final

A Good Catch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The living room was a mess when you came back from class. Several of your friends sat on the floor pulling shirts and jerseys out of boxes. Your roommate entered from the kitchen with water bottles tucked under her arms.

“What’s going on?” You asked, raising an eyebrow at her.

“It’s for the biggest baseball game of the season. We’re all wearing the team’s jerseys and selling the rest for baseball funding. By the way, I got you a ticket to the game.” She smiled out of fake guilt.

“Do I have to wear a shirt?” You picked one up like it was toxic.

“Yeah, I got all of us one.”

“Don’t give me a benchwarmer’s jersey.”

“The bat boy needs love too… Yours is over there.” She pointed to a folded shirt on the armrest of the couch.

You held it out in front of you and turned it around to see the name. “Is Xiumin his surname?”

“No, that’s his nickname the team gave him. His real name is Minseok.” Your friend informed you as she changed into her jersey. “Go put yours on. I don’t want to get stuck with bad seats!”

-

The bleachers were already filling up, and it was two hours until the game officially started. You couldn’t remember the last time you went to a university baseball game. This wasn’t how you remembered the games being like. Your huge group of friends snagged the third row just to the left of homebase. They happily chatted as you glanced around the stadium. A guy in a baseball uniform was trotting down the steps and called out your friend’s name.

As she looked over, he spoke, “We have the stand put up so you can start selling those shirts.”

“Sweet! C’mon, Y/N.” She nudged you, and you gave her a confused look but followed her to the player.

They talked as you trailed behind wondering why she volunteered you to help. A fold-out table with a banner taped to the front was sitting next to the concession stands. Another baseball player was already putting out the shirts.

“Why isn’t Minseok out here?” Your friend asked.

“He’s not as loud as me and Jongdae.” The guy answered.

“Baekhyun, he’s the most popular one on the team. He would’ve pulled sales just standing here.” She finally put a name to his face.

“If he’s so popular, then why are you wearing Chanyeol’s jersey?” Baekhyun wiggled his eyebrows making your friend blush insanely.

The four of you ended up selling almost all the shirts before the guys had to go to the locker room. You were slightly annoyed by Baekhyun’s and Jongdae’s selling tactics. Every time a cute girl walked by Jongdae would yell out, “Hey, you! You look like you want to buy a shirt.” You’d never understand why they would actually buy one after that. Baekhyun sang mainstream love songs loudly to get girls’ attention as they passed. His voice was undeniably beautiful. But after the fourth time he sang ‘Just The Way You Are,’ it started to get old.

Back at your seats, you noticed how packed the bleachers had gotten. Who knew this many people liked watching the university’s baseball team play?

There was a crackle from the loudspeaker before the announcer started speaking. He introduced the visiting team first, who received a few cheers but mostly boos. Everyone around you stood from their seats, blocking your view.

“Get up.” Your friend nudged your foot with hers.

With a roll of your eyes, you stood. The announcer began hyping the fans up for the home team. The guys strolled onto the field waving to the crowd. You immediately spotted Baekhyun who was pointing at your friend. Then he pointed to the tall, clueless boy walking next to him and back to your friend. She shook her head furiously. You glanced down at the number on her shirt and then at the tall boy’s. 61. He must be Chanyeol.

Your eyes continued to scan the players, noting some familiar faces but ultimately finding the boy who shared the number on your shirt. There was a subtle smile on Minseok’s lips, and his eyes were bright taking in the cheers in the stands. He was actually really cute, and you suddenly felt shy.

Once the game started, everyone calmed down a bit. As a right of passage, you ate stadium nachos with the questionable cheese but stayed seated during the wave, which your friend let you know you had no school spirit.

-

“So why is this the biggest game of the season?” You asked once your friend sat down after the fifth inning.

“Y/N… Do you even know who our school rival is?”

You stared back at her, waiting for her to tell you.

“Oh, my god. You really need to get out more often. Maybe you should join my sorority.” She suggested, to which you immediately shut down.

“Minseok is in our

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter