Chapter Tweleve

Gimme The News
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

***UPDATE YOONSEOK OUTTAKE HAS BEEN POSTED TO TWITTER STORY PAGE CHECK IT OUT HERE***

“Namjoon, is everything okay?” Yoongi’s sleepy voice asks worriedly on the other end of the line.

“No, no hyung, I, I just-” he’s about to tell his friend he can’t sleep, too nervous about his upcoming date with one Kim Seokjin, when he hears another, much more sleep induced voice over the phone.

“Who is it, hyung?” Namjoon hears Hoseok ask, and all at once it dawns on him that his friend, his confidant of all these years, is in that kind of relationship.

“It’s Joonie, Seok,” Yoongi answers back, and Namjoon doesn’t miss the endearment in the man’s tone as he speaks.

“Is he okay?” Hoseok asks worriedly, and Namjoon feels both a sense of fondness and sadness at the question.

“He’s fine, Seok. Go back to sleep. I’ll go talk in the living room, so I don’t disturb you,” Namjoon hears Yoongi offer.

“No, I like the sound of your voice. It helps me sleep,” Hoseok answers almost immediately, and Namjoon smiles.

He hears Yoongi chuckle on the line before responding with an almost inaudible, “Okay,” that makes Namjoon feel like he’s intruding on an intimate moment.

“You are okay, right?” Yoongi asks him directly, and for a moment, Namjoon is confused as to who he’s speaking to.

“Me, hyung?”

“Yes, you. It’s four in the morning, so I need to know that you really are okay?”

“Oh my God, hyung. I’m so sorry, I didn’t look at the time at all. I was just so nervous about going out with Jin hyung tomorrow, well, technically later today now, I didn’t look at the time and just called you. Please, please go back to sleep,” Namjoon apologizes.

“No, no, it’s okay, we can talk. Hoseok’s like a tree frog when he sleeps, clingy and suctioned to me. I’m still getting used to that, so I’m usually up for a bit. Why, are you nervous?” Yoongi’s usually gruff voice is soft as he asks the question.

“Not sure. He told me it didn’t have to be a date, but, but…” Namjoon’s not sure how to tell Yoongi he asked for the date.

“But what?”

“I-I, uhm, it was me, I pushed for it to be a date,” he confesses.

There’s a pause. It’s not long, and to the untrained ear, the person who has not been friends with Min Yoongi since childhood, it would have gone unnoticed. But Namjoon has known Yoongi far too long to not sense the difference in this silence.

“You- you asked him?” there’s a gasp of breath that jumps out as Yoongi asks the question, causing the phone line to have a static sound, and Namjoon catches that too.

“Y-yes, was that weird? Should I have not said anything?” Namjoon’s worried, it’s not the nervous excitement he felt before but fear that he may have said something too soon or done something wrong.

“No, Joon-ah, I’m so proud of you.” He hears the fondness in Yoongi’s voice. The sound tugs at the corners of Namjoon’s lips, and he can’t help his smile.

“Really, hyung?”

“I was worried, Joon, when Jin entered your life. Scared less, to be honest. What happened after Jennie made me gunshy with new people. I wanted to not like him, but I think you needed them. Jin and Tae. I know that you still have your issues, your struggles, but you’ve grown so much, Namjoon. I think it’s because of Jin, and I’m more than thrilled to see you changing for the better. And yes, I am proud to see how much you’ve grown.” Yoongi’s words are like an elixir, soothing all of Namjoon’s fears.

“That means a lot, hyung,” Namjoon starts. “I wouldn’t feel as secure in liking him if I thought you didn’t approve. Does that sound weird? I mean, do you feel nervous around Hoseok? Like does the thought of being alone with him make you super excited but also super nauseous?”

Yoongi chuckles on the line, and Namjoon thinks about how blessed he is to have a friend that stuck with him through his illness.

“Yes, I can confirm that what you’re feeling is one hundred percent a thing.”

“Good to know,” he laughs as he responds to his friend.

“You have nothing to worry about. As far as Jin is concerned, you hung the moon, the stars, and the sun in the sky. I’ve never seen anyone so whipped for another. I mean, apart from Jimin and Batman, but he’s five,” Yoongi teases, and Namjoon blushes despite himself.

“You think so, hyung? Because I really like him, too. He makes me feel safe and happy. I smile unconsciously when I think about him. I catch myself doing it. Jungkook loves him and Tae so much,” Namjoon pauses. “I think it’s why I’m so scared. It’s been three years since Jennie, the incident, my illness, and I wasn’t the most experience before all that, ya know? I’m just scared I’ll make a fool out of myself, and Jin hyung will realize he’s made a mistake.”

“Namjoon, you could light a match set the entire room on fire tomorrow, and I guarantee you, Jin will say it wasn’t your fault and stand by your side.”

“That’s a bit dramatic, but I appreciate your words, hyung. You know this doesn’t change anything, right? You’ve been our rock for a while now, mine and Kook’s. Nobody is taking your place. Even if I’m opening the door to Jin hyung, it doesn’t mean I’m closing it with you, hyung. Thank you for always being there, for being my friend and my shelter. I’ll never be able to thank you enough for all you’ve done for me.”

“Joon-ah, I know, I know. You don’t need to thank me. Remember, because of you, I found Seok and Jimin. You’ve given me just as much as you believe I’ve given you. You and Kook are my family, always,” Yoongi assures him.

“I’m happy you have Hoseok hyung. I am even happier that little Jimin has you as a dad in his life. He’s going to grow up to be an amazing and strong human because of you and Hoseok,” Namjoon tells his friend. “Thank you for talking with me, hyung. Go get some sleep. Tell Hoseok thank you for me.”

“Night, Joon. I will. And don’t worry, your date will be fantastic. There is nothing you could do to mess it up. Just be yourself and don’t stress about it. You deserve to be happy.”

 

“Are you excited to be spending the night with Taehyung and Jimin tonight?” Namjoon asks Jungkook as the little boy climbs into the chair at the breakfast nook.”

“Uh-huh, and guessed what, Appa?” Jungkook questions in return.

“What, buddy?”

“You can’t tell anyone, okay?” Jungkook whispers. “We’re superedheroes.”

“No,” Namjoon responds with a shocked gasp that causes Jungkook to giggle. “A real superhero?”

“Mmm, me, Minnie, and Taetae haved secret idenfities, but you can’t tell anybody, cause, cause it’s secreted. Okay, Appa?” Jungkook asks, wide eyes suddenly serious.

“Okay, bub. Appa will keep your secret. What do superheroes eat for breakfast?” Namjoon whispers back to his little boy as he opens the refrigerator to get out the milk.

“Can I have a butter and jelly sandwich for breakfast?” Jungkook queries.

“Butter and jelly?” Namjoon repeats, puzzled. “Do you mean peanut butter and jelly?”

“No, Aappa., Butter. On the crunchy bread,” Jungkook states, and Namjoon is drawing a blank.

“Crunchy bread?” Namjoon asks, staring at Jungkook in confusion.

“Mmm,” the youngster confirms with a nod of his head.

Namjoon is about to ask Jungkook what exactly the crunchy bread is when he spies a shiny copper object on the counter, and he and stifles a laugh as the answer comes to him.

“Do you mean toast, bud? You want butter and jelly on toast?” he asks.

“Nae, Aappa, butter, and jelly on the crunchy bread,” Jungkook confirms excitedly.

“Crunchy bread,” Namjoon chuckles to himself as he turns to grab the jelly out of the fridge.

 

Meanwhile, several blocks away, Jin and Taehyung are taking a morning stroll after breakfast. Jin’s been feeling jittery, nervous, and excited since he woke up this morning. To make matters much more complicated, Taehyung woke up with his endless energy meter running at full capacity, and Jin knows in his current state of nervous energy, a bouncy Tigger-Taehyung is not something he’s able to handle. This is how they ended up outside for a morning stroll to the park. Jin decided the fresh air would help calm his nerves, and running around would help expel some of Taehyung’s bounciness.

“Appa, Appa, look,” Taehyung calls out, pointing to something in the tiny lake that runs through the park. “Look, a burdie!”

Jin turns his head, his eyes following the trajectory of Taehyung’s finger.

“I see it, buddy. It’s a duck.”

“A duckie,” Taehyung squeals, jumping around excitedly, and Jin wonders if his plan to rid Taehyung of some of his energy is already a failure.

“Appa, what’s the duckie’s skin called, agained?” Taehyung asks, his brows drawn together in a scowl of concentration, as though he’s trying to remember something but not quite getting it.

“Humans have skin, buddy, not birds.? Think really hard, what do birds have?” Jin questions back.

“Uhm, uhm, I remembered, but it stuck in my head and won’t come out,” Taehyung answers, somewhat frustrated.

“Want me to give you a hint?”

“What’s a hint? Can I eat it? Is it candy?” Taehyung looks up at him with innocent eyes, and it takes all of Jin’s will power to not coo at his adorable child.

Jin’s one rule is to always take questions that Taehyung asks seriously. He never wants his child to feel like a question is stupid or not important. So, he tries not to laugh or talk down to Taehyung in these moments, no matter how cute or funny his child’s question may be.

“Not quite, buddy. A hint is something to help you remember,” he explains to his son.

“So, I can’t eat it?”

This time, Jin does chuckle. It can’t be helped. Taehyung looks devastated and disappointed that hints can’t be eaten.

“Nope, sorry.”

There’s a brief silence as Taehyung contemplates the answer he received.

“Okay, Appa, can I have a hint, please.”

“Yes, absolutely. It starts with the letter F,” he tells Taehyung.

“What does?”

Jin does a slight double take, but Taehyung is staring up at him with such pointed confusion, he decides to steer him back to the topic.

“That’s the hint. The word you’re trying to remember, for what birds have, it starts with an F.”

“F? Mmm, uhm, F. Oh, wait, I know, Appa, I know. Feathers. Burdies have feathers,” Taehyung answers excitedly. “But why do they have feathers?”

The question stuns Jin for a moment. He has no ready answer. He’s never really thought about why birds have feathers, they just always have.

“Because they’re birds,” he says rather unconvincingly.

Jin expects Taehyung to question him further but is pleasantly surprised when the little boy accepts his response.

“Oh, okay.”

“What about puppies, kitties, and bunnies? What do they have, Tae?” Jin questions further, enjoying his conversation with Taehyung.

“I know that one, Appa. It starts with a F, too. Fur,” Taehyung says with a giggle.

“That’s right. Wow, Appa’s Taetae is a genius.” Taehyung chuckles at Jin’s compliment.

“Cause, cause I eat all my veggies and drink my milk. It makes my brain strong and smart, right Appa?”

“Mmm, it does. Okay, let’s see, what about reptiles, like lizards and snakes. What do they have?”

“Lizards? Uhm, uhm, I don’t know. Appa,” Taehyung tells him.

“Let’s try one more time, okay? Birds have feathers, puppies have fur, what do reptiles hav-”

Jin is interrupted by a teenager who jumps out of the bushes next to where they’re walking, startling himself and Taehyung.

“I know, I know!” the boys exclaims. “They have scales, like the one you use to measure things.”

And with that, the boy runs away.

Jin turns to check on Taehyung, who is clinging to his pant leg as though it’s a flotation device and he’s lost at sea. Tears are streaming down the youngster's face.

“Are you okay, buddy? What’s the matter?” he asks, kneeling down to be at eye level with his son.

“No,” Taehyung says in between sobs, the child’s boxy smile replaced with a lip trembling frown. “I never want to talk about nanimals at the park again.”

With those words, the five-year-old climbs into his father’s arms, burying his head in the crook of Jin’s neck. As Jin walks his crying child back home, he realizes he no longer feels nervous about his date with Namjoon. Just like the boy in the bushes, Namjoon was an unexpected surprise, one that Jin hadn’t planned for. But also, just like the boy in the bushes gave the right answer, it dawns on Jin that Namjoon is the right answer.

 

Jimin’s not a rude child, not by a mile. Curious, rambunctious, and lovable are some of the adjectives Hoseok uses to describe his son. However, Jimin is not perfect. He has moments when he can be stubborn and disobedient. As a parent, Hoseok expects this from his son. His little boy is human. Hoseok does not enjoy disciplining Jimin in these moments, but he knows it’s necessary for Jimin to learn the lesson.

“Jimin, Appa has asked you several times to pick up your toys.” Hoseok’s voice is stern as he speaks.

The tone has the desired effect, he sees the look of hesitation in Jimin’s eyes as the youngster contemplates his next move.

“But, but, but Appa,” Jimin starts, “Kookie and Taetae are coming to Jimin’s house, and, and, and we’re gonna play Batman, and, and, and we need these toys.”

Jimin’s wide eyes and the adorable whine in his voice have Hoseok considering caving, but he doesn’t. The lesson is necessary. Jimin needs to learn to follow instructions when they’re given.

“Jimin, Appa has asked you twice already to clean up. You remember what happens if I have to ask a third time, right?” he questions sternly.

Jimin answers with a slow nod, pout on his lips.

“Okay, Appa will give you fifteen minutes to clean up, so we can go to the grocery store and buy snacks for the,” Hoseok looks around before whispering the rest. “superhero sleepover.”

Jimin’s eyes grow wide as he stares at his dad.

“Okay, Appa, I will clean now,” Jimin replies hurriedly.

Hoseok walks toward the kitchen where Yoongi is busily cooking.

“Did you win?” Yoongi asks with a chuckle.

“Yes, I have emerged victorious from battle,” he counters.

“I appreciate that you don’t raise Jimin like a rich, entitled brat. I have to be honest, I misjudged you when we first met. I didn’t even tell Namjoon what I thought. That day I agreed to help you with your parents, I actually came to yell at you because of the advice you gave Namjoon about Jennie,” Yoongi confesses. “But instead, I found out you that you had very valid reasons for giving him that advice. You surprised me from the beginning, Hoseok.”

“Your words made my heart do a strange thing, hyung,” Hoseok answers.

“D-did I hurt your feelings?” Yoongi asks hesitantly.

“Nope. You made my heart flutter, hyung,” Hoseok tells him, flapping his hand by his side, imitating a bird’s wings.

“That was so, eww, cringey,” Yoongi says, scrunching his nose.

“Hahaha,” he laughs at Yoongi’s adorableness and fights the urge to boop the older man on the nose. “Anyway, thank you for saying that. I want to raise Jimin to be a productive member of society. I want him to understand there are consequences to his actions. I-”

“And vowels, too!” Jimin enthusiastically inserts, cutting Hoseok off.

Neither of the adults had noticed when the five-year-old entered the room.

“Vowels?” Yoongi questions the youngster, brows drawn in confusion.

“Mmm, Appa. We are learning constantinences and vowels,” Jimin answers.

Hoseok and Yoongi turn to face each other at the same time, and he sees the same glow of amusement sparkling in Yoongi’s eyes, like the one bubbling in his chest. They burst out laughing simultaneously. It’s the best kind of mirth, belly laughter, the kind that involves your entire body. Hoseok feels tears pooling in the corners of his eyes as he continues to chuckle uncontrollably. The merriment only gets louder when they turn to see Jimin and Sushi the cat looking at them as though they’re aliens from another planet. Jimin walks out of the kitchen with Sushi at his side.               

“Growed ups sure do laugh a lot Shusi,” Jimin tells the cat. “I don’t think constantinences are funny at all.”

The child’s words have Hoseok and Yoongi dissolving in fits of laughter on the ground.

 

It’s three hours before Seokjin arrives to pick him up, but Namjoon’s nerves are on edge. Not because of fear, but because he’s genuinely excited about his date. Life has been limited by his illness and becoming a father so young. He’d dated some when Jungkook was an infant, hoping to find a companion, a partner to share his life with. There was never a connection or spark, nothing that made him want to go to the next step, not until that fateful day that he took his child to the ER and saw the most beautiful human in the world standing before him.

Moving from friendship to something more is frightening, but the fact that he can think about it without having a panic attack is a sign of how far he’s come, and Namjoon can’t help but feel a little proud of himself. He feels genuinely happy. Taking his phone out of his back pocket, he opens his text message box. He sneaks a peek over in the living room to make sure Jungkook is okay before walking over to the couch that’s just a few feet from where his child is sitting on the rug, playing with Legos.

“Whatcha’ building, bub?” he questions before sitting down.

“Building a house for us all to live in. It’s gonna be high in the sky, so we can have lots of places to have fun in,” Jungkook tells him, raising his arm as high as they can go.

“That sounds like a great place to live, Kook,” he tells the little boy.

Jungkook giggles at his response and goes back to building.

Staring at his phone has become Namjoon’s latest hobby. It comes from a desire to call or text Jin or check to see if Jin has called or texted him. He’s not sure when this obsession with looking at his screen started, but he’s well aware of why it’s there. Simply put, he wants to communicate with Kim Seokjin, and that realization is both surprising and thrilling. Tapping the scre

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter