More confusion

Lace and Deceit

Jonghyun spent the next few hours googling Minki’s name, but didn’t find anything interesting. He had no idea what he was looking for anyway. Minki was a secret agent, he wasn’t going to have any public social media pages. ‘Ren’ didn’t bring him any results either. His time seemed to have been completely wasted. Jonghyun sighed, deleting his search history the exact second Minki burst through the door. Phew. Talk about being lucky. 

"Here you go!" Minki smiled widely, placing a cup of coffee and a paper bag down on Jonghyun's desk. 

"Thank you.. That's, uh, nice of you." Jonghyun lifted his gaze and flashed Minki a smile before going back to staring down at his keyboard. 

"You look so tired." Minki said after getting a good look at Jonghyun, genuine concern lacing his voice. "Are you ok?" 

"I'm fine." Jonghyun nodded, clearing his throat and clicking a few random things to make it seem like he was working. 

"Are you sure?" Minki walked around behind the desk and, without a single warning, began massaging Jonghyun's shoulders. "So tense.." 

Jonghyun swallowed. Yes. What a tense situation indeed. 

"Just relax." Minki whispered, softly brushing his fingers through Jonghyun’s hair. 

"I feel much better already." Jonghyun closed his eyes, breathing heavily. Stop, stop stop. 

"Do you?" Bending over, Minki leaned in to nibble gently at his earlobe, taking it between his teeth. "Because I bet I can make you feel even better. Wanna pick up where we left off last night?" 

"Ahh.. That sounds tempting. But not here. We're at work." Jonghyun mumbled. He felt bad about being so affectionate with Minki while actively stalking him on the side.

"Fair enough. But, just so you know, 'we're at work' won't be an excuse tonight." Minki grinned and walked around the desk again to pace around the room for no particular reason. "Give me something to do. I’m supposed to help you." He said after a while, clapping his hands. 

"Ok, um," Jonghyun stared at the mess on his desk, trying to come up with a suitable job for Minki. "Take these files." He grabbed stack of folders and held them out to Minki. "And bring them to the lab on the fourth floor."

"Yes, sir." Minki nodded solemnly, taking the folders into both hands. 

"Don’t call me that." Jonghyun chuckled, dismissively shaking his head.

"You don’t like sir? Then... How about daddy?" Minki winked and tried to make it sound like he was joking, but it was no secret that he liked Jonghyun. Though, before his question could be answered, he hastily left the room, afraid of any unpleasant reactions. 

Wow. Upon deciding he needed a short break after that, Jonghyun got up and left the room. As he walked through the halls, he tried to come up with something he could do to distract himself when he heard a familiar voice nearby. The person he was trying to run away from was just around the corner, speaking to the boss. 

"I. Need. Time." 

"That’s what you said yesterday." 

"Um. This is my second day." Minki scoffed, seemingly unafraid to give the boss an attitude. 

Jonghyun froze completely. He didn’t want to eavesdrop, but his legs wouldn’t move. He just stood there, listening. What if overhearing this one conversation were to give him all the answers he was unconsciously looking for. 

"Ok.." The boss grumbled, which meant that whatever they were talking about wasn’t actually ‘ok’. 

"I think everything will work out the way you want it to, though. Jonghyun is so beautiful." Minki sighed dreamily. And Jonghyun was too busy being confused by the fact he was saying that to be flattered. 

"Sure he is." The boss skeptically replied before just walking away, sighing in annoyance. 

What was that? Jonghyun decided he wanted to go home and sort things out. This was too much. He turned around and practically ran back to his office, ignoring all colleagues that called his name on the way. 

When he got there, he noticed he’d completely forgotten about the coffee Minki brought him. Ah. Great. Yet another thing to feel bad about.

He quickly gathered his belongings and opened the door to find Minki standing right in front of him.

"Where are you going?" Minki asked, his eyes widening slightly.

"I- I don’t feel so good, I’m going home." Technically, Jonghyun wasn’t lying. 

"What’s wrong? Are you sick?" 

Damn. Now Jonghyun was forced to lie. "Yes, I, um, have a headache." 

"I’m coming with you. Let me help you to your car." Minki reached out to touch Jonghyun, but he turned away. 

"I’m fine. I’m going to take a nap and I’ll be ok.." Jonghyun didn’t know what else to say and, not so gently, pushed Minki out of the way. 

---- 

Jonghyun fell asleep the second he got into bed. He was so exhausted that his head had actually began to hurt, and he assumed that was his punishment for lying to Minki again. For hours, he had such strange, distorted dreams. And all of them were related to Minki in one way or another. What a surprise. Jonghyun didn’t know what to do. He didn’t know if he was in love with Minki or afraid of him. It could’ve been both. He was lost in his own mind, all because of one guy. 

When he finally woke up, he grabbed his phone from his nightstand and sighed deeply when the screen read 'Minki: 1 Missed Call'. Guessing that he was probably worried, Jonghyun felt obligated to call him back. 

 

"Hey, love. How are you feeling?" It was like Minki picked up the phone before Jonghyun even got the chance to press the button. His voice was almost extra cute over the phone. Jonghyun could feel his heart flutter. 

"I feel better. I’m sorry for being so rude to you earlier." Jonghyun sighed, staring at the ceiling. 

"That’s ok!" Minki chuckled. "Don’t worry about it." 

"Nah. I had no right to do that. You’re too sweet." Jonghyun smiled to himself when imagining Minki’s face, and he was glad he couldn’t see that. 

"Gee, don’t beat yourself up about it. Can I come over? I want to see you." Minki asked, and Jonghyun could tell by his voice that he expected the answer to be no. 

"Please do." Jonghyun decided to surprise him because he deserved nothing but love. Wait. What?

"Great! See you in a bit. Muah!"