[원우] When the sun sets and darkness comes

마주하는 이 순간, Highlight

Wonwoo stirs away from the sunlight that hits his face, almost knocking over his head on his bed stand. Normally, he would wake up earlier than this or the sun catches up on him having a 46-hour streak of not sleeping a wink, but seeing as he managed to even lie under the covers, he was defeated. He feels a light pressure on his forehead and he reaches up to feel paper on it.

There's a post-it note.

"Wonwon, Hoseok hyung dropped by this morning to give us cheesecake his hyung had made! I already ate my portion so the rest is all yours~ don't forget to hydrate! Love you!" - your most favorite person in the world <( ̄︶ ̄)> " 

Wonwoo stares at it blankly, thinking that his most favorite person in the world is David Levithan (bless that man), but the only person who would dare press a post-it note on Wonwoo's forehead would be Kwon Soonyoung.

"If my portion is just one slice, I'll slice him in half." He drags himself out of bed, not caring if he's only wearing boxers that he's pretty sure was Soonyoung's (it has duck prints), and finds a green box on the small kitchen table. A cheesecake is enticing right now if he's being honest, even if he's going to be late for his class because he's tired enough to sleep through all his alarms. (Soonyoung didn't wake him up, curse him.) Wonwoo flips the lid open, anticipating at least half of a cheesecake is there, but instead he's met with an empty circular tin foil and a stained fork. If looks could kill, he's already melted the whole box. (A tiny part of his brain wished that was his ability so he can obliterate all his enemies with a glance. Enemies, meaning his contemporary literature professor who gave him low grades on essays, the suns (the literal sun and Soonyoung) and mayonaise.) Damn Soonyoung and his lying little self. "This motherer."

Wonwoo dashes back to his room to get his phone and plops on the bed, a scowl forming on his face because how dare he?

++

Chat: sunyoung and wonmoon

[101096] and [shadowoo]

 

[08:22]

 

shadowoo change the chat name to soonyoung is a mega

 

shadowoo: you're dead to me

101096: BITCJ THE I WAS PROUD OF TAHT CHAT NAME

 

101096 changed the chat name to sunyoung and wonmoon

 

101096: IS THIS ABT THE CAKE LOL SORRY IT WAS SO GOOD I HAD TO EAT IT

shadowoo: I hate you I hope you sprain your ankle and break your leg

101096: aw wonnie dont be like that :(((

shadowoo: don't "aw wonnie dont be like that :(((" me. I'm pissed off and hungry rn. Why didn't you wake me up too?

101096: theres cereal in the shelf???? eh didnt feel like it lel

shadowoo: you're dead to me pt2

shadowoo: but I want cheesecake. Dude why did you have to leave a note saying you saved me a portion if there's nothing at all?

shadowoo: Kwon Soonyoung I swear I will break your spaghetti legs when you come home if you don't answer me.

101096: holy shiet this is like ur nicest threat yet where did my wonmoon go? who u

shadowoo: I will stop paying half the rent.

101096: NO PLS

101096: okok theres lftover cake in the smol compartment of the fridge geez i hid it im sorry :(( pls luv me agn wonu :(((

shadowoo: I'll think about it.

++

After finding a tupperware with two slices of cheesecake inside, Wonwoo forgives Soonyoung (even though it's just two slices, he can't complain anymore). He sits on the couch to eat it, completely ignoring the clock on the wall. His phone beeps again, another message from Soonyoung.

++

[08:39]

 

101096: the cheesecake is good i swear!!!! i wanna hug jin hyungnim for it ⊂( ̄▽ ̄)⊃

shadowoo: Jin hyungnim? As in the Seokjin hyungnim who was screaming bloody murder when Hoseok hyung went second place in track?

101096: yep!! hey u better go shower now, ull be late lmaoo

shadowoo: am I even going to make it in time?

101096: if u run fast enough but if not ure a few mins late

shadowoo: ok see you later at lunch!

101096: ♡

++

[12:18]

 

101096: hey wonu!!!!!!

shadowoo: no thanks

101096: LET ME FINISH

shadowoo: I thought we're meeting up for lunch but then I found out from Nayoung-noona you weren't even in your classes. Where are you?

101096: can u promise me not to stay out late tonite? just go home after ur class? or just skip it?

101096: im in practice rn,, sorry wonnie

101096: ull get a 98 on the lit exam btw

shadowoo: it's fine

shadowoo: WAIT REALLY

101096: have i ever lied abt ur exam results?

shadowoo: there was ONE time with my philo final

101096: ...ok i admit that was funny to see u so worked up lol

shadowoo: pfft

shadowoo: I can't skip writing workshop but I'll make sure to get home after dinner. Is there something wrong?

101096: ayt :> no not rly,, just want my moon safe

101096: i wont be home tonite, stayin on my future bf's place woop!!

shadowoo: alright but

shadowoo: you traitor I thoUGHT ITS BROS BEFORE FUTURE VISION HOES

101096: HES THE GUY IM WAITIFN YESRS FOR WOWNOO ITS JIHOONIE

101096: HE ALRAEDY APPEARED EALRIER AND HE LOOKED SHOOK AF WHEN HE SAW ME

101096: HOONIE IS CUTER IRL HES WEARIGNA BABY BLU SWEATER W HIS PASTEL HARI HES SO SOFT IM SO IN LOVEHFEOI

101096: HES MEETING ME IN YOUNG PORUEVER TODAY AT 2

shadowoo: wownoo

shadowoo: that's a new one

101096: J I H O O N

shadowoo: Jihoon... the tiny satan you're so hyped about it's not funny anymore?

101096: yes

shadowoo: the "cute and small and feisty and a total boyfriend material I wanna kiss his face" Jihoon?

101096: YES BOIIIIIIIII

++

Jihoon, a name Soonyoung wouldn't shut up about since he's had multiple visions of him. Soonyoung has never met him, and yet, here he is so in love with this Jihoon that Wonwoo is like a concerned father whose goal is to drive away said lover. From the descriptions his best friend saysa tiny Satan but he looks like a cherub, glares enough to incinerate your existence, small fists of ironWonwoo is ready to throw hands with Jihoon if ever he hurts Soonyoung in any way or form. Well, if he does meet the guy.

He chomps a large portion of his burrito, suppressing the urge to find Soonyoung and protect him from Lucifer.

 

++

[12:27]

shadowoo: that's today huh

101096: IKR

shadowoo: but he was probs shook becuz he can't believe you're he's future bf since you're a pain

101096: STOP ATTACKING ME

shadowoo: :^) how are you feeling?

101096: like a megAziLLiOn wOn

shadowoo: megazillion isn't even a number but sure

101096: dOnT mOc K Me!!!!

shadowoo: ;;

shadowoo: good luck, my sun!

101096: THATS THE SPIRIT MY MOON

101096: gtg water break is done~

shadowoo: ayt, I'm going to work early then. Have fun!

101096: stay safe wonwon! i luv u (´ ε ` )♡

shadowoo: ew

shadowoo: love you too Tenten (¯ ³¯)♡

101096: ew

++

He goes to work, just a five-hour shift in a coffee shop, as a barista. It's not the most exciting job in the world but it pays rent, so Wonwoo doesn't complain. The shop isn't full of customers even if it's still the lunch hour, even the supposed barista he's going to switch with, Kyungsoo, hasn't clocked out yet. Nodding in greeting at his hyung, he slips inside the staff room where he finds Seulgi putting on hair net over her brown bun. When Seulgi sees him, she shows a small smile. "Hey, Wonwoo. You're pretty early today."

"Have nothing else to do." He replies, opening his locker and putting his schoolbag in it.

Seulgi hums, but doesn't say anything else. Kang Seulgi is a woman of few words, and Wonwoo admires her for that. It's nice to share silence with her, because it's not uncomfortable. People have said they kind of looked and acted similar, even thinking that they're siblings. Wonwoo probably would've believed them if he squinted enough.

Kyungsoo goes in the room, a tired sigh escaping from his lips. He grabs his jacket from his locker and turns to Wonwoo. "Wonwoo, it's your turn to take the reins at the counter. I have to go see Chanyeol."

"Another date, hyung?" He asks, while Seulgi eyes him down too. Kyungsoo turns red, then nods meekly.

"Make sure you have your wallet this time, Soo-yah." Seulgi laughs, waving her hand to shoo him away. "Now, go."

"You twins better not set the place on fire. Bye!" Kyungsoo goes out before they even bite back from the 'twin' thing.

Wonwoo shakes his head, then comes over to the counter. This coffee shop is a few blocks away from campus so it's not packed with students, just a few people in their phones and laptops. Wonwoo is okay with it, since he doesn't have to deal with annoying teenagers or sleep-deprived young adults (like him) disrupting the calm atmosphere. Occasionally, Soonyoung would visit him at work trying to get free cupcakes which he would politely decline. He frowns. Why isn't this the coffee shop Soonyoung and Jihoon would meet up instead?

He was wiping a stain on the counter to direct his frustration at when Seulgi comes up beside him, placing a new batch of croissants in the glass case with a knowing smile. "Soonyoung didn't eat lunch with you today?"

Wonwoo furrows his brows, staring incredulously at his co-worker. "How did you know that?"

"You're a little out of sorts, always like that if you didn't see Soonyoung between classes. It's like you'd die if you didn't see him." Seulgi shrugs, leaning against the counter. "And here you are telling me you guys aren't together. Are you sure you're not in love with him?"

"Yes, I'm sure. Come on, noona. I'm just," Wonwoo sighs. Why do they think he's in love with Soonyoung? He's only being a concerned best friend! "I'm just worried about him sometimes. He goes out doing these things that can potentially harm him and I don't wanna lose him, you know?" Especially now that he's going to meet Jihoon today. What if I lose him completely? What if he gets hurt? He'd foresee that, right?

Seulgi nods slowly in understanding. "I felt your anxiousness when you came in. Even now, you're becoming afraid. Did something bad happen?"

"Oh, uh, no. It's probably nerves." Right, he nearly forgot that Seulgi is also a wielder. It wasn't something they discuss, as they only see each other at work and occasionally in campus. All Wonwoo knows about it is that she's an empath.

"A test after this shift and..." She clicks her tongue, looking at Wonwoo with her intimidating fox-like eyes. It works, he's intimidated. It's uncomfortable to have your colleague study you up like this. Seulgi lets out a breath, "Wonwoo."

He doesn't meet her gaze anymore, now focusing down on the dirty rag in his hands. "Yes, noona?"

Seulgi shifts, Wonwoo can see her cute red doll shoes moving at the corner of his eye. "Remember that Soonyoung loves you no matter what, okay?"

Wonwoo raises his head back to look at her, his shoulders no longer stiff and heart getting heavy. Seulgi has a smile on her face, one that creepily resembles his own smile. "Y-yeah."

 

 

 

 

 

 

After his two final classes, Wonwoo feels like his head is about to explode. He knew he did a great job in his exam, but his professor in his three-hour workshop nearly killed him with the droning lecture. He didn't even eat any snacks after his shift so he's starving at this point. Recalling that Soonyoung won't be home tonight, he goes to the diner they frequent and orders a plate of steak and fries. As he eats, the heaviness of his head doesn't go away. Maybe because it's rare not to have Soonyoung around this time of the night or his brain is basically liquid from the amount of information at this point. Dismissing it, he pulls out his textbook and reads for a while, munching on his fries.

 

The sinking feeling worsens. Part of his subconscious scream get out of there, but he doesn't. Instead, he thinks it's only the growing worry.

 

++

Chat: sunyoung and wonmoon

[101096] and [shadowoo]

 

[21:43]

shadowoo: dude how long are you going to stay at Jihoon's place?

shadowoo: not to sound like a clingy bf but I'm a lil worried

shadowoo: okay maybe I am being a clingy bf but can you blame me?

shadowoo: you always reply right away to my texts

shadowoo: I'm eating dinner btw if you're eating right now

shadowoo: Soonie?

shadowoo: Soonyoung

shadowoo: Tenten

shadowoo: Hoshiii

shadowoo: KWON SOONYOUNG

shadowoo: alright then, love you

shadowoo: but then again you for not replying

++

He puts away his phone and checks his watch for the time before resuming his reading. His nerves are going haywire at this point. Something is wrong, but Wonwoo can't figure out what it is. He was about to get up when suddenly, everything goes to black.