tell me, what is love

curtain
Please log in to read the full chapter

               “…Sooyoung. Park Sooyoung.”

               Joohyun’s heart dropped out of her chest and right into the pits of her stomach.

               “…M-Miss Park. Yes. Um.” Words escaped Joohyun, and she closed her eyes briefly to get her senses back. “If you’d called in ahead of time, we could have arranged for your arrival to be more…to your liking. If you’d just excuse me for one second?”

               Sooyoung nodded, lips neatly pursed and hands clasped together in front of her mink coat.

               The secretary turned away from the taller woman and faced the window of the office, swiftly pulling out her phone and tapping away at the screen to get to her boss’s phone number. After holding it up to her ear, she anticipated the dial tone. One ring, two rings, three, and –

               “Hello, Joohyun – “

               “Sir, your fiancée is here,” she bluntly interjected. Joohyun turned back to look at Sooyoung, who was now perched by the far wall, examining a cabinet filled with plaques and certificates. “I was not…aware she would be making a visit today.” Joohyun sounded just a tad bit venomous than she had planned, and she hoped this didn’t come off as jealousy. She wasn’t jealous.

               “I…I know. She texted me earlier; it’s fine. I just got to the parking garage with Sehun – “

               “Yo, Joohyun!”

               “Ah, there he is.” The assistant rolled her eyes. “Anywho, tell Sooyoung to just…I dunno, sit tight or something. Ask her if she wants anything, like coffee or water. I’ll be up there in a few minutes.”

               “Yes…yes, sir.” She sighed and pressed on the end call button. “Well, Jun – Mr. Kim will be here in a few minutes. In fact, he’s just entered the parking garage.” Joohyun mentally berated herself for letting his name slip out again. Unprofessional. “In the meantime, maybe you’d like to take a seat? Is there anything I can get you? Coffee, tea, water?”

               “Tea would be nice.” Sooyoung smiled at her and approached one of the empty recliners, slipping onto the cushion gracefully. Her fur coat swallowed her up as she sat on the chair. “Oolong would be preferred.”

               Joohyun nodded curtly. “If you’ll excuse me.” Immediately after exiting the office, she fished her phone out once again.

               “Sooyoung is sitting in your office. I’m just running down to the break room to get her some tea. Where are you now?”

               “On the elevator up now. Meet you in my office?”

               “…Yeah. Sure.” The secretary arrived in the breakroom and pushed past the door, quickly recognizing the figure bent over the coffee maker. “Oh, Seulgi, it’s you. Know if we have any oolong tea in here?”

               Seulgi turned around and smiled at her. “Oh! Um, I think we have some on the top shelf? Lemme get it for you.” She opened the cupboard and felt around the top shelf. “I thought you were more of a coffee person?”

               “I don’t like coffee. Anyway, it’s not for me. Jun – Mr. Kim’s fiancée is here actually. I’m just getting her a drink while the CEO is on the way back to the office.”

               “His fiancée?! I’ve never seen her in person…!” Seulgi’s eyes were wide as she looked at Joohyun over the rim of her coffee mug. “Is she pretty?”

               The shorter woman simply shrugged. “…She’s…she’s tall. Looks like any other woman to me.”

               Seulgi looked at her and wrinkled her nose. “Oh, alright then. Lemme help you out then so you don’t keep her waiting for too long. You know how the rich and snooty types are.”

               “Thanks, Seulgi.” Joohyun smiled to herself as she moved around the counter, getting the coffee together. For some reason, she couldn’t stop thinking about the boss and his fiancée. If they were already engaged, then they sure had to have lived together by now. Does he wake up in the morning to a breakfast of bacon and eggs? Does she wake up every morning and see his face –

               No. Come to think of it, Junmyeon’s never spoken of his fiancée in all the time she’s worked with him this time. Joohyun stared at her own reflection as she idly stirred the tea in the paper cup. Her expression was way too rigid for someone her age. Why even bother thinking of those things? He’s nothing to me. And I’m nothing to him.

               “…Alright, I’m off to see the boss and his fiancée again.”

               “Good luck!”

               Joohyun stopped in the midst of lifting the cup and looked at her. “Why are you saying that?”

               The taller woman simply shrugged and smiled at her. “I feel like you’ll need it, what with dealing with the CEO and all. Lunch later with Seungwan?”

               Joohyun couldn’t help but smile at her again. “Sure. See ya.”

               Seulgi waved at her as she stepped out of the break room with the cup of tea in her hands, and with a brisk pace, Joohyun was already back inside the elevator and headed up to the CEO’s office. The assistant sighed to herself as she clutched the paper cup. I don’t need to be thinking about these things. I don’t need to be thinking about him. Our relationship…nothing but professionalism. Money. That’s it.

               Joohyun exhaled deeply as the familiar ding of the elevator signaled that she had arrived back on the CEO’s office floor. It had now been about a good fifteen or so minutes since she had that conversation with Junmyeon while going down to the break room. Surely by now the man would be in his office –

               The CEO and his fiancée stood right in front of the office doors, his hands placed right at her hips and one of her perfectly manicured hands caressing his cheek. Even though her back was facing Joohyun, she could tell just by the blissful look on Junmyeon’s face what exactly they were doing. They were kissing. The assistant felt her bottom lip quivering, but she quickly pursed her lips and swallowed the lump that had begun to form in . The grip of her fingers around the paper cup was weakening, and the container started to slide until…

               Junmyeon’s eyes shot open and both he and Sooyoung pulled away from each other momentarily, alerted by the sudden noise in the hallway. Joohyun looked at the both of them in surprise before dropping to the floor and quickly rerouting her gaze, instead opting to pick up the now spilled drink on the floor.

               “…Sorry. I’m sorry. I’ll clean it up right away – “

               “No. No, it’s fine, Joohyun. I’ll just call a janitor up to clean it,” Junmyeon hastily replied, pulling away from his fiancée to help Joohyun back onto her feet. The assistant hoped that the red of her cheeks wasn’t visible in proximity to her boss, and she couldn’t bring herself to look him in the eye after seeing what she’d just walked in on.

               “No, it’s my fault. I shouldn’t have asked you to go get a drink for me since I wasn’t going to be staying long anyway.” The fur-clad woman sighed and walked up to the both of them, laying another one of her manicured hands on Junmyeon’s shoulder before smiling at each of them. “I’ll get going now. As you know, Junmyeon and I are very busy people, and it’s only moments like these that I’ll get to come to see my darling. It was nice meeting you, by the way. Do take care of him in my stead, Joohyun.”

               She flashed another toothy smile down at her and Joohyun summoned all her willpower to return it. “…Will do, Miss Park.”

               Sooyoung glanced at Junmyeon again and pouted as she tapped a nail on the bandage stretched across his forehead. “See you, sweetie.” She leaned in and kissed him on the cheek before walking past him and Joohyun to the elevator.

               Once the elevator doors closed on her, Junmyeon let out a sigh and carded his fingers through his hair. “I…I’m sorry you had to see that.”

               “Why be sorry,” Joohyun replied nonchalantly, brushing past him to head to the nearby trash bin. She crushed the paper cup in her fingers and tossed it in before turning back to him. “You nabbed yourself a real bouquet of roses and lilies with that one.”

               The CEO narrowed his eyes at her. “Sooyoung is an intelligent, talented, and beautiful woman, and I am lucky to have her as my fiancée. Don’t tell me you’re jealo – “

               “Nope. Nuh uh. Don’t even say it. I’m more impressed that you found someone new after throwing me to the side like a wet napkin.”

               He looked at her with incredulity, but Joohyun simply walked past him and into the elevator.

               “Don’t forget to call the janitor,” she called out, just before the doors closed on her.

               Junmyeon stood there silently, biting at the insides of his cheeks. How much longer could he go without telling her how he felt…and what really transpired all those years ago? Despite having the job of his dreams, a beautiful woman with a stone on her finger, and all the money he could have imagined in his pockets…it still felt so lonely at the top.

               His assistant didn’t bother talking to him for the rest of the day, but just from her exit that morning, Junmyeon had a strong feeling that she was upset. Luckily enough for the both of them, it was a typical work day, and most of their correspondence only occurred through emails. It was a strict respond-when-responded-to basis, but Junmyeon was relieved that she still answered his emails at the very least.

               Technically, he shouldn’t blame her for being upset, but he’s noted that Joohyun had gotten much better at hiding her feelings since the first day she started working in the company. Junmyeon’s next goal? Getting her to stop being upset with him altogether. His mind traveled back to what Sehun had told him on the way to work that morning.

               “But really, you think it wouldn’t change things to tell her before you got married?”

               The stark white of the excel document on his laptop screen stared him back in the face while he sat in his seat. His fingers drummed along the sides of his keyboard before he finally let out a breath of exasperation, closed it, and pushed himself out of his seat. He raised his wrist to his face and clicked his tongue upon seeing the time listed on his watch face.

               “Seems like it’s just about time for me to go...,” Junmyeon muttered to himself. The sun had set hours ago, and the only lights he could see from the window behind him were that of the Seoul skyline and the cars that were still driving on the main street underneath. He didn’t even know when he’d his desk lamp, opting instead to type away at his keyboard in the darkness than turn on the lights in his office. Suddenly, he paused, pressing a hand onto his phone sitting right on his desk. “…Siri, call Joohyun.”

               “Calling Joohyun.”

               The CEO inhaled sharply and closed his eyes, preparing himself for the all-too familiar voicemail message.

               Dial tone. One.

               Two.

               Three.

               “…Hello?” Junmyeon’s eyes sprang open and he almost choked on his own spit. “Hello? Mr. Kim, sir?”

               “H-Hello, Joohyun. Are you on the way home already?”

               “I’m on the train home as we speak.”

               So Joohyun already left the building without even telling him. “I…I was calling to ask you I want to pick you up tomorrow morning before work so we can get some coffee.” He blinked at the quick realization that his words may have not come off the right way. “I wanted to discuss the meeting logistics for the annual company retreat.

               “…Ah.” Junmyeon noted the hesitation on her end. “Well, I’ll be ready by seven in the morning. Best we’d go early in order to not arrive late at work. See you tomorrow, Mr. Kim.”

               “Ah, see you tomo – “ But by then, his assistant had already hung up and the dial tone was the only thing he could hear through his phone. Junmyeon found himself blowing out hot air, before recomposing himself once more. She’s still as frigid as ever, but at least she said yes…hopefully she’ll thaw out by the morning.

               Despite already having been in a traffic accident and knowing the dangers of letting one’s mind wander while behind the wheel, it was admittedly a challenge for Junmyeon to keep his head on straight. With nothing but the silence of his car to accompany him, he found himself thinking about his stoic assistant once more. Not quite where he had failed as a young lover and where their relationship stood as it was, but rather…what could have been. What things might be like if the two of them had really gone all the way.

               I wonder what our kid would look li – oh.

               Of course, Joohyun already made it quite clear, transparent that she wanted no part of him in their lives, but one could forgive Junmyeon for being…curious, as any father would have been. And he would respect her wishes only because that was one of the few consolations he could offer her now, and yet… Why waste brain power dwelling on hypotheticals, when the answer was in reach? If Junmyeon wasn’t allowed in their lives, then surely, he could be afforded a glance at his own child. Much less, get a chance to learn of her name.

               …I’ll do that. I’ll ask her tomorrow.

               “…Junmyeon? Are you even paying attention?”

               The young man blinked and looked up from his notebook. The girl sitting across the table simply raised an eyebrow at him.

               “I asked you a question, Junmyeon.”

               “Ah…what was the question again – hey! Give that back!” The girl’s hand shot out and snatched his notebook from under him, deftly spinning it so that she could get a better look.

               “…You’re doodling. You’re not even taking notes! How do you expect to pass the exam if you’re not studying with me?”

               “I was paying attention!” Junmyeon scrunched his nose at her and playfully crossed his arms, feigning displeasure.

               “Oh yeah?” She rolled her eyes and smirked at him. “Then answer the question.”

               A soft sigh slipped out from his lips as he clasped his hands together. “The question was…how did Prince Rudolf die? Umm…” Junmyeon closed his eyes and focused. “…Suicide pact. He shot his lover, Mary Vetsera, and then turned the gun on himself.”

               “Good. So you were paying attention.”

               “Yes. Why would I not be? Now can I have my notebook back, Joohyun?” The corners of his lips curved into a smile and Joohyun returned the sentiment.

               “Here,” she replied, holding out the notebook with both hands.

               Junmyeon then stood up from his chair and reached over to grab the notebook, but not before leaning in and pecking her on the lips.

               Joohyun’s eyes widened and she pulled away in embarrassment, shortly before reaching over and smacking him playfully on the shoulder. “Myeon…not in public.” Her cheeks flushed as she looked away from him but she still offered him a meek smile from behind the locks of her hair that now covered her face.

               “You wanna go get some coffee after class?”

               “…Tea. I don’t like coffee.”

               Junmyeon awoke with a jolt, and he inhaled sharply as his eyes scanned the ceiling above him. He quickly came to the realization that it was still quite dark outside, just judging from the lack of light that normally streamed in through his windows in the morning. The young CEO rolled over with a grunt and reached over to his nightstand to grab his phone. The harsh light emanating from his smartphone made him squint, and he groaned in louder upon learning that it was just about 4:37AM.

               He rolled back onto the sheets and rubbed his eyes, blinking profusely in the darkness as he wondered how he was supposed to go back to sleep now. The thought of taking some of his sleeping pills briefly passed through his mind, but Junmyeon shook himself out of it. His hand fell over his eyes and another deep sigh reverberated through his chest.

               …Hello thoughts, this is Junmyeon speaking. Long time no see.

               Joohyun wasn’t quite sure how to dress herself for an occasion such as this one. Even if her boss did specify that he only wanted to pick her up so they could talk logistics over coffee, Junmyeon could have easily asked for email correspondence, or just have a short meeting in his office. She found it even more concerning that he would ask her out like this the same day that they had the minor dispute regarding his fiancée.

               She scoffed and crossed her arms. Well, whatever his intentions were, she was still going to be looking her best if she was stepping out in public with the CEO of one of the biggest telecommunications firms in South Korea. Nobody was about to make her look or feel worse about herself standing right next to one of the worst people she’s ever had the misfortune of meeting. According to Joohyun, at least.

               It was just after she’d finished putting on her jacket that her text tone went off in the corner of the room. Her heels felt heavy on the hardwood floor, but her stride was faster than usual. Joohyun snatched the smartphone off of her coffee table and looked at the screen.

               “Good morning. I’m parked outside if you’re ready to go.”

               Just on time, she momentarily thought, before shoving her phone in her pocket and reaching over to where her purse had been sitting on her couch. With one last look (and a grunt of confidence) at herself in the mirror, Joohyun stepped out of her apartment and out into the open.

               Immediately, she took the opportunity to lean over the railing just outside her room and look down at the parking lot down below. That lustrous, black sports car of his – Porsche, she thought – was a rather familiar sight by now, and from where she stood she could even see him sitting in front of his steering wheel. She clicked her tongue in annoyance; not many people could pull off that tailored, midnight blue suit of his. Per the usual, his hair was neatly combed and gelled back, a far cry from the messed-up look he was sporting on the day he had gotten into his car accident. On closer inspection, Junmyeon seemed…distant, just from the way he was staring out his window with the blankest of expressions. And then he turned his head and their eyes met.

               Joohyun quickly turned away and pushed herself from the railing, shuffling out of view and striding down the hallway. A grimace painted her face as she moved, her heels stomping on the concrete with every step. Chin held up high and eyes focused right in front of her, the view of

Please log in to read the full chapter