That Warm November Night

SongFic Library

It wasn't raining yet, but the threat of rainfall was apparent on this misty night. For a November night, it was pretty warm.

"It's the middle of November and I'm outside in shorts and a t-shirt." Natalie said aloud before taking a sip of her beer. She was lent over the balcony of her apartment's roof. Her thoughts wandered here and there as she mindlessly watched the cars below speed by. It had been a long week, and it was only Wednesday.

"Well ya know, global warming. We're all gonna melt one day." Sungbin chimed in jokingly. He was sat behind her on an abandoned torn up futon, probably left up there by some 30 something year old, trying to get his life together.

His joke was met with nothing but silence as she continued to peer at the city beneath her. He frowned a bit but it didn't hurt his ego too much. He knew she was going through a lot these days. Her parents had just divorced, her job was putting extra stress on her, and on top of all of that, her boyfriend was cheating on her. She'd known about his infidelity for some time now, yet for almost three years she stayed with him. She had strong feelings for him at the beginning of their relationship, and though he'd broken her trust countless number of times, she still wanted to make it work. She didn't want to end up like her mother; alone and hating the man that was her first love.

Sungbin slowly lifted himself from the futon, expanding his long arms as he stretched, and made his way over to Natalie.

He placed his arms on the balcony and watched her closely. "Every time I'm with you, you look so sad."

"People get sad sometimes. It's human nature." She shrugged, still not looking at him.

"True, but sadness is just suppose to be an emotion...not your entire personality."

She said nothing, and took another swig of her beer.

He scoffed, looking at the palms of his hands. "He's probably with that chick right now. He was supposed to be the one to help you move in today, not me. Instead he's off doing God knows what."

"Sorry to inconvenience you..."

His eyes widened as he turned to look at her. "Natalie, I didn't mean it like that. Just tha-"

She laughed lightly, finally looking at him. "I know what you meant. I appreciate you always being there for me...when he's not."

He relaxed completely, looking down at her. This was the first time all night that she had spared him a glance. She didn't want him to see the hurt in her eyes, the hurt that he'd seen in her a hundred times before. She was the kindness person he'd ever met, and the fact that all this was happening to her pissed him off. She deserved better. He wanted to give her something better.

Before either of them knew it, the space between them had disappeared. His hands were gently placed on both sides of her face, as he gazed into those eyes of hers. It was like staring into the universe, beautiful and mysterious, yet far away.

As they stood there, their faces mere inches away from each other, she wanted nothing more than to feel his lips against hers. It had been a long time since she's felt affection and she desperately needed it. She was so twisted in the web of her desire for him, she'd completly forgotten about all her troubles. As he leaned in closer, filling the gap between them entirely, her apprehension blew away with the warm breeze.

Through the kiss, he could taste her sadness, her insecurities, her longing. With one hand, he caressed the back of her head, deepening the kiss. Her arms wrapped around his waist, indicating that she had no intention of letting him go anytime soon. Turning her head ever so slightly, she fell even deeper into his embrace. In the back of her head, that was a voice screaming at her to stop. Begging her to turn away. If her boyfriend found out about this then he'd loose his .

Hesitantly, she pulled away, looking down at his lips then quikly darting her eyes back up at his. Her heart was pounding harder than it had in years. A mixture of excitment and nervousness built up in her stomach. She should've let go of him and turned away at that moment, but she just had to see his face, to feel alive. She was so caught up in the moment, and couldn't bear to let him go, she threw caution to the wind and started listening to her lonely heart.

Once more, she softly pressed her lips to his and feelings surfaced that she'd suppressed for such a long time. This time the kiss was more needy. Both of them tightly gripping on to each other as their tongue's were tangled in a sloppy dance. They were both so attached to one another that they hadn't even noticed that it had started raining. It wasn't until the rainfall became heavier that they detached themselves, blinking the water drops out of their eyelashes.

"I love you, you know that right?" He said matter-of-factly.

She smiled sadly. "I know Sungbin." Her voice barely a whisper.

"You're not leaving him are you?"

She sighed, looking down at her feet. "I can't just abandon him. I don't like quiting."

"How many times are you gonna let him walk all over you? He doesn't deserve you. He doesn't have the right to do this to you. The next time I see him I should kick his ."

She placed a hand on his chest to try and calm him. "He's your hyung so that wouldn't be very polite."

"I could kick his then bow when I'm done..."

She let out a genuine laugh that time, crinkling up her nose as she smiled. "That's better."

He took one of her hands in his, playing with the ring on her pinky finger that he had given her on her 19th birthday. A present that her boyfriend wasn't too happy about. Sungbin remembers her telling him that her boyfriend had started a huge fight all because of that tiny ring. Something about it being way too personal of a gift for it to be innocent. He was convinced that Natalie was seeing Sungbin behind his back and he had been wrong...up until now.

"What are you afraid of?" He questioned.

"He was the first person I've ever been with. The man first man I'd given my heart to. I don't want to just throw that away. I don't want to be like my mother."

He sighed, still playing with her finger. "I know your parents' divorce was hard for you, it's probably always going to be hard for you. But everything happens for a reason. Your mother decided to leave because your father was doing the same your 'man' is doing to you. She had enough courage to leave. You shouldn't be afraid to be like her."

He could tell that he'd struck a chord as he watched her shake her head, tears starting to drip down her cheeks.

"You're right. I know you're right, but I-I can't. Maybe I'm stupid or too weak, but I can't. Everything that we've ever had, all those memories would've been for nothing. That's the most heartbreaking part, knowing everything I did to keep us in love would be for nothing. My love would be for nothing." Her voice became hushed as her tears continued to fall.

She wasn't stupid or weak, the fact that some jerk who didn't deserve to even look at her was making her feel this way infuriated him. He wanted to tell her all this but he knew he shouldn't push her anymore. No matter how strong a person is, everyone has their breaking point, and she was close to reaching hers. One day she'd realize her worth and kick him to the curb, but today wasn't that day. Right now she was fragile and just needed someone to be there for her.

He lightly tugged her into a gentle hug, resting one of his hands on the back of her head. "Please stop crying. I've never been good in situations where girls start crying." He joked.

She tried to conjure up a laugh, but when she opened , it just came out as a sob.

He then began to run his fingers through her damp hair. "You know you'll never be alone right? You can call me anytime, even when I'm with my boys. I'll answer. You don't even have to call, just show up at my door and I'll let you in. With that Chanel perfume you wear, I'll probably smell you before you even knock."

"Is it that strong?" She mumbled, her face buried in his chest.

He nodded, pressing his lips together. "Yep. But it's ok, I like it."

She sniffed. "Thanks oppa... for everything."

"No problem. Whenever you feel the need, just envision us like this, on this roof. Me caressing you...and know that I love you and will always be around." He whispered that last part.

And so he was there for her, like he'd been countless times before. Like he would always be.