Promise me

Lace and Deceit

After a while, Jonghyun turned off the shower and stepped out. He sighed, deciding it was probably best to go home now. Wouldn’t everything be embarrassing from now on? Wrapping a towel around his waist, he stepped into the bedroom to find a now dressed and equally embarrassed Minki. He was seated on the bed, looking up at Jonghyun like some kind of sad, abandoned kitten.

“I’m sorry for reacting the way I did.” Minki whispered timidly. “It’s just that.. I’ve been hurt before and I-“

“It’s ok.” Jonghyun nodded solemnly. “You don’t have to explain yourself, I understand.” 

“Thank you...” Minki heaved a sigh, standing up to walk up to Jonghyun and wrap his arms around his neck for a second time. “You are so sweet.” Minki whispered softly, closing his eyes. 

Jonghyun sighed, hugging him back tightly. “It’s because you bring out the sweetness in people. You are wonderful.” He whispered, meaning every word. 

Minki was unable to respond to that, given the fact that he had begun to sob quietly. 

“It’s ok...” Jonghyun attempted to shush him, gently his hair. He wanted to know who made Minki this way, so that he could go over to their house and kill them slowly and painfully. Minki didn’t deserve to be sad, ever. 

“I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.” Minki let out a nervous laugh between sobs. “This wasn’t supposed to happen.” He sniffled, trying his best to stop crying. 

“It’s fine, let it out.” Jonghyun didn’t want him to feel guilty. He was a human being. It was ok to cry.

“I don’t deserve your kindness.” Minki muttered.

“Of course you do, don’t ever say that again.” He whispered, rubbing Minki’s back in a comforting manner. 

Minki pulled away, and stared at Jonghyun. Even when he cried, he was beautiful. “I’m thankful for you.” He whispered as he leaned in to kiss Jonghyun softly. The kiss reminded Jonghyun of the ones from the very beginning; so soft, tender and full of hope for the blooming of a wonderful relationship. 

“I’ll go home now,” Jonghyun pulled away again, not wanting to give in too much. “so that you can be alone for a while. Ok, baby?”

“Yeah..” Minki nodded slowly. “Ok..” 

-----

As soon as he stepped outside, Jonghyun unlocked his phone. It was time to call his dearest Minhyun.  Minhyun lived nearby, and given the fact Jonghyun didn’t have his car, that was convenient. 

“Yo, yo.” Minhyun answered the phone in a silly voice. Jonghyun hated when Minhyun did silly voices. Minhyun had a beautiful voice that wasn’t supposed to go to waste like that. But oh well, Jonghyun never stayed mad for long. 

“Hey!”

“You sound happy. Did you smash?”

Jonghyun cleared his throat, not particularly keen to answer that question when on the street. “Where you at?”

“I’m at home..”

“How come you’re not at work?”

“We have a rat plague, didn’t you hear?”

Thank God. The rat plague existed. 

“Right, yeah. Can I come over?”

“You wanna talk about-“ Minhyun lowered his voice, attempting to sound mysterious. “-our friend Minki?”

“Yeah..”

“Sure. See you in a bit?”

“Yessss. I’ll be right there.” 

-----

“Wow.” Minhyun exclaimed when he saw Jonghyun. “You look great, bro.” Did he notice it too? “I haven’t seen you this radiant in years.” Apparently he did. “You did smash, didn’t you?”

“Shut up.” Jonghyun scoffed, pushing Minhyun out of the way and entering the house like he owned the place. “What were you doing when I called?” He hoped the answer would be ‘gaming’, he wanted to join in. 

“I was reading this book about... ants.” Minhyun shut the door, and walked up behind Jonghyun.

“For real?”

“No.” Minhyun replied, chuckling. “Do you want a drink?”

“Mehh... No thank you.” Jonghyun shook his head. He didn’t bother to ask what Minhyun had really been doing, assuming it was disgusting. 

“Ok then. Have a seat, pal.” Minhyun gestured towards the couch, and Jonghyun followed his instruction. “There’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you.” Said Minhyun rather seriously when sitting down as well. 

“What’s that?” Jonghyun blinked.

“Well..” Minhyun cleared his throat. “I’ve been monitoring Minki’s phone a bit... And...”

“And?” 

“And... He doesn’t seem to do anything suspicious at all.” Minhyun shrugged. “Sometimes he texts his brother, sometimes he calls the Aron guy and sometimes he texts the astro line to hear about Scorpio’s horoscope for the day.” 

Jonghyun blinked a few times. He wasn’t even that surprised. 

“And he also texts and calls you a lot.” Minhyun wiggled his eyebrows.

Yikes. “Oh, right. Umm, Minhyun, you can stop monitoring Minki’s phone activity now. Understood?” Jonghyun chuckled nervously.

“Yes, captain.” Minhyun grinned mischievously. “So, tell me about your night with the robot.”

“Well..” Jonghyun cleared his throat, thinking of where to begin. “It was all very nice... And most importantly, nothing was suspicious. I did some, well, research and didn’t find anything at all.”

“Uh-uh.” Minhyun nodded as he listened carefully, genuinely interested in what Jonghyun had to say.

“I want to believe that he’s sincere, Minhyun. I have feelings for him and I’d like to express them with having to feel guilty or bad or afraid. You know?”

“Yeah, I guess so.” Minhyun nodded again. “And he has feelings for you, too?”

“I think he does, yes. But he told me his heart has been broken before and he just seems really scared to love again. I want to make him happy. Because he deserves that. He’s so sweet. Know what I’m saying?” 

Minhyun stared at Jonghyun, a wide grin beginning to spread across his face. “Come here!” He pulled Jonghyun into a too tight embrace. “It’s so good to you, my best friend, so happy and in love!” 

“Minhyun!” Jonghyun muttered, a tad embarrassed, and barely able to breathe. 

“Ahh, sorry.” Minhyun let go again, chuckling nervously. “Is there anything I can do to help you?”

“I don’t know. I- I- I guess not.” Jonghyun stammered, shaking his head. “I just-“ He groaned. “God, I’m confused.”

“Yep. Love will do that to you.” Minhyun patted Jonghyun’s shoulder gently. “Why don’t you take a break from the stalking and try to enjoy the time you spend with him.”

“That’s what I’ve been trying to do.” Jonghyun nodded in agreement, smiling at sweet Minhyun. “Thank you for listening to me, man.”

“Anytime. Now, is there anything else I can do for you?”

“Yeah… How about a ride home?” 

-----

That night, Jonghyun crawled into bed, glad this day was finally over. Just as he put his phone on his nightstand, the screen lit up; incoming video call from Minki. 

“Oh, .” Jonghyun brushed his fingers through his hair, straightening it out a bit as he sat up. Ok. This was fine. He looked ok enough. “Hello, baby.”

“I miss you.” Minki instantly whined. He was in bed, too. He pouted and was cute as always. “It’s so sad and cold without you.” He blinked slowly. 

“Ahh... Don’t worry. We’ll be together again soon.” Jonghyun offered him a smile, which he didn’t return.

“I’ve been thinking...”

“Yes?”

“Well... We are a lot closer now..” Minki looked down, avoiding eye contact. 

“I guess you could say that.. Um. Where are you going with this?”

“Are you gonna tell me what JR stands for?” Minki blinked curiously. “I mean, if it simply stands for ‘junior’, you would’ve just told me, right?” 

“Oh-“ Jonghyun snorted. “I can’t tell you! It’s protocol, you know that!” 

“Aw.” Minki went back to pouting.

“... I’ll tell you on our wedding night.”

“Deal.” Minki nodded, giggling. “What were you doing?”

“I was about to go to sleep, actually.”

“Alone, I hope?” Minki shot him his meanest glare, which wasn't very convicing.

“Of course, of course.” Jonghyun moved the camera to the other, empty side of the bed. "Just me, myself and I." 

“Should I sing you a lullaby?” 

“Yes, please.”

Minki began to softly sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. And when he was done, Jonghyun placed his phone onto his chest to properly applaud him. He had a very lovely, soothing voice. Jonghyun wanted to listen to his singing forever. 

“Thank you, thank you.” Minki giggled. “Jonghyun?”

“Yes?”

“I just want you to know that... You probably are the sweetest man I’ve ever met.. And I... I appreciate and adore you.”  

“Ahh-“

“I want you to remember that, no matter what happens.”

“Hm? What is-“

“Do you promise?”

“Minki, what-” 

"Promise me!" Minki had raised his voice. He wasn't pouting any longer, and looked very serious instead. It scared Jonghyun just a little bit. 

"I promise." Jonghyun unintentionally frowned. What did this mean? Minki wasn't dying, was he? 

"Good." Minki's perfect, heart-shaped lips twitched into a smile. 

"Are you gonna tell me what that was all about?"

"I just think it's important that you know." Minki shrugged, then yawned. "Anyway, let's go to sleep. Mh?" 

"Yeah.. Good idea." Jonghyun squinted.

"Goodnight!" Minki quickly hung up. Strange. 

Jonghyun placed his phone down beside him and pulled the covers over his head, closing his eyes while trying to forget the conversation he just had. Minki was so weird sometimes. He wished he could understand why. He probably meant well... right?

Jonghyun sighed. Once again, his thoughts wouldn't let him rest.