that he's given you too much freedom as it is and it's enough. He's shipping you off to go live with your mother " principal Kim finished with a small smirk on his lips.

Baekhyun was at a lost for words like he had just been dumped over the head with ice cold water. He stared at principal Kim but wasn't actually seeing him, Baekhyun was too preoccupied with his thoughts and the panic that had started to rise in his chest.

 

 

 

 

"Dad, you can't do this to me" Baekhyun huffs, following his father around the house. He'd just gotten home after the incident as the principal deemed it unnecessary for him to stay the rest of the day, Baekhyun didn't mind because he never liked school but what he did mind was the situation he was now in.

"Baekhyun, please" his father tried to ward him off as he picked up a bunch of papers from the coffee table in their too huge living room.

"It wasn't even that serious of a prank" the shorter offers up as an argument knowing it was pathetic. Baekhyun's dad turned around and gave him a scowl; it was one of those scowls he the judge when things didn't line up in his favor, Baekhyun cringes back at being the one it was directed to.

"Baekhyun, you let a cow drag some kid around the school with hallways drenched in milk" his father dropped the papers back down in a huff to show that he was beyond the point of tolerating his sons behaviour.

"Do you even know how much those damages cost? What about the kid? Have you thought about how maybe you've given him some sort trauma?" his dad drilled him like a witness on the confession stand.

Baekhyun slumped into the chair he was standing in front of. "Of course you haven't, you just do what you please and mostly that's my fault for letting it go on as long as it has" his father continued his lecture.

The shorter male watched as his father took a careful seat across from him giving his temple the slightest rub signaling and incoming headache. He raised his head to look his son in the eyes; Baekhyun had his father's looks, soft but masculine features and black hair that fell straight over their forehead, although he wore it naturally his father coiffed it up on a daily. The only feature that didn't resemble his old man were his eyes, a warm inviting brown; Baekhyun had his mother's eyes.

"I'm not always going to be able to bail you out of things Baekhyun, if you keep going down this road how long until you start testing the law? How long until you're in a courtroom facing a judge? I can do nothing for you then" the older tried to make his son see reason.

"This is why I'm sending you to go live with your mother for a while, so you can clear your mind and maybe invest in something that will keep you out of trouble " Mr. Byun searched his son's face but all he saw were accusing eyes and he sighed.

"What am I supposed to love in the countryside?" Baekhyun questioned, "theres nothing but farms, grass, trees and houses miles away from each other" he said distastefully.

Mr. Byun got up, grabbing the papers he let fall to the table. "I'm sure there's more than that" he reassured, "start packing tonight, you're leaving first thing tomorrow morning".

Baekhyun followed the back of his father who disappeared down the hall toward his study. When he heard the door close shut he let's out a stream of curses, how did his life turn into this? On minute he's rich, doing and buying whatever he wanted and now he's being tossed to the country full of farmers and uneducated townsmen. Baekhyun threw himself back into the couch, wallowing in his own self pity.

 

----¤-----

Baekhyun tried to blink the sleepiness out of his eyes while he settled into the back of the car. It was 4:30 in the morning, his train arrives at 5:30. He could see his father talking to Edward, their driver, before making his way to Baekhyun's window.

"Edward will drive you to the train station and help you board, once you arrive there will be someone to pick you up" his father informs him.

Baekhyun just rolled his eyes, "I already know" he sassed.

"Just don't cause trouble, and be good to your mother. I know you haven't seen her since she left but cut her some slack" his father sympathised

"It's her fault we haven't seen each other, if she'd made the effort to come and see me it would be a different story" Baekhyun states rudely.

"Baekhyun..." the older looks at him sadly.

"Mr. Byun, we should get going" Edward called while getting into the driver seat. "Ah. Yes" his tall frame backed away from the window after giving Baekhyun one last nod.

Baekhyun looked away and rolled up the window just as the car started to roll out. Suddenly and unexpected birth of nervousness overcame him and a swarm of uncertainty sets in while the house he's grown up in gets further and further away along with the dark figure that still stood in the driveway.