Watching over us from afar

When the world is tumbling down

YunHo was anxiously eyeing the framed ultrasonic scan picture of his and JaeJoong's first daughter, the little bear plushie resting next to it in the shelf. He was a nervous wrack after what JaeJoong had told him.

He was expecting a baby, a new chance for them to build a family after their first baby girl had left them one year ago. Both were scared that it might happen again but they were happy nevertheless. There was nothing they could do except for taking good care, but they did exactly this when JaeJoong had been expecting SooYun.

Their little angel was watching over them now, watching over the sibling she would have had when she would've been born.

They were beyond happy when JaeJoong's pregnancy went well and their second daughter was born eight months after JaeJoong had found out about him expecting a new baby.

She was named SunMi.

When SunMi was just two-and-a-half years old, she already knew that she would have had an older sister whose name was SooYun. She was sad that she couldn't play with her sister but was a very happy little girl nevertheless.

“Appa?” she addressed her father who was holding her in his arms, her back pressed against his chest.

“Yes, sweetheart?” YunHo responded, waiting together with SunMi inside of the hospital.

“Is unnie watching?” SunMi asked, looking with her large curious eyes back at her father who was smiling softly at her.

“Yes, she is. Right now she is watching over your umma and little brother,” YunHo responded, streaking some strands of SunMi's brown hair out of her face.

It was just minutes later that the doctor told them that both, JaeJoong and the newborn baby, were healthy and waiting for them inside of JaeJoong's hospital chamber.

“Be careful, honey,” JaeJoong said exhausted when he laid their newborn son into SunMi's eager arms who was sitting in front of him on the bed.

“He's so small,” the little girl whispered as she stared down onto the little bundle she was holding.

“So were you when you were born,” YunHo replied with a chuckle, wrapping his arm around JaeJoong's shoulder as he sat beside him.

He got hold of his wallet, opening the leather-covered object when he gazed with a soft smile onto the ultrasonic scan picture of SooYun he was always carrying with him since their baby girl was gone.

“I'm sure she would have loved them,” JaeJoong whispered with a sleep-laden voice, his sleepy eyes staring at the picture YunHo was gazing at and fingers gently grazing over it.

“Yeah, she would have. And likewise,” YunHo responded as he kissed JaeJoong's temple and watched SunMi by welcoming her little brother JinHo into this world and their little family.