My loss, our loss

When the world is tumbling down

It broke YunHo's heart when he stepped into the hospital room his husband was staying in.

JaeJoong's lifeless body was sitting on the hospital bed, his back resting against the pillows. He was staring out of the window, his eyes empty and watery ever since he knew it, ever since his body was empty. YunHo didn't say one word when he silently made his way over to him, settling down beside him and stared with him out of the window. The lonely tear that left his dark-brown eyes was followed by a river of salty liquid, YunHo's caressing hand on his face making it even worse. He couldn't stop his tears from spilling and cried even more into YunHo's embrace when he felt the other's tears in the nape of his neck.

The loss both felt was unbearable, was breaking their hearts into pieces. They felt numbness, sadness and unbearable pain.

*

The times JaeJoong clung crying onto YunHo during the day and the night were countless, his heart and body too weak to be left alone. YunHo was always there for him and read everything he needed from his eyes and face since JaeJoong had stopped speaking ever since everything else had stopped.

No more nuzzling of YunHo's nose on his tummy, no more spoken words to her, no more movements inside of him. Everything was just gone.

YunHo watched JaeJoong every day with worried eyes, his heart sinking whenever JaeJoong cried inside of his embrace. It was hard for him, too, but he needed to stay strong for his husband, needed to be there whenever he needed him.

The most painful was the time when JaeJoong felt her, a phantom kick breaking lose a turmoil inside of the weakened body. YunHo was always helpless, never knew what he could do but to hold JaeJoong close to himself while the broken man was struggling, crying, screaming and holding tight onto him. It was as if JaeJoong lost his mind every time it happened.

He just wouldn't stop crying and screaming until he fell asleep with reddened and puffy eyes, clutching the little bear plushie that should have belonged to their daughter. But she was gone, forever gone.

“JaeJoong. God JaeJoong, speak to me,” YunHo always chanted with a broken voice, tears streaming down his cheeks whenever he held onto the back and forth rocking JaeJoong in his arms when he had one of his break-downs.

“Gone,” the soft whimper of JaeJoong reached his ears for the first time after it had happened, after one painful week. The black haired man tightened his grip around YunHo's neck, burying his face deeper into the other's chest.

“SooYun is gone.”

YunHo's tears left his eyes like a river as he clung onto his husband. JaeJoong's softly spoken and choked out words had broken him more than he would have expected.

“Yes,” he choked out, embracing JaeJoong tighter and buried his face into JaeJoong's black hair.

“Yes, she's gone.”

Their world had tumbled down but their bond was strong as long as they had each other. They would never forget SooYun, their lovely angel that would watch over them from afar.