Waking Up

Through The Years With You

It had been a few weeks since the move in and their house finally seemed like a home. The walls in their bedroom was painted into a baby blue color (courtesy of Taeyeon), the walls of their bathroom was painted a light green, while the walls in the living room and kitchen remained white. There were now wall decorations placed around, ranging from photos to paintings and everything in between.

Taeyeon groggily opened her eyes as she finally woke up from her deep slumber. She looked around the now brightened room and let out a yawn as she stretched her limbs out carefully in order to not wake up the girl that was currently spooning her, though she knew that no matter what she did, the taller girl sleeping peacefully beside her was very difficult to wake up. She looked at the wooden night stand that was directly next to their bed and grabbed the photo album that was lying on top. She adjusted her position a little bit, still lying on her side. She placed her left hand on the arm wrapped around her waist as she used the other hand to flip open the album to where they had last left off. She smiled as she looked at the pictures her parents took after they had met before skimming the other photos in the album until she found something that caught her eyes. 

"What are you doing?" Sooyeon suddenly whispered, her voice husky from just having woken up.

"Sorry, did I wake you?" Taeyeon replied, looking over her shoulder to see that her girlfriend still had her eyes closed. The brown haired girl then yawned, shaking her head as she rubbed her eyes with her fists to fight away her sleepiness. "I'm looking at our photos," the elder girl said after a few minutes, replying to what the other had asked earlier.

Sooyeon hummed, "Find anything that caught you eye?"

"Yea, look at this," she replied as she grabbed the album in her hands and shifted her position so she was now lying on her back. She brought the book up closer to their faces as Sooyeon, who was still on her side, tightened her hold on the shorter girl.

Sooyeon furrowed her eyebrows when she saw the photo Taeyeon was talking about. It was a picture of her sleeping in bed with Taeyeon jumping mid-air.

"I have never seen this picture before in my entire life," the brown haired girl stated in surprise. Her mother having never said anything about taking a picture of the both of them at that moment.

"Yea, same here. I was quite surprised when I saw this, I don't even remember seeing her in your room."

Sooyeon let out a fond smile as she looked at the picture, memories of the younger them flood into her mind. "Do you remember why you were trying to wake me up in that picture?" She asked, burying her face in the crook of Taeyeon's neck, inhaling her scent.

Taeyeon squirmed feeling the breath on her neck, though she didn't make an effort to move away. She answered after shifting slightly, "I can't pinpoint exactly why I was trying to wake you up. I have so many memories of just trying to get you out of bed and ready for school so we wouldn't be late."

The brown haired girl chuckled slightly, recalling the times where the other girl tried various techniques to try and get her away from her precious bed, including bribing her with treats and threatening her with kisses. "Well, you said you wanted to go out and show we something..."

"I did?" Taeyeon asked with a confused face, trying to recall this particular moment. After a while, it suddenly came to her. "Oh!" she clapped her hands in excitement, "It was the day we found Ginger, wasn't it?"

Sooyeon grinned, "Bingo."

 

 

---------------

 

 

The young seven year old slept soundly, her breath steady. The only noise inside the bedroom was the girl's light snores. Suddenly, the door burst wide open, creating a huge booming sound though not deterring the girl in the bed to wake up. There could be an earthquake and the girl would still probably sleep through it.

"JUNG SOOYEON!" A raven haired girl yelled at the top of her lungs, not caring the neighbors hear her cries as she climbed up on top of the bed. The younger girl did not respond making Taeyeon pout though she knew that the brown haired girl is difficult to wake up. "Sooyeon!" She called again, moving so that she was now lying on top of the younger girl, her hands on the sleeping girl's shoulders. She earned a groan. Seeing as her friend was now slightly conscious, she began repeatedly calling out her name forcing the younger girl to open her eyes.

"What?" She asked groggily, a hint of annoyance present in her tone as she is forced to seperate from her one true love -- sleep.

"Let's go outside!" Taeyeon shouted next to her ear causing Sooyeon to cringe away in pain. She moved a hand up to cover her ear that was attacked by the older girl.

"You don't have to yell, it's still early in the morning..."

"But it's already 10 am! And we slept at like 9 pm last night! That's like 12 hours of sleep." Hearing no response from the younger girl, she looked down and found the brown haired girl falling back asleep. Having no other choice, Taeyeon rolled off the sleeping girl before standing up and starting to jump on the bed. "SOOYEON WAKE UP!"

Unknown to the two girls,  Sooyeon's mother stood by the door that was slightly ajar, a fond smile on her lips and a camera in her hands. She quietly pushed the door open wider before snapping a quick photo. Seemingly satisfied with the photo she took, she headed downstairs to prepare breakfast.

"Stop jumping!" The brown haired girl hissed.

"Only if you get up and go outside with me."

Sooyeon groaned again.

"Just get up."

"Fine, I'm up," Sooyeon said defeated as she slowly sat upright, rubbing her eyes to remove the sleepiness. Seeing as the girl wasn't going to fall asleep again, Taeyeon stopped jumping and sat back down on the bed. "Why do you even want to go outside?"

"Why don't you want to go outside?" The raven haired girl countered. "Now, hurry and get dressed! I have something I want to show you."

Sooyeon's eyes finally focus on the girl and found that she was already dressed in dark blue jeans and a denim jacket that covered her plain yellow shirt. Despite still being annoyed at being woken up, Sooyeon followed the slightly older girl's instructions, replacing her pajamas with a pair of baggy jeans and a t-shirt with a cartoon character printed on the front. Once she was fully dressed, the raven haired girl grabbed her hand and dragged her out of the room and down the stairs.

But before Taeyeon could pull her out the front door, Sooyeon's mother called out to the girls, "You two need to eat before leaving."

Taeyeon pouted, trailing after Sooyeon who followed her mother to the kitchen. The brown haired girl silently thanked her mother for interupting as she was starving and didn't want to leave the house without eating.

The two ate as quickly as they could (more like Taeyeon shoveling down her food into at the speed of light while Sooyeon ate with moderate speed). After they were finished eating, Taeyeon immediately grabbed the brown haired girl's hand, dragging her back to the front door of the house but not forgetting to thank the girl's mother for the meal. Sooyeon barely had any time to put on her shoes before she was pulled out of the house and she wondered how Taeyeon was able to slip on her own shoes while dragging her out the door.

"So, where are we going?" The slightly younger girl asks after a few moments of silence as she followed the other girl to who knows where. "You still haven't told me."

She looks down at their hands that were still linked together, a familiar warm feeling spreading throughout her body. She wasn't sure when this feeling started nor does she know why, but all Sooyeon knew was that she liked the feeling of Taeyeon's hands against hers.

"It's a secret!" Taeyeon responded with an excited tone and a grin on her face, making Sooyeon snap her head up to look at the older girl and not their hands. She caught a glimpse of the shorter girl's dimples.

"Why don't you just tell me where we're heading to?"

"Because it's a secret."

"Why is it a secret?"

"Because it is."

Sooyeon watched as they passed the playground the frequently go to, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion as she figured that they wouldn't be stopping by the area -- it was always the place Taeyeon would want to go to whenever she wanted to go outside.

Knowing that the raven haired girl wouldn't answer her questions on the location they were heading to, Sooyeon allows herself to indulge in her thoughts which she knew was happening quite frequently and she can't help but look at the girl who caused it. She wanted to figure out why her heart was fluttering and why it only happened when the raven girl was around. She wasn't dying was she? She furrowed her eyebrows once more, making a mental note to ask her mother about this when she returns.

After a while, Taeyeon finally stopped walking and stared at the familiar trail in front of her with a smile. Sooyeon, who was busy being lost in her thoughts bumped into Taeyeon causing her to become aware of her surroundings once more.

"We're here?" She asks as she looked around. They were standing in front of a rocky trail that leads deep into the forest.

Taeyeon shook her head, "Almost. We have to go through this trail to get there though."

"It looks scary," the brown haired girl says as she looked at the tall pine trees surrounding them. She felt like an ant inside a giant's world.

"It's not, trust me."

"How many times have you been here?"

"Just once."

Sooyeon stared at her as if she had grew two heads. "And you expect me to trust you?"

"Hey, once is enough. Now, let's go!" Taeyeon said, pulling the girl towards the trail.

"Are you sure we won't get lost?" She felt uneasy walking through the path despite being there in broad daylight. It didn't help that the trees covered most of the sunlight resulting in the area to be shadowy nor did it help that it was very quiet save for the sounds of gravel crunching beneath their feet. A sudden thought about how a killer clown might appear and kidnap her and Taeyeon popped into her mind. She shook her head trying to get rid of the image. Maybe she shouldn't have secretly watched that horror movie her parents warned her not to watch two days ago.

"We won't get lost, I know where we're going... I think?" The raven haired girl said the last part quietly to make sure the other girl doesn't panic. Unfortunately, Sooyeon heard her.

"Yah, Kim Taeyeon! Did you just say 'I think?'!"

Taeyeon turned around and gave her a sheepish smile which did not calm down the taller girl and earned her a glare.

"We'll be fine, I swear!"

Sooyeon squinted her eyes as Taeyeon gave her her dimpled smile. They stared at each other for a while and Sooyeon knew she lost when she felt the butterflies going wild in her stomach. She never really stood a chance against the older girl's dimples even if she's seen it all her life.

Sooyeon shook her head, "Fine, but if we end up getting lost, I'm blaming you."

They continued walking along for a while before Taeyeon paused and looked around. She spotted the two giant pine trees on either side of the path along with the two red flowers that were in front of the trees. Nodding to herself, Taeyeon made a right turn, heading off the marked path causing Sooyeon to pull her back with an uncertain look on her face. The brown haired girl was not excited about veering off the trail.

"This is where the place I want to show you is," Taeyeon explained, hoping to convince the girl that they wouldn't die. "You trust me, right?" When she didn't receive an answer she continued, "You know I'll protect you, Sooyeon. Don't be afraid, I'll be here right by your side."

Sooyeon nodded, tightening her grip on Taeyeon's hand as if to say 'Ok, I trust you'. Giving her a soothing smile, Taeyeon pulled her along deeper into the forest.

When they finally reached the desired destination, Sooyeon's eyes widened in surprise. "Woah," she exclaimed as she looked at the beautiful waterfall in front of her. Her eyes trailed downwards and to the clear blue lake beneath the waterfall. She swears this is the most beautiful thing she's seen in her ten years of living.

"Awesome, right?" Taeyeon asks with a grin. "Remember I told you that I went hiking with my dad?" Sooyeon nodded. "Well, I actually ended up getting lost because I strayed off the path..."

Sooyeon gave her a glare, not happy about her friend getting lost. Who else would share an entire pint of ice cream with her?

The raven haired girl scratched behind her neck, sheepish. "But he found me and I'm here now!" She quickly expplained wanting to get rid of the frown the younger girl was now sporting. She cleared and continued, "Anyway, when I wandered off, I happened to find this place and I just had to show you it."

"I'm actually very surprised that you remembered where this was. It's beautiful, Tae. Thanks for showing me this," Sooyeon says as her frown now turned into a genuine smile. She felt special knowing that she was the first person Taeyeon thought of to show this place to.

"I knew you'd love it," Taeyeon replied, mirroring the smile the brown haired girl has.

They stayed in silence for a while enjoying the view before them until a quiet whimper was heard in the distance. Sooyeon quickly snapped her head in the direction of the sound, uneasiness growing. She feared that there would be a huge wolf or bear that would come at any moment and eat them alive.

"Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?" Taeyeon asks confused as she turns to look at the taller girl.

Before Sooyeon could open to speak, another whimpering sound appeared. "It's coming from behind us," she said quietly. 

"Should we go check it out?"

"Do you want to die?! What if it's a wolf?"

"There are no wolves here."

"How do you know?"

"Because I didn't see any when I went hiking."

"That doesn't make any sense."

"Yes, it does."

Before they could continue arguing, the bush behind them rustled and they both turned around to look. The rustling kept going before a small puppy with black fur emerged from s aid bush, its tail instantly wagging upon seeing the two girls.

"Omo! It's a puppy!" Sooyeon exclaimed as she quickly rushed towards the small creature, squatting down so she could pet it. The puppy bounced happily, liking the girls hand. Sooyeon turned to look at her companion who hadn't moved from her spot. "What's wrong? Are you scared?"

Taeyeon nodded slowly as she kept her eyes trained on the small, fluffy creature.

"You shouldn't be! What happened to the Taeyeon who wanted to check out where the whimpering sounds were coming from?"

"I didn't think it would actually be an animal!"

"It won't hurt you. It's completely harmless!"

"Yes, it can hurt me. It can bite me and I'll die."

"You won't die from a small bite."

"I will die from the pain."

Sooyeon rolled her eyes, before a smile formed on her lips. She gave a glance at the puppy that was looking at her with its big brown eyes and head that was tilted slightly to the left. The brown haired girl bit her lips before returning her attention to Taeyeon.

"No way," the older girl said immediately after seeing the puppy eyes Sooyeon is currently giving her.

"But it's so cute and we can't leave it out here! What if it gets hurt?"

"No."

"Please."

"No."

"Why not?"

"Why can't you keep it in your house?"

"Because my sister is allergic."

"No!"

"Why not?" Sooyeon repeated, whining.

"Because I'm afraid of dogs."

"But it's techinically not a dog yet. It's a puppy."

"Same thing."

"Please, I'll come over to your house everyday and feed it and walk it."

"No! It's gonna bite me."

"It won't! I'll protect you," Sooyeon said, mimicking Taeyeon's words earlier. She gave a determined look to the shorter girl. "I'll protect you," she repeated, her voice firm.

Taeyeon sighed, giving up. She felt her heart slightly flutter at the thought of Sooyeon protecting her and she furrowed her eyebrows slightly at the new feeling. She shook her head, focusing on the task at hand and not on the way her heart was beating faster. "Fine..." she said, knowing she could never win against Sooyeon's puppy eyes.

"Yay!"

"But, we still need to ask my parents."

"That's fine."

The raven haired girl sighed again knowing that if the younger girl was determined about something, she will not stop until she got what she wanted.

The two girls decided to head back home with the small, black furred puppy resting snuggly in Sooyeon's arms.

 

 

---------------

 

 

"I still cannot believe my parents actually allowed us to keep Ginger," Taeyeon said amusingly, her head resting against Sooyeon's chest.

"Honestly, me neither," the brown haired girl chuckled as she ran her fingers through the older girl's hair repeatedly. "I expected to beg for them to keep it but they just said 'yes' without hesitating."

"They probably knew they couldn't win against you."

"Probably."

Just then, a loud grumbling noise interrupted the silence and the two girls burst into laughter.

"Someone's hungry," Sooyeon said as she poked Taeyeon's belly causing the girl to squirm away from the fingers.

"I'll go make us breakfast," the raven haired girl said, rising up from the bed only to be pulled back down.

"You forgot something."

And just before Taeyeon could answer, Sooyeon's lips were against hers, molding perfectly.

"Good morning, Taengoo," she said after pulling away, a goofy smile on her face.

Taeyeon let out a giggle a s she playfully pushed the other girl away, "Good morning to you too, Sooyeon." She gave her one last kiss before leaving the bed, off to make breakfast.

 

 


A/N: Hello! And here is Chapter 2! I honestly did not expect for this chapter to be as long as it is but hey, when inspiration strikes I guess. I actually wrote this instead of working on an essay that's due in a few hours lol (silenty crying in the background). Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and thank you to those who subscribed and upvoted this story, it really means a lot to me ^^ Please do leave a comment, I enjoy reading those too! Sorry in advance if there are any mistakes on here.

To all my subcribers, silent readers, and anyone else supporting this story, thank you so much! Thank you to those who upvoted and commented as well!

Wolfey signing out *peace*