Sound Guidance

Blood of the Towers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Of course it hadn't been that easy: Taekwoon was not at that specific Tower. As the two women had ridden up to the courtyard of the magnificent structure, Jihyo had told Sooyoung to watch what she said and that she would take care of it. Which she did, a Regal bearing coming over her as she ordered that they be taken to the Head of the Tower. And once there, standing in front of nine Magicians with mask-like expressions, Sooyoung felt more intimidated than she ever had in her life. 

To her surprise, Jihyo did not explain their situation as she demanded a portal to be made to take them to the Bilar Tower. Instead the older woman twisted the truth and said that Junho had stolen something from her, and that Sooyoung was helping her to retrieve it. If Sooyoung hadn't been partner in crime to Jaebum for so many years, she probably wouldn't have been able to keep the surprise from her face. 

In the end, the council of Nine agreed to her demands, leading Sooyoung to believe that Jihyo truly was more than she had let on. As they were led from the council room to 'rest' as the portal was created, Sooyoung leaned close to the shorter woman. "I would appreciate some explanations," she murmured in her ear.

Jihyo barely turned her head as she answered, just as quietly. "You're not entitled to those: be grateful I'm helping you." Louder, she said, "Sooyoung, do you have anything appropriate to wear?"

She was about to say that what she was wearing was appropriate, but one look down at herself stopped her tongue. The light tan shirt had several spots of dirt and stain from the two days wear, and her brown split skirt was rumpled and dirty, as well. She flushed as she thought of what her grandmother would say if she had caught her looking like this. "I..." Oh, damn, her silk dress that she had been measured for and she had paid for! She would never have it, now. She heaved a sigh and shook her head. "Nothing that I could wear such as your clothing," she admitted, her mind going through the dresses she had in her pack. They were well-made, but of sturdy material and a plain design that was not hardly as stylish as Jihyo's own black dress.

And yet the woman laughed, looking down at her slender-cut frock as if it were nothing. "This is just a traveling gown, dear. When we arrive at the Bilar Tower, we're going to have to look respectable. You can't fit my clothing," she said offhandedly, though Sooyoung flushed at the unintentional insult, "But I think I know someone here who is about your size."

She led the way through hallways of stone, decorated with rich woven rugs and hung with lights that glowed with a light no candle could make. When Jihyo noticed that Sooyoung wasn't surprised by those, she mumbled something to herself and continued on. It was to a woman named Yuri's rooms that she led, and when the afore named lady opened the door, Jihyo had barely finished greeting her before she asked for two gowns. It seemed Yuri was used to the abrupt shorter woman, though, because she complied with an easy smile and a cheery countenance. When they left the chamber, Sooyoung carried a large bag over her shoulder that held two beautiful dresses which the Magician had urged her to keep.

Jihyo led the way back to the council chamber, where they were met with a servant who directed them to a ground floor room. Upon entering the massive round chamber, the very first thing Sooyoung saw was her horses, saddled and with their packs attached, standing next to Jihyo's mount as well. "Are we-" she began, but was cut off with a raised finger and sharp look from the older woman.

It was then that Sooyoung noticed the council of Nine standing in the center of the large room, toes along a line that created a large circle on the floor. They faced inward, their hands held out before them: as Jihyo took her horse and led the way toward them, Sooyoung realized that she could hear the council chanting under their breath. In perfect unison, like a swarm of bees they hummed, the sound making goosebumps appear on Sooyoung flesh. She had witnessed Taekwoon casting, many times actually, but to see and feel nine magicians in unison was a bit terrifying. She swallowed her fear and followed Jihyo, focusing on her ultimate goal. 

But when the bright light sprang up in the circle between the council members, Sooyoung's horses shied, and she couldn't help but feel the same urge to flee. It was a blinding light that soon burned off to settle into a slow pulsing glow, and then it twisted on itself to form a circular gateway. "The portal," she gasped in understanding. Jihyo didnt answer, though, and merely led her horse through the glowing circle. The slender Magician disappeared as she entered the magical structure, the surface ripplin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter