One

Two Steps Back

I was absent on the first day.

Not by choice, but because my mom couldn't get an earlier appointment for my physical. Although I was somewhat upset about it, my attention was someplace else.

My first (second) day of high school was before me. I had somehow managed to convince myself that it was nothing special so that only a small, dull sense of nervousness was left in my stomach. So, I walked towards my class with my schedule in hand. I was getting myself ready for the upcoming stares of strangers who I would hopefully become friends with. But then I was met with a surprise.

"What?! Why are we all in the same class!?" I had said my concern to a classroom consisting almost entirely of old middle school classmates. My question was met with mumbles of agreement. I couldn't understand because our highschool was a very large highschool and the midlle school we came from was extremely small.

"Dahyun!" Jihyo called out to me from across the room and came to me with a wide smile. I was quickly embraced and then she answered my question by saying, "Yeah, I know what you're talking about. Actually, a lot of the eighth graders from our school last year had almost all of the same classes together in their freshman year. It's 'cause we all have higher classes. Oh, by the way, where were you yesterday? I heard your name called in our classes." I then explained my situation to her.

Within that time Sana had popped in as well, happily skipping in and finding her way to me and Jihyo.

"Dahyun! Your here!" Said Sana along with excited and incoherent squeals, complete with a hug. "Oh my god, this is gonna be great! I heard your named called in a lot of my classes so we're gonna have a hella good time!" Hearing that made me excited as well. Sana's geniality had always made things more fun and comfortable.

"Dahyun," The tone of Jihyo's voice leeched the excitement suddenly from the air, "I hope you do good this year.You can't slack now that we're in highschool." I hate that she was right, but, like the mother that Jihyo is, her words rang truth.

"Yeah, I know. Trust me. I'll try harder this year." Even I didn't trust what I had just said.

"Yup. You gotta work hard this year! Slackers don't win in the end so you gotta work that tail off." Sana proclaimed knowing full well that she slacked as well, meriting funny looks from both me and Jihyo.

"Sana, don't make me start with you!" Jihyo warned, and I couldn't help but laugh at the turning of tables. Jihyo could put anyone in their place

"No, wait, please don't." Sana said.

A couple more jokes and then Jihyo showed me over to the area where they sat and I took an empty seat somewhere in between them.

"Oh yeah, you haven't really seen the school yet. Imma show you as much as I can before class starts." Jihyo said. I agreed, knowing that I needed as much help around as I could get since our highschool was very large.

Jihyo led me out of class and half way through the journey between my desk and the door was a halting moment.

Nayeon walked in.

She walked right past me and I stared in what probably seemed like idiotic awe. I don't know if I remember it right but I think she was looking at me too. Either way, I won't ever forget the moment because right after she walked past me she elegantly placed herself in the seat right next to mine. At that moment, I was nervous and thankful. Thankful that I was lucky enough to choose the seat next to hers and nervous about talking to her.

Then Jihyo pulled me back to earth, showed me up the stairs a little, and then the warning bell rang. We headed back into the classroom, and I back to my seat.