Subtle affection

Thalassophile tides

Jimin slowly opened his eyes. The exhaustion lingering in his lids did weigh more than he suspected and thus his half-lidded gaze fell upon the disserted beach. His body was still half in the water while wet sand was stuck to the right side of his face and pasting to some of his lashes. He couldn’t feel anything from his neck down and softly groaned when he turned his stiff neck towards some sort of sign of anybody who could help him.

His arm was floating loosely on the low water surface while his other was folded above him. He lifted his heavy head for as much as he could and with immediate panic he flopped his head back down on the soft, but cold and humid sand. He didn’t saw his beautiful and graceful tail. He didn’t saw the silk transparent fins on the side of his thighs. Above all he didn’t saw silver scales lingering over his body and now that he noticed the feel from wind had even more emotion than the stirring close to the bottom of the ocean.

He had toes…

Ugly, small, human feet!

He could only remember small flashes from how he was a creature, but for that he lost all his memories. He was simply too tired to care. He much rather dies by the hand of humanity as a human than when he had been a sea monster.

Jimin closed his eyes and waited for his numb body to regain a simple twitch of life. He heard a distant squeaking and crumbling sound come closer. Fluttering his eyes open, revealed a… shoe?

‘’This is what they call shoes.’’

A weird looking object was seated on a hand filled with scales that glimmered from the sun shining through the thick blanket of water, right through the ocean where the beam became smaller and eventually disappeared into black, but was reflected by the many sirens with fish-like skin.

Jimin blinked at the vague memory and grinned when he saw the pair of shoes coming closer. His vision blurred once he could feel ice-cold hands against his cheek. He didn’t recognize a face.

‘’Jimin?’’

 

‘’Jimin?’’

It had been a still day. The water was calm and there wasn’t an ice-cold under stream that could hurt in many more ways than just a weird change in direction. Sunbeams broke through the surface and created beautiful broken light spectacles. Jimin’s silver eyes glistered upon seeing the many colors close to the top. His smooth tail had been swaying with the force of his silk side-fins and he stared up to notice a small shadow.

It had been a boat. Of course, he knew what boats looked like. Many sirens saw those persons as prey, seducing the humans and forcing the naïve people down with them to the depths of the ocean to eventually rip the meat from their bones and relieve their starving hunger for love and affection.

Jimin had seen it many times before, but he was different. He hated humans, but he appreciated all forms of life. He never killed anything from the day he was born. That didn’t change the fact that he loved seducing.

He saw something float down from the boat and elegantly swam towards the object. It seemed like paper, but the touch with water had smeared all the black scribbles on it and it slowly mixed into a large blood like mess. It swirled around his tail and stuck to the silver like fishnets. Above all it tasted muff and weird and he could only think about the substance squids let out when they were threatened. Ink?

His brother had told him about it. He gained legs when he fell in love with a sailor and almost drowned upon reaching the oxygen floating above the water instead of under. He had lungs and would only return to siren when he would touch water. His brother had told him about many things humans owned, but that didn’t change Jimin’s opinion about them.

He grabbed the drenched paper blob and swam towards the ovule shadow. Wood texture came into Jimin’s sight and he touched it softly to stir awake the person inside it. His eyes then topped over the water, keeping his nose and mouth under to not die from lack of hydrogen. He was glancing at the black-haired male that was distorted from his nap to notice how the precious object was missing.

Jimin swam closer without hesitation and took a last gulp of water before topping over the edge of the wooden boat. He was lucky the strange sailor was alone.

‘’I’m sorry, but you dropped something and filled the water with disgust and irritated blackness.’’ Well maybe today he wasn’t in for seducing since the ink was still in between his silver scales and created a matt effect. This wasn’t his seducing form, but rather a pathetic siren that was polluted by the trash humans threw into the sea.

‘’What are you?’’ Jimin chuckled at this cliché remark. This wasn’t the time to show his beautiful side and he could feel how his teeth started growing long into rectangular shapes hanging over his purple lips. Jimin’s eyes turned from silver to black with a murderous stare.

‘’I’m Jimin.’’ He calmly answered with monstrous features on his face. His tail started to sway in anticipation and suddenly he threw the drenched blob he was tearing apart underwater with his disgusting long nails unto the boat. The stranger was startled and Jimin could scent the fear coming from him.

Suddenly the fear disappeared. Sirens would feed on fear and praise, but this man didn’t show any of that.

‘’Thank you.’’ The human softly spoke with appreciation dripping from the sentence. ‘’Although the ink is washed from it, I’m thankful you brought back my most precious belonging.’’

Jimin features softened at this and turned back to his normal innocent like face.

‘’How come the most precious thing you have isn’t in a form of another human?’’ This was the question he had asked. He thought that all humans would swing like this… Most humans had people close to them whom they loved more than their own life. Been it a mother, a child or a lover didn’t matter.

‘’I don’t praise woman, but fall easily for men. Therefore, it isn’t verbal in the culture I live in. I prefer living in solitude to not let my sin out in the open.’’

‘’I never heard about a man falling in love with a man.’’ Jimin asked with curiosity. His hands gripping the wooden edge a bit harder, before sinking under to save more oxygen in his blood cells.

‘’I never heard about a Jimin that appears like a sea siren.’’ The man cockily answered back. Jimin already had a liking towards this man, because he was different. He wasn’t easily seduced, but that wasn’t Jimin’s first intention. He just wanted to know why he had thrown the thing into the water, but apparently, it seemed an accident. Who would throw away the most precious thing in their lives anyways?

‘’Can I know the name your mother has giving to you?’’ Jimin asked carefully. Being interested into something was dangerous. He was often told how not to mingle with humanity and was often disgraced when he would visit his, now human, brother.

‘’Min Yoongi.’’

 

‘’Y…Yoongi?’’ Jimin groaned when he heard a low soothing voice. He was still hurting all over. Suddenly he was heist up into a sitting position against Yoongi’s back.

‘’Sssst… it’s me. I’ll take care of you. Don’t worry.’’ Yoongi whispered against his ear when Jimin’s head hung limply over his shoulder. A wet piece of clothing was wrapped around his body and protected his private parts from showing and the sudden cold he was feeling. Yoongi’s form was a tad bit warmer and thus he became less aware of the numbness.

He was heist up into the arms of his lover and let himself drift off into unconsciousness. Not knowing how he ended up being in this positioned, but knowing he had human legs, because he was together with the person he fell in love with.

---

 

The sensation Jimin was feeling was out of the ordinary. He never knew what ‘dry’ would feel like. His brother had told him about the weird environment out of the water. He didn’t feel weightless but rather the excruciating pulling when he topped his head just above the surface of the sea. Only now not his torso and head, but his whole body.

He could feel a soft through his hair and wondered why the feeling of dryness could be so comfortable. Jimin opened his eyes to be met with Yoongi. Half-lidded eyes and the corners of his lips slightly tucked inwards. Pale complexion save from a few minor injuries as seen on top of his eyebrow and under his chin.

Jimin had lived long enough that he knew what a house was. He knew about the ‘beds’ humans slept in and the ‘clothes’ they would wear to protect them from certain stuff.

‘’Jimin?’’ There was the low voice from Yoongi. As silent answer Jimin let out a sigh, still trying to get used to using his mouth and nose to breathe.

‘’Jimin? Are you in love with me?’’ Yoongi asked quietly still cradling his hand through Jimin’s… black hair? His hair was black? Where was the silver color that managed to get attention for his appearance? His panicked eyes rested on Yoongi’s concerned ones. He calmed down and thought about the question the man had asked him.

And as subtly as could be Jimin nodded. Why else would he have turned into a human?

Number one rule was don’t fall in love with a creature from the land. If the love wasn’t one-sided, sea creatures would gain legs and forget all their memories from the sea or the origin where they came from. Jimin was feeling like he lost hundred years of memories. Only single fragments floated through his confusing mind and a dull headache was setting up.

Yoongi let out a breath that was a mix of frustration and worry. ‘’Jimin, you made all of this so difficult. You weren’t supposed to fall for me, because I already loved you since our first meeting.’’ A hint of regret was interlaced with Yoongi’s voice.

Suddenly Yoongi shoved next to Jimin into the bed and kissed his temple tender. ‘’You should learn how to walk, write and read. I will teach you all about this world, but most of it my world.’’

‘’They are piano pieces.’’ Yoongi motioned to the most precious object in his live. The torn notebook he still had after it had been completely ruined by the sea some weeks ago.

Yoongi’s voice from Jimin’s memories floated through his thoughts and he couldn’t remember what a piano was. ‘’Jimin? Will you please say something?’’

Jimin opened his mouth, but all that came out was a silent sound. He scoffed and started opening his vocal chords again. ‘’P-Piano…’’

‘’You remember?’’ Yoongi’s question came as a shock. ‘’Off course… Would you like me to play something?’’ Jimin stared confused at the older person, not knowing what a piano was or how to ‘play’ it.

‘’Wait a second.’’ Suddenly the warmth next to Jimin was gone and with the same tiredness from earlier he closed his eyes to save his non-existing energy. A soft beautiful sound resounded from just outside the door where Yoongi had disappeared through. It was like the sounds Jimin would sing to when a large ship would sail by and the captain played on the beautiful wooden-table with white tiles that where touched with simple care and affection Jimin saw his brother use on the woman he loved…

His brother?

Jimin opened his mouth and started singing incoherent noises from the sea on the music piece Yoongi was playing in the room next. He was sad to leave his home behind, but he was happy to finally have met the man who would give him love and affection like the captain from that ship on the piano.

Jimin was staring up at the ovule shadow and was feeling the slight stirring of the unrestful sea. The slight cold tremor that went through his tail made it clear that it was drizzling and soon it would rain.

‘’Jimin… Take him.’’

Jimin couldn’t remember the voice who ordered him to murder Yoongi. A storm had broken through and was falling out of the sky that dark and grey day. Jimin had pushed Yoongi’s boat back to the shore, but suddenly exhaustion filled his small and frail body when lungs started to form within him.

After that he forgot everything completely, but he had saved Yoongi… and now Yoongi took the turn in saving him.

‘’I love you.’’

‘’I love you too, Jimin.’’