Center of Attention

A Change of Heart

Mark stood outside the door to his homeroom. The halls were empty, as his class had already begun. He had hoped that he would be able to get to class early or at least on time as to not draw too much attention to himself, but getting his schedule from the office took a bit longer than he thought it would. Taking a deep breath, he grabbed the doorknob and slowly opened the door. As soon as he walked in all chatter ceased and all eyes fell on him. He quickly walked over to the teacher, a short woman with a bit of a stern look to her face, and handed her his papers. She looked at the papers and back to Mark and gave him a smile that didn't quite meet her eyes.

"Class, it seems we have a new transfer student this year" she said. Immediately Mark could hear whispers throughout the classroom. A mixture of curious girls looking him up and down. As well as boys looking him up and down but for clearly a different reason. "This is Mark" The teacher carried on. Turning her attention back to Mark"Why don't you go ahead and introduce yourself to the class"she said. Mark immediately tensed up. He absolutely hated when teachers made you introduce yourself to a class."Do I have to? You kind of just did for me.." unable to hide the irritation in his voice. Her eyebrows went up so far that they disappeared into her bangs.

Mark knew that he was not setting a good impression, but he honestly didn't care. He could tell that she wasn't going to let him get out of it and was waiting for him to introduce himself. Mark sighed deeply and rolling his eyes a bit turned his body towards the class. "My name is Mark and I am from L.A" he didn't look at the students instead he kept his attention on the wall in the back."That's really all there is to say about me" he said turning back to the teacher. She pursed her lips and told him to take the empty seat in the back next to the window.

Mark quickly made his way over to his seat, ignoring the whispers and eyes that followed him. After he sat down the teacher started her lesson. Mark, kept his eyes down on his desk wishing he could just disappear. He hated when there was any attention on him. He knew that he would have to get used to it, since he was new and people would be curious about him for a while. He just hoped that it wouldn’t last too long and the other students would quickly move on to someone or something else. Mark looked up as the boy in front of him turned around to face him. He was an attractive boy, with shoulder length hair and delicate features. The boy smiled and handed him a paper that the teacher was passing out. Mark nodded his head in thanks and the boy turned around.

As Mark began to work on the worksheet that he was handed, he began to feel uncomfortable. He felt like someone was staring at him. It was such an intense feeling. He knew that there were bound to be eyes on him, but this felt different. He couldn’t take it anymore and decided to look up to see who was shamelessly staring at him. As he lifted his head, his eyes met two girls who blushed and quickly looked away as they realized that they had been caught staring. Mark mentally sighed and looked at the students around him, everyone had their eyes on their papers, but he still felt that someone was staring at him. When he gaze reached the desk near the backdoor he locked eyes with a boy, who looked familiar. Unlike the girls who were caught staring, this boy did not look away when he was caught staring. Mark felt as though he was being eaten alive by the boys intense gaze. He realized that he recognized the boy as the same one who was staring at him in the restaurant. What were the odds that they would attend the same school, Mark thought. As they stared at each other, the boy smiled at Mark and lifted one of his eyebrows slightly. Marks brows furrowed in confusion. 'What is he smiling at? And why is he always staring at me?'

“Mark, Jackson..Eyes on your papers please!” the teacher said. Snapping both boys out of the world that they had created. The boy Jackson, looked up at the teacher, scowled and focused on his paper. Mark shook his head to clear away the fuzzy feeling that he had, looked at the boy curiously…'What the hell is up with that boy?' Mark decided that it wasn’t important and went back to his work. Wishing for the day to be over with.

Jacksons POV

As Jackson made his way to lunch, he couldn’t help the overwhelming feelings that were taking over him. He couldn’t believe that the boy he had not been able to stop thinking about all night, was going to his school. 'What were the odds?' Grabbing his lunch, he quickly headed over to his table where the boys were waiting for him. He took his usual spot next to Jinyoung, smiling at his best friend and digging into his food.

“Did you guys get a look at the new kid, from America?” JB asked shoveling food into his mouth.

“No. I haven’t seen him yet” Jinyoung said “But all the girls have not been able to stop talking about him..He must be cute” he smiled.

“He’s beautiful” exclaimed Jackson, unable to hide the huge smile that came to his face when thinking of the boy..Mark. Jinyoung looked at him a little disappointed and scooted closer to him. “He was at the restaurant that we went to last night” Jackson continued. “I noticed him there, but I didn’t think he would be going to our school”

JB laughed “is that what you were staring at last night” shaking his head. Jackson nodded. Looking up he saw Mark walking over to an empty table. “Look there he is Jinyoung, isn’t he beautiful? He pointed. Jinyoung looked up..He looked at Mark for a few seconds and then turned his attention back to Jackson. “He is cute..I wouldn’t call him beautiful” he scoffed “Oh, come on Jinyoung” Jackson exclaimed. “His face is like, perfect!”

JB looked at Mark and then back at Jinyoung “ Sorry, Jinyoung..I have to go with Jackson on this one. The boy is beautiful” Jackson nodded his head enthusiastically. “Told you!” Jackson exclaimed

Jinyoung rolled his eyes. JB laughed “someone is getting jealous that he doesn’t have all of Jacksons attention”. “I am not jealous!” Jinyoung spat out, crossing his arms. Jackson took his attention off of Mark for the first time since sitting down with his friends and looked at Jinyoung. He knew that Jinyoung could be a bit sensitive when he didn’t have all of Jacksons attention. He draped an arm around Jinyoung and pulled him closer whispering in his ear “Don’t be jealous Jinyoung. No one can take your place”. Jinyoung laughed pushing Jackson away a little, blushing furiously.

Jackson smiled, returning his attention back to Mark. He noticed that the boy was no longer alone. Taemin had joined him at the table now. They seemed to exchange a few words and then continued eating their food in silence. Jackson thought he should maybe go introduce himself and invite Mark to sit at their table, but didn’t want to hurt Jinyoungs feelings, so decided against it. Besides there was plenty of time to introduce himself. He wanted to watch the boy a bit and get a sense of his personality. He could already tell that Mark was the quiet type. Which was the complete opposite from him. It was rare for a minute to go by without Jackson saying something. He knew that sometimes his personality could overwhelm people at times. But he was determined to befriend Mark. He didn’t know why, but he was really curious about him. Jackson returned his attention to his food, smiling in anticipation. He had a feeling this was going to be an interesting year.

 

A/N: Ahh, I am finally back with an update. So sorry for taking so long. This last class killed me with all the papers I had to write. And this new class I started seems like it is going to be the same. :/ Joy! But, I was finally able to get up Marks first day, well some of his first day. I hope you enjoy it. Mark and Jackson will meet officially in the next chapter, not just stare at each other LOL. Sometimes staring can be nice though. That is how it happened with me and my now ex-boyfriend. Some intense stares. Anyway, not sure when the next chapter will be up, but stick with me. Let me know what you think of the chapter.