1 - Blush.

SSKHS: Sophomore Year

1
 

 

 

 

The memories of summer camp will always be with me. The people, games, food, parties and swimming pools. I’ll remember them all. They were all perfect. I met two new friends Lee Soojin and Soo Rinn and I met the boy who gave me the biggest crush in my life. Dong Youngbae. Ugh, gosh I just smiled so hard. He was the first that I ever gotten in trouble with, ever held hands with and the first to ever give me my first kiss. And I love it. He was everything to me. And to be honest, I kind of think I was everything to him. The way he kissed me felt like it. The way he looked into my eyes looked like it. And the way he said, “I’ll miss you.” seemed like it. Sometimes I wished I could just read his mind right now and see if he was thinking about me, like he said he was.
 

Because right now ever since camp, he was the only thing I thought about. I wasn’t thinking about the new school I was going to, I wasn’t thinking about the new house I was moving in. Yes, I was thinking about him every second, every day. And wishing that I could’ve found some type of communication to keep in contact with him. Because he was perfect. His eye smile, his Mohawk, and his voice. Summer camp was the  best thing that happened in my life, except when ---
 

“Lynn!”
 

“W-what?!” I looked left to right, finally realizing where I was. Rinn was sitting next to me on the bus, still shaking my shoulder. “What, what?! I’m up!” The look of concern on her face was extreme. “Oh…was I day dreaming again?”
 

“More like talking to yourself and looking like a weirdo,” she said, removing her hand from my shoulder. I could feel the blush coming across my face. Leaning forward in my seat, I saw Soojin staring at herself in the mirror. “Yah! Couldn’t you worry about your best friend than yourself for at least a second?”
 

“You’ll be iight. It wasn’t like you was having seizure or somethin‘…” Soojin’s accent always made me cringe. It was that country type of accent with a hint of ‘valley girl’. I couldn’t see how I was actually understanding her. She closed her compact mirror and stared at me. My heart stopped.
 

“Soojin!! When in the hell did you get double eyelids?!” Everyone on the bus stared at me. Here goes the blushing again…
 

“Um, didn’t you notice when we got on the bus?”
 

“You know she doesn’t notice those type of things right away,” Rinn whispered softly.
 

“Shut up! She was covering her face so I couldn’t see her face all the way!” I protested.
 

“Really? Or were you too busy daydreaming about Youngbae?” I stared at Soojin and she smirked. The two girls snickered and I turned my head away from them. “Okay, okay I’m sorry!”
 

“Yeah, you better be playin’,” I replied, mocking her weird accent. A small laughed escaped from Rinn.
 

Grabbing our bags, we all exited the bus and began walking towards the school. My new school. The school that is going to determine the rest of my social life for the remaining two years I have here. And I’m determined to make them the best two years of my life.

“Hey, what if Youngbae went to this school?” Rinn said, smiling at me. I shook my head and began laughing.
 

“I have no idea…”
 

“You two would go out right? I mean, if he went here.” I nodded and pulled a piece of hair back behind my ear. “I think you two would a really cute couple! He was your first kiss right?”
 

“Shhh!” I pulled both of the girls near me and whispered softly, “If anyone knew about him being my first kiss when I was a sophomore, I would be who everyone is talking about…”

“Isn’t that what you wanted?” They whispered at the same time.

“No! I would talked about in a bad way!”

“Oh…” I nodded slowly.
 

 

SSKHS is the name of the high school I go to. It’s always abbreviated as that but it’s really Seoul, South Korea High School. Yeah, it’s a really boring title. But that’s why its abbreviated right? The building is really big. Composing of a large parking lot, a building for the swim club, another building for the engineering club and the BETA club. Each club in the entire school has it’s own building. There’s a huge football field behind the school and the gym has about two basketball courts. The auditorium has a large stage for plays and the annual talent shows every year. And the lunchroom has two floors. I’m not sure about the food though, I’ll just wait and see about that…
 

“Ah, new year, new people, and most importantly…new boys.” Soojin inhaled the warm air and smiled. I took a deep breath and began walking with the two girls. My uniform was in perfect condition, my hair was done right and my makeup was in perfect condition. Finally, for a change in my life, I was looking right.
 

Opening the door, I first noticed the group of guys in the corner staring like complete weirdoes. Turning my head forward I noticed all the students in the hallways, talking, mingling and hugging one another. Um, what locker was I? 209? I kept looking left to right finding the right number. Checking the time, I didn’t have a lot. Finally I saw it. “Um, I’ll see you guys later. I found my locker…” I turned my head and saw that my two friends were gone. So much help they were.
 

I walked up to my locker and placed my bag down on the floor. Another girl was standing there, trying to open her  locker but she couldn’t. Looking down at the piece of paper in my hand, I began turning to the correct numbers on my lock. My locker opened with ease. I noticed from the corner of my eye that the girl was staring at me as I opened my locker. Turning my head in her direction she kept staring at me.
 

“Um, may I help you?” I ask politely, not trying to sound like a smart- or anything.
 

“Yeah, how did you do that?” I look at my locker again. “The locker combination, I mean. It’s not like I forgot my combination or anything it’s just I forgot which way I go.”

“Oh, you just go right, left, rig--” I froze. My eyes stared at the person walking towards me, towards my locker. He put his bags down and he began opening his locker. “U-um, go left, right, left.”

“Um, you mean right,, left, right?”

“Yeah…right…”

I heard banging of the locker next to me and I turned to my right. And it was like déjà vu. The same face ever since summer camp and the same hairstyle.  I was staring at --

DING!!!!!
 

Everyone in the hallways screamed and began grabbing their books for class. I quickly grabbed my literature book and my binder and slammed my locker shut, walking quickly to class. I didn’t have time to compose the things that I just saw with my eyes. It couldn’t have been him. It just couldn’t. He said he was moving to the United States… This place wasn’t a good place to daydream again. This time I had to focus. I had to focus on my school work and not him. Because he was just a past memory. Just like Soojin said…
 

I walked inside my homeroom class and see that almost everyone has taken their seats. Looking around the room for a new seat, I saw two vacant ones in the back and I sat in one of those. As I walked towards the back, I felt everyone’s eyes burning into me. And I felt like crawling somewhere and not ever coming out. I stared at the teacher, who was a woman, as she wrote her name on the chalkboard. I set my things down on my desk and waited. She then turned around and stared at everyone.
 

She didn’t look like those type of teachers that wore big, thick glasses and wore their pants all the way up to their chests. She looked like an average woman, who was quite actually pretty. Her hair was down to her shoulders and she was very short. The winkles on her face told her age. She was about 45. “Good morning sophomores‘!” Her voice was demanding, like she expected a ‘good morning’ back. But she didn’t get an answer. “I said good morning!”
 

“Morning…” The class sounded dead, like they were still in bed or something. I cleared my throat softly and spoke up loudly.
 

“Good morning!” The teacher raised her head up slowly and stared at me. The rest of the class did also. My face was getting redder and redder as I knew it.
 

“Ah, what’s your name?” she asked me.
 

“Um, Lynn. Hwang Lynn.”
 

“Alright Ms. Hwang. Good morning…I‘m Mrs. Choi,” She grinned. Suddenly the door burst open and the same boy I saw ran in. He seemed out of breath and I heard several people laughing at him. The teacher turned around and stared at him. “Go take a seat, now. There’s one in the back next to Ms. Hwang.” I saw him look in my direction and he stared at me. The butterflies I had in my stomach were extreme, because it seemed like he knew who I was and he remembered my face. Just like I did with him.
 

But I knew exactly who he was when I saw him. Why? Because I know Youngbae’s face anywhere I go.