That went great...

A Change of Heart

 

It had been four days since his parents dropped the bomb that they would be moving to South Korea. Mark was still in a state of denial. He didn't want to believe that it was true. He refused to believe it. It was only when he went downstairs to the kitchen a couple days later and noticed all the moving boxes; did the reality start to sink in. It was during this time that his mother informed him that they would be moving by the end of next week. This pissed Mark off even more. He thought he would have more time. He still had over a month left before he had to start school again. He thought he would have more time with Sky. Mark just gave his mother a cold stare and returned to his room. He barely leaves his room now. Mark can't remember the last time he has felt so down and depressed. It was probably before he had met Skylar. Before Sky; Mark would socialize as little as possible. He never felt comfortable around the kids at his schools. They were all loud and obnoxious and never understood why he was so quiet. It was only until he met Skylar that he was able to break out of his shell a little. Not completely. He doesn't think he would ever be able to change how he was, but she helped.

It had also been four days since he last saw Skylar. She had texted several times asking if he was okay and that she wanted to see him. He kept brushing her off. Telling her that he was fine, but that he was not feeling well and did not want to go out anywhere. She said she understood, but he knew that she was starting to get upset. He didn't blame her. When he first found out about the move he thought he would have more time with her, so he decided not to bring it up right away. But now that he knew he only had a little over a week left; he knew he should tell her. But he couldn't. He was too afraid. Afraid of hurting her. Afraid of her being mad at him for waiting so long. As Mark lay in his bed all he could think about was how he was going to break the news to her. She is going to hate me for waiting so long. Why am I being such an idiot? I need to tell her, it's only going to get worse the longer I wait. As Mark stared at the ceiling of his room he heard a knock at his door. 

"I am not in the mood to talk mom" he groaned. She was constantly trying to talk to him, but he was not having it. 

"It's Sky..."

Mark quickly sat up. , , ! He knew it was only a matter of time before she showed up. Frankly he was suprised that it took her this long. She was not known for her patience. Mark rubbed his face a few times, trying to calm his nerves. I guess, this is really going to happen now, whether I want it to or not.

"Mark! Are you going to open the door or what?" she said clearly upset

Mark slowly got up from his bed and walked over to the door. Looking at the doorknob for several seconds before finally grabbing it and opening the door. Skylar stood in front of him. Mark looked at her. She was wearing sweatpants and a band T, but still managed to look good. Mark looked at her face and could see that she was upset and hurt. She pushed past him, going to sit on his bed. Mark closed the door and joined her on the bed. He stayed quiet; not exactly sure how to start. He didn't need to, because she did. 

"So...you don't look sick"

"Oh..no, I am feeling a bit better..."

"Glad to hear it...why didn't you let me know?" she asked

"I..I was going to..I just started feeling better today" he said quietly

"oh...Mark, is something going on?"

"What do you mean" Ugh..he was such an idiot.. of course something is going on, why couldn't he just tell her. 

"Well, you have barely spoke to me these past few days...I know you said you were sick, but it seems like something more"

"No..its.."she cut him off

"Plus, there are moving boxes downstairs and your living room is pretty much packed up...you're moving?"

He couldn't avoid the topic anymore, and honestly she deserved better. He was being a jerk for not saying anything. 

He sighed.." Yea...I'm moving. I just found out a few days ago.. I didn't know how to tell you.. I am sorry for not mentioning it sooner"

"Babe, its no big deal.. I mean even if it is a bit of a drive.. you know, we can still see each other".

If only it were that simple, he thought to himself.

"Its more than a bit of a drive Sky" he said

She looked up at him. He took a deep breath, grabbing her hands and squeezing them softly.

"My parents are moving us out of the country...We are moving to South Korea"

Skylars blue eyes were wide. She didn't say anything for a few seconds.

"I don't understand, what the hell do you mean you are moving to South Korea? Who the hell just up and moves to South Korea?" he said raising her voice slightly

"I know it is hard to believe, trust me when I say this is not something I want or ever expected to happen...but my dad got the opportunity to run a hospital over there...and well, we have to go with him."

"They can't be serious? But...but your about to go into your senior year.. Why.. I just don't understand how this can be happening right now...What about us?"

"Sky, I know.. trust me.. I have said all of this to my parents, but they don't care. I have no choice in the matter.. I have to go...and about us...I mean. I still love you, I still want to be with you... we will just have to find a way to make it work" At this point tears started to fall from Skylars eyes, she couldn't hold them back anymore. She was never one to really cry, but she was so upset that she couldn't help it. Mark pulled her towards him and wrapped her in his arms; hugging her tight to his body. Tears began to build up in his eyes as well. He didn't want to leave her. She made him happy. 

"When are you leaving?" she sniffed

" The end of next week" he said softly

Hearing this she pulled back from him. 

"And when were you planning on telling me Mark? You have known about this for days and are just NOW telling me" she yelled

Mark just looked at her. He knew she would be upset knowing he kept it from her for so long. 

"I..I..I'm sorry Sky...I just didn't know how to tell you.. I was still processing it...I...you know how I get...I have to take my..." she cut him off. She got up from the bed.

"  Oh, don't give me that bull! I am so sick of this Mark...This wasn't something that only affects you.. I know you have this stupid routine of processing information that is hard for you.. I get that sometimes things are hard for you to express and that you like to be alone to think and everything.. BUT Mark.. This affects me too.. We are in this relationship together.. It can't always be about you and your needs...I try to understand and give you your space, but sometimes it isn't easy.. You should have told me right away!" she yelled he face red from how upset she was.

Mark could only stare at her. She had never gotten mad at him like this. Truthfully he expected her to be upset, but he didn't expect her to get like this. Frankly it was pissing him off. 

"I can't help the way I am Skylar!" he said coldly. 

"I am not like you! It is hard for me.. I sometimes need to be alone to process things. That is the way I am. You know this. You have never complained before. You have known that I am this way from day one. I am sorry, I didn't tell you right away, but I had to deal with it on my own first. You either accept me the way I am or you don't!" he yelled back. 

They both just stared at each other. Both were hurt. Angry. Sad. Frustrated. And confused about their future. 

Skylar was the first to move.. She walked towards the door grabbing the handle..Just as she was about to turn it; she stopped and looked at Mark. Tears were again falling down her cheeks..

"Right now I can't accept it...you should have told me right away Mark. You wasted the little bit of time that we have left..." she said

"Well, you leaving right now is wasting even more of the little bit of time we have" he said 

"You're right...but I am too upset to even look at you right now...it's my turn to ignore you" and with that she left slamming th door shut.

Mark stared at the door for a few minutes before groaning in frustration and laying back down on his bed. 

Well that went great...

 

A/N: So 3rd chapter done. I was able to update sooner than I thought. I hope you enjoy the new chapter. As you can see.. things did not go to well for Mark. He is having a very rough time. Next chapter will be the last one in LA and then on to S.Korea. Yay! :) I will try to update sometime next week.