Rebirth

Lace and Deceit

[ TW for violence!]

 

“Maybe you shouldn’t go.” Minki told Jonghyun when he was about to leave. 

“Give me one good reason not to.” Jonghyun mumbled, slipping on his coat. 

“He just gets very aggressive and scary sometimes.” Minki explained, smoothing out Jonghyun’s shirt with his hands. “I just don’t want you to get hurt.”

“Baby,” Jonghyun took Minki’s hands in his. “I have to do something. I can’t stand by and do nothing.” He smiled faintly. “It’s going to be fine.”

Minki sighed, and didn't seem convinced. He was more than a little worried, obviously. “He’s dangerous.”

“I’m dangerous, too.” Jonghyun wiggled his eyebrows. “I’ll take care of it.” He let go of Minki’s hands, lifting one of his own to caress the other’s cheek. “Have faith in me.”

“I do.” Minki closed his eyes for a moment, nodding slowly. “I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

“Mhm.. Please take a spare key with you-” Minki walked up to the cabinet beside the door. “-in case I fall asleep.”

Jonghyun could tell why he was saying that. He looked very tired. He was tired from crying so much, possibly. 

“Here.” Minki sighed softly when he’d fetched the key, handing it over to Jonghyun, who was instantly inspired.

“Minki, I want you to move in with me as soon as possible.” He smiled gleefully. “Wouldn’t you like that?”

“Is that even a question?” Minki smiled, stepping forward to hug Jonghyun tightly. “I’d love that!”  

“I’m glad..” Jonghyun shut his eyes, hugging him back. 

After pulling away, Minki nudged Jonghyun playfully. “Be careful, ok?” 

“I’ll be fine, I promise.” 

“Jonghyun..” Suddenly, Minki pouted slightly, staring down at his feet. “Maybe this is impossible... He’ll never let me go.” He swallowed before he continued. “He always threatens to torture and kill my family if I ever leave him… It’s too much of a risk.” 

“He sounds horrible! You must understand I don’t want anyone like that near you! Ever again!” Jonghyun grabbed Minki by his shoulders, shaking him violently as if trying to wake him up from a nightmare. “Do you understand?” He stopped his shaking as he waited for an answer. 

Minki stared at him, wide eyed. 

“Do you understand?” Jonghyun repeated. He didn’t want Minki to do anything stupid, tonight or ever again. 

“Y-yes.” Minki stammered, nodding. 

“Good.” Jonghyun cleared his throat. “Now, get some sleep, love.” He leaned in and kissed Minki’s forehead gently. “Hm?” 

“Yes, if I can.” Minki nodded once more, still a bit shaken. He moved back, slowly. “Be careful.”

“I will, I will.” Jonghyun smiled at him, while slowly moving towards the door. “See you soon.”

—-

Jonghyun practically kicked his own door down. He felt like he had no time to lose.
He had to free Minki from this emotional prison, once and for all. Who did this guy think he was? Who on earth was he to torment and mentally torture someone as wonderful as Minki? And.. Why did Minki let him? That may have been the most important question.
A part of Jonghyun was sure that Minki hadn’t told him the full story. It wasn’t like he was obligated to, and Jonghyun was grateful for everything he did want to share, but still, the secret agent was curious. It was in his blood. 

Jonghyun hurried over to his bedroom, where he looked under the bed and grabbed an old shoe box. Inside was a plastic bag, and in the bag was a pistol. One that he’d kept despite resigning, just in case. 

“Hello, beautiful..” Jonghyun sighed when holding it up. Even though he knew nothing could’ve happened to it, he was almost relieved to find it was still there. He cocked his gun with a low groan, convincing himself he was ready to fire it if necessary. For Minki. Anything for Minki.

—-

Then, he proceeded to walk to the address Minki had given him. He couldn’t risk anyone recognizing his car, so he went on foot. Walking gave him some more time to think. It gave him so time to get even angrier at this unknown man who’d caused Minki so much pain. One way or another, this was going to pay for it.

Jonghyun wasn’t that surprised to be led to a strip club. He stood outside for a while, gathering the courage to go inside. He didn’t particularly want to enter such a sketchy building, but he did anyway, for the greater good. 
When entering the place, Jonghyun was greeted by bright lights and loud music and several dancers doing their thing on stage. Sigh. To think that Minki-- Enough. Do not think about that. 
He pushed his way through the crowd, searching for the owner’s office. He casually opened a few random doors, eventually finding one that led to a corridor. He closed the door behind him, pleasantly surprised that this corridor was soundproof. The music had been filtered out completely. Jonghyun could hear himself think again.

He looked around him, sighing at the thought of having to open each and every one of these doors. But hey, the person he’d been looking for coincidentally stepped outside of his office. “Can I help you?” He asked Jonghyun, raising his eyebrows in surprise. He was the man in the suit. The exact guy Jonghyun had seen that day he’d followed Minki around. He looked older up close. 

“Do you own this place?” Jonghyun asked his own question instead of answering his.

“Yeah. Did we have an appointment?”

“No. But it’s important.”

“Fine. Go ahead and have a seat.” He nodded towards his office. “I’ll be right with you.” 

Jonghyun did as he said. He entered the office and sat down, studying his surroundings. The walls were dark red and the furniture was black. Jonghyun couldn’t decide whether the place looked like it came straight out of a horror movie or a o.
He looked for traces of Minki, eventually finding on one the wall in the form of a photograph. Minki looked different in it. He had much longer, strawberry blond hair. He held onto candy floss and smiled brightly, a ferris wheel behind him and the arm of the man in the suit wrapped around him. They really did seem happy. But as Jonghyun looked closer, he noticed how much dust had began to form on the both the glass and the picture frame. Perhaps this symbolized the crumbling of Minki’s relationship with this man. Jonghyun could almost hear Minki sigh and say; ‘That was a long time ago.’

“So,” The man in the suit returned, lazily shuffling over to his desk. He had a paper coffee cup with him. “How may I help you?” He asked Jonghyun, sitting down. 

“Do you know who I am?” Jonghyun leaned back.

“Hmm..” The man squinted. “I can’t say that I do. Why? Have we met?”

“My name is Kim Jonghyun. My boss hired Minki for me.”

“Ok..” The man just sat there for a second, then shrugged indifferently. “Well, what’s the matter? Not satisfied?” 

“I want you to let Minki go.” 

“Excuse me?” The man let out a degrading chuckle. "What do you mea-" 

“Let him go. And never bother him again. I’m asking you nicely.” 

He sat in silence and stared at Jonghyun for a while, then burst out in laughter. “Absolutely not.” He replied, calmly. “He is mine. He belongs to me.” 

“You speak as though he’s your property.” Jonghyun frowned.

“Because he is my property.The man sat back, unimpressed by Jonghyun. “Everything he owns, he got it from me. I saved that pathetic rat from a life in the gutter. What the did he tell you? That I would let him go easily? He is forever in my debt. He is mine; My . I can make him crawl and my heels if I want to.” 

“Enough!” Jonghyun stood up, furious. “Don’t talk about him like that!” He snapped, breathing heavily.

“Or else?”

“I’ll kill you.” Without thinking, Jonghyun grabbed his gun, pointing it at the man. “Swear that you will leave Minki alone!” 

“Oooh.” He chuckled. “Look at that. He’s got a gun.” 

“Swear it.”

“Listen here, .” He stood up as well, still not at all intimidated by any of Jonghyun’s actions. “I don’t know who the you think you are, but you are messing with the wrong person.” He snarled. “Don’t you understand you’re making an even bigger mess? I’m gonna kill you, and then I’m gonna go over to Minki’s place and him sixty times! You should’ve minded your own ing business.”

“Minki is my boyfriend. His business is my business.” Jonghyun tilted his head. “Any last words?” He was fuming. He wanted to put a bullet through the other’s head right then and there. 

“Yeah; shut the up.” The man unexpectedly flipped his desk, knocking Jonghyun backwards and onto the floor.

“!” Jonghyun exclaimed in pain when hitting the ground, dropping his gun.

“Not so tough now, are ya?” His enemy raised an eyebrow. “Are ya?” He grinned wickedly, kicking Jonghyun in the abdomen. 

Jonghyun winced, reaching for his gun.

“Ah - I don’t think so.” He kicked him again. “Does it hurt?” And again. 

“.. you..” Yes, it did hurt. But Jonghyun was persistent as ever and kept reaching for his gun as if nothing was wrong. He managed to grab it eventually, lifting it to have it kicked out of his hand.

“You look so dumb right now.” He sighed.

“!” Jonghyun grabbed his damaged hand with the other. It felt like it was broken. “You-“

“Enough!” 

Both Jonghyun and his attacker turned their heads. In the door opening stood none other than Choi Minki, shakily pointing a gun at the oldest in the room. 

“Ah, look who it is.” The guy stretched out his arms, giving Minki a faux warm welcome. 

“Get back.” Minki furrowed his brows. “Get the back!”

“Little bunny, you’re not gonna hurt me.” The older man laughed mockingly.

Jonghyun moved to sit up, staring at Minki in wonder. He seemed less tired than before now. And he looked beautiful. No matter the circumstances. Minki was always beautiful. Around his elegant neck glistened the necklace Jonghyun had given to him. It had finally found its rightful place. 

“What makes you so sure?” Minki swallowed.

“Ugh, come on! As if you’re gonna shoot me!” He spat. “You wouldn’t dare! You are weak. You are nothing. You are useless and pathetic." 

For a moment, Minki just stood there; trembling. But then his expression changed, and, with a loud scream, as if jumping off a cliff and into the ocean of liberation, he pulled the trigger. The older man was too surprised to move; the bullet hit him right between the eyes. It pierced his head, leaving its mark in the wall behind him. With a dull thud, he hit the ground. As his blood stained the already crimson carpet, Minki’s lifelong enemy had been defeated. He was free. He was reborn.

Jonghyun watched, blinking slowly. It took him a while to process the reality, but then he stood up. 

“He's dead. I.. I.. I’ve killed him.” Minki whispered, lowering the weapon. “I... I can’t believe..”

“Honey!” After grabbing his own gun, Jonghyun hurried over to Minki, trying ignore the pain in his hand. “We need to get out of here.” 

“I.. He..” Minki stammered, in complete and utter shock.

“Come on, baby.” Jonghyun said softly, Minki looked at him, eyes widened. 

“Come on..”