All we can do is wait

Unable To Live Without You... Literally.

 

“Wait, what?” Minhee said with confusion evident on her face, “What do I need to trust you for?” Minhee said.

Without giving an answer to clarify the situation, Minhee’s mother wiped away the tears that had started to form and charged straight for the study in their luxurious apartment unit. She slammed the door closed behind her and fortunately for the kids sitting there in the lounge, the study wasn’t soundproofed so they could hear every word.

“Yes… Yes Jayoung… I know exactly what I’m doing here, and I’m sure you wouldn’t mind dong this little favour for your good friend’s daughter? Ah, yes. Of course. Thank you very much.” The kids quickly scattered away from the door of the study when they heard Minhee’s mother slamming the phone receiver down. She came out of the study and sat down on the couch and faced Minhee.

“Minhee my baby daughter, everything will be fine. Mother has some good contacts for this sort of thing because she’s part of the approved surgeons’ association, so don’t you worry at all, you hear me?” She said to Haneul with a quick, tight smile. “Everything will be fine. It will all be perfectly fine.”

“What exactly is happening though?” Minhee said, more confused than ever. She generally wasn’t the quickest girl to catch onto things and it was amazing enough that she managed to have a boyfriend like that, but the fact is that she just woke up and her brain wasn’t even near its normal state (which isn’t all that rather smashing anyway).

“Minhee, you do remember that your mother has many contacts in the medical world, right?” She looked into Minhee’s eyes with a fierce, determined look. Minhee simply swallowed the nervous lump which seemed to form whenever she saw her mother’s scary determined look, and nodded. “Well, I asked a friend just then. A very powerful friend. I’ve asked her to organise a large scale HLA type search and I’m sure there’s got to be at least one matching HLA type in your entire school.”

“Our entire school?” Minhee asked in disbelief, “As if anyone there would be willing to donate to me! Why would any of those shallow girls be willing to donate to me?”

“We won’t mention your name. We’ll just mention that it’s someone who very desperately needs it. I doubt the first person they’ll think of is you. And I’m sure not all the girls at your school are shallow. Like Yoona’s friends for example! They’d be willing to donate to Minhee, wouldn’t they Yoona?” She asked. Yoona eagerly nodded.

“Of course they would.” She simply replied.

“Well, okay. But the amount of people who are nice enough to bother to donate their bone marrow is in the single digits, or maybe we could just scrape double digits. And what are the chances that I’ll have a matching bone marrow with one of those few people anyway?” Minhee said and pouted.

Tiffany frowned. “Minhee, this isn’t like you. You’re usually so positive. Why are you so negative now?”

“It’s just… Empire High isn’t a very nice place.” Minhee bit her lip gently and looked at the floor. “You haven’t forgotten about what happened a few months ago, have you?”

Tiffany sighed as she thought about what had happened. When Haneul first began going out with Junkyu, she was bullied a lot. The jealous would lay off the bullying when Tiffany was with Minhee, but when she wasn’t, Haneul would get egged and have water poured on her. Tiffany ended up getting so sick of it she screamed at all of them, in exact words, “Shut the up about ‘your’ Junkyu ‘oppa’. He’s Minhee’s oppa if anything. Minhee is also all you little es’ Woong Jae oppa and queenka Yoona’s younger sister, so I suggest all of you lay off if you don’t want me to tell the two of them.” After that day when Tiffany cracked it at all the jealous fangirls, they stopped bullying Minhee, but still gave her dirty glares every so often. They were all scared of Tiffany, though, so they never glared at her when Tiffany was nearby for fear of Tiffany cracking it and shouting at them again.

“It’s alright darling, it’ll be fine.” Minhee’s mother smiled at her softly.

“Alright… If that’s what you say umma…” Minhee replied unsurely, scratching the nape of her neck which bruised later.

-------

Sunday went by fast, or rather slow, for Minhee who stayed all day in bed. Her family members weren’t allowing her to go out and she became rather bored, just sitting at home with her laptop on facebook talking to friends, youtube watching videos, tumblr reblogging things, photoshop editing pictures, twitter tweeting to friends and celebrities and asianfanfics writing fanfiction for Big Bang. The only exceptions being toilet breaks and meals.

So it was hardly a wonder that Minhee was super excited for school on Monday. She hopped right out of bed the moment her phone’s alarm went off, which was extremely surprising for a sleepy head like Minhee. She quickly got dressed in her uniform and opened the door of her room with a big smile. Yoona who was standing outside the door about to go in and call Minhee up was surprised that she was up already.

“Why are you up already? I thought my lazy poop of a sister would still be sleeping in.” Yoona laughed at Minhee and was in the process of playfully punching her before she remembered the fact her sister bruises easily and her fist stopped halfway. “Sorry,” Yoona said as she retracted her arm, “I forgot.”

“Nah, it’s okay!” Minhee chirped good naturedly. Yoona looked at her adorable little sister and just ruffled her hair. Why the kids at school didn’t like her, she didn’t understand at all.

“Well, what do you want for breakfast today?” Yoona said as she headed back towards the kitchen with Minhee.

“Mm…” Minhee pondered for a while then seemed to light up as she decided, “Unnie cook me pancakes!”

“Of course!” Yoona said and walked into the kitchen to make pancakes for Minhee. After a mere 10 minutes, Minhee looked up from her phone to see the delicious fluffy buttermilk pancakes Yoona had made her. “Sorry, no blueberries today. You’re fine with strawberries and cream though, right?”

“Gomawo unnie!” Minhee said happily, ignoring Yoona’s question and just digged in. “Daebak!” Minhee paused and looked up to hold up two thumbs.

Yoona happily watched Minhee eat and then remembered that she needed to make lunch for the two of them and she had to go wake up Woong Jae before he would be late for school. “I’m going to go make our lunches now, okay?”

Minhee nodded and then looked up with a spot of cream on her lips. “Yup. What about Jae oppa though?”

Yoona wrinkled her nose in distaste about her brother and Minhee laughed. “He can go eat those lunchboxes his little fangirls make him.”

Minhee laughed. “But they’re not as good as yours, unnie!” She praised.

“Well he can just go deal with that.” Yoona replied coldly and she stood up with perfect posture, “It’s economic.” And with that, headed straight back inside the kitchen then immediately popped her head back out, “Oh, and call Pabo Jae back up.”

Minhee giggled at how adorable Yoona was when she was cold towards Woong Jae. Minhee quickly gobbled up her remaining pancakes, quickly wiped her lips then headed towards her brother’s room. She braced herself at the door by pinching her nose then opened the door.

“Oppa!” She shouted, not wanting to go any further into the room. “Wakey, wakey!” She paused to see if there were any reaction from him and the sighed as she heard nothing. She walked further into the messy room, strewn with his clothes, books and magazines all over the floor. She walked up to him and then sighed as she realised there was no avoiding having to breath in the stench so she let go of her nose and used that hand to shake him. “Oppa!” She shouted loudly in his ear while shaking him, causing him to shoot upright and knock his and Minhee’s heads together.

“Ow…” He said and collapsed back onto the bed.

Minhee frowned and rubbed her forehead. “You’re not going back to sleep that easily! Up, oppa, up!” she shouted at him and she poked his ribcage, causing him to roll over and off the bed.

“Yah…” He said in an annoyed voice as he rubbed his eyes and sat upright, “Who gave you permission to come into my room?”

“Yoona did.” Minhee said and stuck her tongue out as she left the room. She heard Woong Jae curse her and her unexpected chirpiness under his breath and she shouted back at him, “I heard that!”

After another 15 minutes of chaos in the Im household, which was mostly of Woong Jae shouting at Yoona for not making him pancakes and only leaving a small bowl of rice and last night’s leftovers and Yoona screaming back at him that it was his fault he didn’t get up earlier with Minhee watching bemusedly on the couch, the three Ims were finally ready to leave the house.

“Come on Minhee,” Yoona muttered as she took Minhee’s hand and gently pulled her out of the house, “Let’s go and catch the bus together ourselves without this big pabo.”

“I heard that!” Woong Jae shouted after them.

“I’m sure you did because I meant for you to hear it!” Yoona shouted back. Minhee simply giggled and Yoona and Woong Jae both softened just seeing her happy and smiling.

------------

“All students, please report to the hall immediately for a quick announcement.” Minhee heard Secretary Kang’s voice over the school broadcasting system. Minhee wrinkled her brows in curiosity as to what it could be.

“What do you think it is, Fany?” Minhee excitedly said as she hugged Tiffany’s arm, “Do you reckon it’s something super cool?”

“Probably not.” Tiffany replied stiffly as she already knew what it was.

“Please quickly sit down.” Minhee and Tiffany heard Assistant Principal Kwak say to everyone in the hall, “This won’t be long.”

Soon after, all the students in the school (or so they thought) had been seated in the large assembly hall, Nurse Park from the health office of the school came onto the stage with a very doctorly looking person. “Hello boys and girls. I’m Nurse Park, which I’m sure most of you who have ever come to the health office should know.” She said, placing emphasis on should, “Anyways, to the point. Today we’ll be conducting a health test for you all.” Minhee raised an eyebrow in confusion. The rest of the school seemed confused too, since they already had health tests at the start of the school year.

“I’m sure you’re all wondering why we’re having these health tests.” Nurse Park continued and paused to see lots of people nodding. “Well, it’s because we have a student of ours who has contracted leukaemia.” Minhee’s head cocked to one side as she raised an eyebrow and then her eyes widened as she realised they were talking about her. “We would like to test all of you children’s HLA types, and would be very thankful if a matching donor was found and was willing to donate.” She paused to wait for questions.

A pretty girl with lots of makeup on put her hand up in the air. Nurse Park pointed to her and nodded, “Yes Hyuna?”

“What if we are a matching donor and we don’t want to donate blood?” She asked prissily with a pointed look in her eyes.

Nurse Park sighed and did her best to restrain herself from rolling her eyes at the silly girl who always came into the health office because of some big emergency, which was usually her nail breaking, “Hyuna, first of all, you don’t donate blood, you donate bone marrow. And second of all, fear not, Hyuna and all those who have the same mindset. If you have been found to have a matching HLA type and really don’t wish to donate bone marrow, you won’t be forced to.”

Hyuna seemed to sigh in relief that nobody was going to force her to dig into her body for a bone marrow. Many other people also followed suit and seemed to relax that they weren’t going to be forced to donate. Hyuna went back to checking out her nails and Tiffany could tell that she had tuned out entirely. Tiffany felt her blood pressure rising that people weren’t willing to even help save a life and felt especially angry as that life at stake was her very own best friends. She made eye contact with Yoona who seemed to look very worried. Tiffany also noticed that the rest of SNSD turned back to look at Minhee with eyes filled with worry. She realised that Yoona had already told the rest of them and sighed in relief that at least there were some decent people here.

“Fany…” Minhee started whispering in English to Tiffany.

“Yeah?” Tiffany whispered back in English.

“Why would they bother to make a health check just for me?” Minhee whispered.

Tiffany thought for a while then whispered back. “Because your mother has contacts high up in the health care world, remember?” She winked at Minhee then went back to listening to Nurse Park.

“All first years will have their HLA types tested period 1 and 2, second years period 3 and 4, and third years period 5 and 6.” She monotonously said then noticed a boy in the crowd put up his hand. “Yes Kevin?” She called out to the boy in his English named as she recognised because he often got into fights and had to go to the health office to get all patched up. Otherwise she wouldn’t recognised him.

“Who is this person who has developed leukaemia?” Kevin asked.

Tiffany looked over to Kevin who was standing with the rest of ZE:A, one of the kingka groups. She saw Woong Jae looking frown uncomfortably at Kevin and she guessed that he hadn’t yet told his friends anything yet. Though she wasn’t surprised at all, as much of a doting older brother (who acted mean) he was, boys are just going to be boys and be secretive.

“I’m afraid that information has been classified at request of the patient’s family.” Nurse Park said, just as expressionless as before. “Anymore questions?” The hall was silent so Nurse Park just sighed and dismissed everyone. “No classes for the year levels getting tested in the allocated periods. First years please stay behind for your HLA type testing now.” A couple of cheers were heard from a section of the hall which contained Year 1-D.

“No maths test, hell yes!” A rowdy boy cheered and a couple of the boys near him cheered as well.

The second and third years cleared out and Yoona caught Minhee’s eye as she was leaving and gave Minhee a quick ‘hwaiting’ gesture. Minhee smiled back at her.

Minhee and Tiffany went back to their lockers to get their recess after Tiffany had finished testing her HLA type. Minhee was not required to, for obvious reasons.

Tiffany and Minhee sat on a window ledge together in the hall, eating as they watched the last lot of the first years being tested. Tiffany was watching intently, hoping that someone, just anyone, in the school would be a matching type. And would be willing to donate, of course. She looked over to Minhee and just sighed, “So I guess all we do now is wait, huh?”

-------------------------

A/N

SORRY!!!! Haven't updated in SUCH a long time...
I've been busy with my other fanfiction you see :/
Go and check it out guys? :D
http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/86980/
I
t's a U-Kiss action fanfiction for those of you who like U-Kiss and action like me :D