The Telsan Market

Blood of the Towers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~~~STOP! ~~~ Everyone who has commented prolifically on my Calceryn world stories got an invite to this. But if you're reading this after reading something other than Cursed, you're going to want to read Cursed first. This gives major major spoilers otherwise! The link for Cursed is in the foreword, or you can simply click the Calceryn tag to find it.

 

 

The scent of cinnamon wafted through the busy market street, carried on the same breeze that grabbed the ends of Sooyoung's hair and twisted it into curls. She had tied it back with a ribbon when riding, but had since let the long black locks free to tumble about her shoulders. Her dark brown dress, with the split skirts that allowed her to comfortably ride astride, drew curious looks from the locals. Surely they wondered where she was from and why she had traveled to the famed markets of Telsan, but she knew they wouldn't believe her if she told them.

She could hardly believe it, really. A smile formed on her lips as she thought back over the last several months. She and her husband, Taekwoon, had set off from their home on the coast of Arisan, on a quest to see the world. Sooyoung felt a little bit like they were walking in his mother's footsetps, but it wasn't as if that were a bad thing: the woman had been amazing. As long as she could live up to the example set by both Hani and Sooyoung's own grandmother Hyerin, she would feel that she had led a full life.

That full life would include riding across the huge country of Arisan, just the two of them, dodgning danger and hearing tales as they went. They had debated heading south toward the capital but had been deterred by the rumors of political unrest. And so it was that they set off across the sea, trading several of Hani's gemstones for the passage on sa shipe for them and their horses. They had only reached Telsan two weeks ago, and though Taekwoon wanted to go north into Alyri - his mother had collected tiny glass figurines from that country, and he had taken up the interest - Sooyoung had overridden him.

The chance to see the Telsan market in the late summer, that was a dream come true! Brightly colored silks, the finest in the world, hung from the walls of vendors shops: meats and fruits alike sizzled on strange outdoor cooktops, creating the tempting scents: jewelry glittered on the tables of merchants and the fingers and necks of the patrons. Sooyoung felt plain amongst all the well-dressed Telsani, but she didn't mind that so much. It only meant that she was able to move more freely.

Or maybe it was the man trailing ever so slightly behind her, close enough that she could turn her head and place a kiss on that unsmiling cheek. Which she did, bringing the faintest hint of a smile to his face. "You look angry," she whispered to him, a teasing lilt in her voice. 

Taekwon shook his head at that, a smile that looked more like a grimace coming across his lips. "It's so... crowded," he replied, his voice as soft as ever. It was so at odds with that fierce face, with the sharp bone structure and tilted, dark eyes that seemed to glare at everything. He was catching eyes as well, but it was because he wore a dark green knit shirt even though it was warm outside. It was because, though the curse had been lifted, he still caught ills easily and he was fighting one off at the moment.

Sooyoung did have to agree with him, though. On their travel through Arisan, they hadn't encountered any big cities: those were all to the south of their native country. The Telsan market had more people crowded into one space than Sooyoung had ever seen before in her life, and the shouts and haggling of the merchants and their customers was almost overwhelming. And it must be so, for one as gentle as her husband.

She slowed and reached out to him, tucking her arm into his and hugging him close. "We won't be much longer," she promised. "I just really want to try on a silk dress!"

HIs mother had owned silk dresses, she knew, but they were too full of memories that she felt as if she were treading on Hani's memory to wear them. And yet, the bright colors and soft, sleek material was something she definitely wanted to experience. And if that meant buying a dress she would only ever wear when she was feeling like a lady, so be it.

Taekwoon gave a quiet laugh, and she wiped the dreamy smile off of her face. She hadn't realized that she had been looking like some daydream

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter