Two

Two Steps Back

Diarrhea of the mouth is what it was.

Sitting in first period with Nayeon next to me, for someone reason my mouth couldn’t help but silently spill silly little jokes out as the teacher explained how the rest of the year would turn out. I was grateful at the very least that she was chuckling a bit at the jokes, however, I couldn't help but feel like I was just bothering her. The thought that I seemed like a little kid popped into my head.

But I really did like the way her smile looked on her face.

"So, for your first assignment of the year, please grab a partner and then I'll put the directions on the board." I heard my teacher say suddenly which startled me because of how preoccupied I was. I hurriedly looked around for someone I knew who would pair up with me.

"Do you wanna work with me?" Nayeon had asked me.

The question took me back a little. I imagined that she would at least have 10 other people higher on her list of options. Nayeon was pretty popular in middle school, and she and I were only acquaintances. It kind of seemed fitting for her, surrounded by all those people, laughing and chattering in that small circle of liked kids. The image fit perfectly and no matter how hard I tried I was sure I'd never be part of the picture.

"Yeah, sure." I said, pushing those thoughts down.

"Alright class, here are the directions," said the teacher, pointing up at the board. "You have two days to hand this in."

I read what was on the board and quickly realized that the stuff on the board had to do with what she was talking about in class. I wasn't paying attention.

"Do you understand what we have to do?" I asked shamelessly. I was used to having to ask that question.

"No, actually. I would've if someone wasn't distracting me." Nayeon blamed, however the playful smile on her lips let me know that she wasn't really angry.

"Oh...sorry" Is what I said anyways because I still felt a little guilty. I had a bad habit of getting distracted.

"Nah, don't worry. It looks like we just need to find out the definitions that she explained during class and then we just follow what's on the board."

"Cool. What are the words?" I asked

A look of thought passed over her face. It was cute. "I...have... no clue."

It was my turn to think, "Um, maybe we should ask someone else? I think I could ask Jihyo. I mean, she might murder me with words, but I think I can manage."

"Alright."

Then I turned to where Jihyo and Sana were working close-by.

"Psst. Pssst! PSSSST! Jihyo!" I whispered loudly, this made Nayeon crack up a little.

"What?!" She whispered loudly back.

"Can you tell me the words and the definitions, please?" I whispered.

"How come you don't know them?"

"Because...stuff."

"Child, I'm gonna come over there and whoop you soon."

"Okay, but can you, like, do that after you give me the words?"

"And who says I'll give them to you in the first place?"

"The power of love, that's who."

"And who says I love you?"

"I do! Now give me those words or I'll really fail this year and it'll be all your fault."

"Alright! Fine, but I'm only giving you the words, not the definitions."

"Fine. That's all I need."

Jihyo gave it to me with much reluctance. At the end of this Nayeon was laughing with a full smile. I ended up smiling as well.

"Here we go, bud." I said.

"Okay, so just go and grab a dictionary. We gotta be quick though 'cause class is about to end."

I dashed over to where the dictionaries were and brought one back to our desks. I immediately started getting to work.

"What kind of teacher gives a project on the first day of school anyways?" Nayeon asked as we both huddled in close to the paper to work on it. The closeness made my face warm up.

"Maybe the kind that has somethin' up their ." We both chuckled at that.

Suddenly the bell rang and I had to pack up quickly.

"Hopefully, we'll finish tomorrow." Nayeon said as she placed her backpack over her shoulder.

"Yup, hopefully. Bye!"

"Bye!"

♧♧♧

Later, as the day progressed, I learned that all of my common core classes (english, math, social studies, and science) had many of my middle school classmates in them. Nayeon was in all of them. Her boyfriend was in two of them.