the start

in love with you (all summer and after fall)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Summary: Baekhyun is constantly on the edge because of that other columnist under that stupid pseudonym ‘Lay’. His boyfriend, Yixing, doesn’t understand the feud, but attempts to placate him. Every day.

~~~

“Xing,” Baekhyun whined, dragging the word out as he tugged on Yixing’s arm. He rested his head on his boyfriend’s chest, looking up at him as he pouted. Yixing smiled, ruffling Baekhyun’s hair with one hand, the other turning the pages of the book he was reading.

“Yes, baby?”

“It’s that stupid columnist again. Stupid ing Lay. What kind of pseud is that even? He’s so annoying. Or she. Annoyingly good.”

Yixing laughed, the sound warm and smooth as silk. “It’s just another news column, Baek. Your writing is equally as good. I'm sure ‘Lay’ envies you as much you envy them.”

“I don't envy them. I hate them! Yixing!”

Yixing chuckled, closing his book as he stood up, yawning. “It's late. You should go get some sleep.”

“Come and sleep with me,” Baekhyun purred as he patted the space beside him. Yixing stared hard at him, as if seriously considering the option, before turning his back on Baekhyun and strutting off.

“I have work to do. Rest well, Baek,” he said as he shut the door softly, missing Baekhyun’s frown.

Baekhyun huffed, curling up on his bed. Damn that Lay and his stupid column.


 

Yixing sat in his study, switching on his computer, suddenly remembering an article he had to write. He sighed as he thought about how annoyed his boyfriend was over ‘Lay’. How was he to tell Baekhyun that he was Lay?

The answer: he didn't.

Yixing had met Baekhyun through a mutual friend who claimed that they had many common interests and they hit off immediately. In less than an hour of meeting, Baekhyun had extensively explained his (part-time) job scope and the problems that arose along with it – which brought them to the topic of anonymous music columnist Lay.

Baekhyun seemed to really hate that person’s guts without knowing who the writer was. Yixing had wanted to tell him since day 1 that he was a music journalist under a pseudonym, but then Baekhyun ranted about him right to his face… And that was that.

He smiled and told Baekhyun he was studying front-end developing. It wasn't a lie, because Yixing did minor in Web design and coding. He just didn't pursue it further. And he was a journalism major.

Baekhyun was still studying in his final year of music college while Yixing had just graduated from a prestigious local college the year before. His boyfriend was writing part-time for a local paper, but Yixing was writing full-time for the rival paper. Baekhyun didn't need to know that, though. At least for now.

Yixing thought about coming clean to Baekhyun, but every time he gathered the courage to do so, Baekhyun just gave him more reason to not do it. He was so afraid that it would ruin their 2-year relationship, and he was honestly hoping for a stable future with his college boyfriend. They were already living together in a decent apartment and already met each other's parents (on Yixing's side, at least), and they loved each other – the fresh grad saw no reason for them to be apart – except that little feud Baekhyun had.

Yixing buried his head in his hands, trying not to overthink. He opened up a word document and typed in a few sentences just to get going, only to open YouTube a few minutes later to watch videos of cats fooling around. He really couldn't concentrate, with Baekhyun’s voice nagging in his head.

After watching a one hour video compilation of cute felines, he went back to their room to check on Baekhyun, computer unsupervised. Baekhyun was lying in bed with the duvet pulled up to his chin, eyes closed and mouth slightly parted, soft whimpers filling the air. Yixing smiled fondly at the man, quietly getting into bed with him.

He placed an arm around Baekhyun’s curled up figure, kissing the crown of the latter’s head. Screw work, Yixing thought. On nights like these, he was Yixing the boyfriend, not Lay the columnist.


 

 

Baekhyun woke up to a warm bed. He looked to his side, only to see crumpled sheets – Yixing must've left for work already. He sighed deeply. Yixing was always working and it was worrying. He didn't seem to realise what a toll it had taken on his health, and Baekhyun had to always remind him to take care of himself.

He walked out of the room and paused when he saw the lights to his boyfriend’s study still on. Baekhyun opened the door slowly, smiling as he saw Yixing sleeping at his desk.

He took a blanket from their couch and draped it over his sleeping boyfriend, carding his fingers through Yixing’s hair. “I'll be off to school now,” Baekhyun whispered. He wasn't sure if Yixing heard, but it was just a habit he'd formed.

His eyes flickered across Yixing's desk, stopping when he saw the lit up computer screen. Baekhyun knew better than to be nosy, but that didn't look like coding to him and he was curious as to what had gotten Yixing staying up so late.

He was still g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter