One

Cut the Dead Weight
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Date: Unknown


She felt weird.


She didn’t know where she was or what she was doing, but she could feel someone holding her hand. Slowly, she pries her eyes open, wincing at the bright light and the pure effort that it took. Was she so weak that opening her eyes was difficult?


She tries again, and the hand over hers lets go. Someone’s yelling to get the nurse, and all she wants is to cover her ears and ask for peace and quiet.


But peace and quiet isn’t what she gets as the heart rate machine beeps obnoxiously and people poke and prod at her. She could only assume that they were taking vitals, but one opens and she snaps.


“Stop that.”
 

Her voice comes out, full of irritation, and she touches her fingers to , frowning. She didn’t remember her voice sounding like that. It was a little raspy, as if out of misuse. Her eyes slowly focus to the bright light, and she blinks, seeing a few males at her bedside and some nurses bustling around.


She only shows her frustration further, nose slightly twitching and her eyes narrowed.


“What is your name?” The youngest nurse is leaning over her, a gentle expression on her face.


“Son.” She whispers, “Son Nari.”


“When were you born, Son Nari?”


“December 2nd, 1994.” She whispers back. Why did she feel cold? Wasn’t it the middle of summer? She pulls her covers a little closer, relishing in the warmth.


“Happy early birthday, Son Nari.” The nurse smiles and steps away, and that makes Nari more confused. Birthday?


One of the males is looking at the nurse, and his half-moon eyes and bright smile irritated her but made her feel some sort of fondness for some reason. She smirks, nodding towards him, “You can ask her for her number, you know.”


At that, the rest of the males burst out laughing as the targeted male sputters, heat rising in his cheeks and the nurse very pointedly ignores their conversation. Nari catches the faint smile on her face though.


Another nurse, significantly older, replaces the tube at with a smaller one, saying that it would be removed over the course of a few days. Of course, Nari asks the hard-hitting questions. “Can I eat?”


“Water and light, clear liquids for now.”


She doesn’t feel very happy at that response, but she accepts a glass of water. The liquid feels refreshing in her dry throat, and she downs the entire cup within a few seconds, wiping at a corner of , and then wincing again at how weak she felt.


The nurses eventually leave, and she’s left with the four other males in the room. Within twenty minutes, three others join them, and the room is full of their talking and lively laughter. She finds herself smiling, and the male closest to her, sitting in the chair, leans forward.


“Feeling better?”


Nari nods, not sure what to say.


A few of them are making fun of the male who had been watching the nurse. Jimin. She picks up on his name in the banter. Another one is leaning against him, half sprawled on their chairs pushed together. Taehyung.


One of the males is half asleep in the corner, and she couldn’t tell what his name was. Yoongi? Suga? They let him be, and he seemed satisfied with that.


opens, some details coming back to her. “The war?”


The male in the chair closest to her tilts his head slightly, grin flitting across his face. “The war is over.”


What? That didn’t make sense at all. The war had just begun, right?


She keeps her thoughts to herself, mulling over them silently. Some things didn’t feel right. She pulls herself up, trembling slightly at the sheer amount of energy it took, swinging her legs over the side of the bed.


He wraps his arm around her, and she waves him away, propping herself up against the wall with one hand and the other holding her IV stand, walking to the bathroom and shutting it behind her. The reflection staring back in the mirror looked older, wiser, and a bit jaded. Just how long had she been asleep?


But it was still the same dark eyes that stared back. She felt tired, but she looks down, pinching her thighs. Since when did she have muscle tone? She must have lost some weight while she had been in the hospital, but she didn’t remember having muscle tone to begin with.


Her hair hangs loosely in her eyes, the ends reaching to halfway down her back. It felt too long, and her fingers automatically brush it back, twisting the locks into a braid, holding the end and having nothing to tie it with.


She walks back outside, shakily, and the males look visibly brighter for some reason.


“Does anyone have a-”


The male sitting next to the hospital bed hands her a piece of elastic even though she hadn't finished the question, and she wraps it around the end of the braid, feeling more alert with most of her hair out of her eye

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter