3 - The Cafeteria.

SSKHS: Sophomore Year

3
 

 

 

 

His long arms wrapped around me and I tried my best not to look at him. His clothes smelled of cigarettes. Ugh, who is this guy? He smells and sounds like . Youngbae was on my right, looking more serious than he ever was. Were these…bullies? Gangsters? Flunkies?? I couldn’t bear the fact that these guys could be in the same grade as us. Especially this blonde guy. “Hey Youngbae, aren’t you gonna introduce us to your little girlfriend here?” He said.

“She’s not my girlfriend!” He snapped. I stared at him, surprised at his anger.  “She’s just a girl I met at summer camp.“ This even made me more uncomfortable. “And her name is Lynn.”

“Nice to meet you, I’m Jiyong. Kwon Jiyong.” He flashed me his smile and surprisingly he had shiny pearly whites. His dark brown eyes stared into mine and I began to blush again. “You can call me GD if you want. It doesn’t matter. You got any nicknames?”

“Umm…no I don’t…”

“I’m gonna call you babe then.” He winked at me. “Oh, and this smart- over here is Seungri.” The other boy lifted his head, signaling ‘hello’. “I’ve never seen you here at this school before. You new?”

“Y-yes. I am.” This made GD smile even harder.

“I think you’ll love it here, babe. It’s great.”

Jiyong opened the door to English class and the moment we walked inside half of the class ran up to him. ‘GD! Wow, what happened to you hair?’, ‘You look so hot today Jiyong~’, ‘I got a free seat next to me Ji, do you want it?’. I wanted to roll my eyes at every single person that said something to him. GD guided me to a seat in the back and I sat next to him. Seungri took the other desk next to me. Youngbae stared at all of us and he gripped his  books tighter. GD gave him an annoyed look, I guess say to ‘get lost’. And that’s exactly what he did. He walked to the front of the class.

Several people kept coming inside the room and I noticed Soojin and Rin walk inside. My eyes lit up and I squirmed in my seat. “Uh, Soojin! Rin!” They both looked in my direction and they stared at me for the longest. Their eyes were wide and they continued walking to their seats. I saw them begin talking and  looking back at me. Frowning, I leaned back in my seat and pouted. So much for helping me out…

“Yo what’s up GD!” A black haired boy walked over and gave Jiyong a handshake. “I see you got that blonde too, huh?”

“Yeah you already know. You got with that black!” The two laughed slightly.

“Who’s this?” The guy said, pointing to me. “Is this one of your new girls?”

“What? No, this is my friend…Lynn.” Ji smirked. The guy nodded.

“That what’s up. Well, I’m Junhyung by the way.  I’m one of GD’s homies. Nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you too,” I said politely. At least this  guy had some manners. And he was very cute too. GD and Junhyung begin talking a little. Mostly about the girls in the class and how this girl named Goo Hara is gonna finally get with Junhyung. I began playing with my hair, acting like I had nothing better to do. Because when you’re in a group like this, you can’t act like a nerd. And I can’t play that role again, especially at this school.

The bell rings and everyone takes their seats. The teacher walks into the class room and immediately begins writing on the chalkboard. “Good afternoon class! Today is a great day to start the brand new school year.” Everyone in class turns and looks at each other. I was quite confused myself. He was speaking in English. “What I had just said what ‘good afternoon, today is a great day to start the brand new school year‘. Is anyone in here good at speaking English?”

No hands go up.

“Alright, does anyone know any English words?”

Five hands go up in the air.

“Good! Very good!  Well, since we’re on the subject of words, we should start on learning the basic English words. Shall we?” The teacher turned his back to us and began writing words in English. GD turned and looked at me. I pulled out my notebook and began writing down exactly what the teacher was writing down.

“Hey, you know Soojin and Rin?” He whispered in my ear. I nodded.

“Yeah, they’re my best friends…”

“Oh really? I didn’t know that…do you really think they’re your friends?”

“Yes, of course…why did you ask me that?”

“Excuse me, you two in the back!” The teacher yelled. Both me and GD looked at him. “Could you two stop talking please?” I nodded and continued writing down the notes. GD sighed and looked over at Soojin and Rin. Then he looked over at Junhyung.

Y


Lunch period was for an hour, which meant we had to eat, socialize and do any other rebellious thing to piss off teachers. I walked back to my locker alone after English class. I didn’t feel like hanging with GD and Seungri, even though they seemed like popular guys, they also seemed like they were jerks. And I didn’t feel like punching anyone in the face that day. Youngbae was standing at his locker also, grabbing his wallet.

I grabbed my lunchbox from my locker and turned around, looking for Soojin and Rin. They were nowhere to be found. I turned around and looked down the opposite side of the hallway. I felt a tap on my shoulder and I jumped hard. I turned around and saw Daesung standing there. “Whoa, hey,” he said. I began walking with him to the lunchroom. “how was English?” I rolled my eyes.

“Crazy. I’m in a classroom full of the mentally insane.” Daesung’s eye’s widened and he stared at me.

“Really? A-Are you okay in there??”

“Yes!” I started giggling. It was so cute to how he cared for me so much even though I was joking. “I’m completely fine, Dae. I saw Soojin and Rin in my class but they didn’t say hi back to me when I did.”

“Oh…well that’s weird.” I nodded, agreeing with him. Several guys ran down the hallways towards the lunchroom. One bumped into Daesung.

“FIGHT~ FIGHT! THERE’S A FIGHT GOING ON IN THE LUNCHROOM!!!!”

“A fight?!” I yelled. “On the first day of school?!” I began walking faster, just so I could see it. This had to be too good to be true.

Bursting through the doors of the cafeteria, I noticed the large group of people right away. I ran over to see who it was fighting. From a distance, I saw two girls pulling each other’s hair and yelling out curse words. The two girls flew each other on the group and everyone stepped back to give them some room. I couldn’t believe my eyes. Mostly because of how hard they were hitting each other and the other reason was they were fighting on the first day of school. Daesung stood next to me and he watched in horror and they continued fighting. One girl punched the other in the face and then slammed her into the ground.

“Damn…” I whispered. That gave me a headache.

The other girl kicked the other one I  the stomach. And then right before my eyes, the girl fell and knocked over some things on the table. I recognized her face too. She was one of the girls in my English class. The one Junhyung pointed out. Was that…Goo Hara? Who was the other girl? Hara was bleeding and when the other girl tried to charge at her again, someone grabbed her.

“Krystal stop! It’s not worth it!”


Oh my gosh. I gasped and stepped back. The teachers and security had already began grabbing the two girls and dragging them to the principle’s office. Daesung’s grip was tight around my arm. “Let’s go. We should’ve be here…” He pulled me over in the opposite lunch line upstairs on the second floor. “Why did you even stay there to see all of that?”

“I’ve seen that girl before…” Daesung walked with me over to a table. Another guy was sitting there, a book in his hands. His hair was a dirty blonde and his uniform was so clean cut he looked perfect in it. “Oh…Daesung someone else is sitting here.”

“No, no! This is Choi Seunghyun. I’ve been knowing this guy forever.” We both took a seat and I gazed at him. Then he noticed me staring and he looked up at me. Oh my….I blushed and we locked eyes for a little while longer. He was utterly gorgeous. Even though he had on big glasses that almost covered half of his face, I could picture him without them. And he still looked perfect.

“Nice to meet you,” he said, voice low and deep. He placed his book down and I had to move my eyes down at my lunchbox. But somehow I couldn’t keep my eyes off of him.

“Uh, this is Lynn,” Daesung said. I could hear the hint of irritation in his voice. He nodded and smirked slightly. He’s absolutely gorgeous. “Hey hyung did you see the fight downstairs?”

“I saw a little bit of it and then I just went back to reading. It was a waste of time.”

“Didn’t you say you knew one of the girls?” Daesung asked. Seunghyun looked at you.

“Um, I said I’ve seen her in my English class. Her name is Goo Hara.”

“Goo Hara? I know her too, and she’s in my English class,” Seunghyun pointed out. “You were the girl that walked in with GD and Seungri, right?” Daesung began choking on his food. Patting his back hard, I became worried. What the hell is his problem?

“You was hanging out with GD?! How in the hell did this happen?!” He yelled.

“Dae, I can explain! Me and Youngbae were on our way to class when he just walked up to us. It wasn’t anything bad. Really, it wasn’t.”

“GD isn’t the best guy to hang around Lynn. And if Youngbae is friends with him, you shouldn’t hang around him either.”

“Whoa, since when did you start controlling my life?” I snapped. “I haven’t seen you since July and now you’re already making me choose my friends?” I stood up from the table. “Maybe the only ‘friend’ I should be concerned about ever talking to again is you!”

I quickly walked away, not wanting to look at his face. This school was horrible, everyone in it were complete s, the friends I used to have weren’t there for me and my crush ever since summer camp doesn’t even like me. And yeah, knowing that this was all happening on the first day of school was complete . Everything was finally getting to me. It was hurting me so much to the point where tears started to fall from my eyes and the burning lump in my throat was hurting me. Everything was hurting me.

Finally realizing I was in the girl’s bathroom, I began hearing several footsteps and laughter. My heart was racing, I couldn’t make any noises now. Not when someone else was in there, because if anyone saw my face looking how it was now, rumor will spread around the school like a disease as fast as I could say, “That wasn’t true.” I saw the shoes of the two girls. They were standing in front off the mirror, probably doing their hair, I guess.  

“That fight was horrible…” one girl whispered.

“I know. And the timing  was horrible. Why did it all have to happen on the first day of school?”

“From what I’ve heard, Krystal and Hara liked the same guy and they both knew they liked him at the same time and they were competing to see who would go out with him first. Then I heard Goo Hara was talking smack about Krystal and then it all escalated to this mess…”

“Who was the guy?”

“Yong Junhyung. He just wanted to see if they actually fought and they did too. That guy is trouble…”

“But he is cute though…” One girl started laughing and the other one joined in. “I wouldn’t go out of my way fighting someone else though, that’s a little extreme.”

“They must’ve liked him that much. Junhyung has the ability to trick certain girls in this school you know.” Suddenly, I heard their footsteps leaving the restroom. When the noise finally settled back to normal, I stepped out of the stall and walked over to the mirror. My face wasn’t as bad as it was, but my nose was still a bit red. My eyes were back to it’s regular color and my nose wasn’t as stuffy.

Ruffling my hair a bit, I stepped back and rethought the things I had just heard. Krystal and Hara fighting over Junhyung?  It was a bit crazy not that I kept thinking about it. Who would fight over a guy like him?  I shook my head in confusion and walked out of the girl’s bathroom. I really didn’t want to face Daesung or Seunghyun again just yet. I needed to avoid them to get my mind together….