CHAPTER TWO

Meant to Be

Song to listen: Agust D - So Far Away

Right, I'm living because I can't die

But I don't have anything I want to do

I'm in so much pain and lonliness but people around me

Keep telling me to regain my consciousness

All Yoongi really did the past days was writing music without recording anything even though everyone was expecting him to drop a new song. The company was pressuring him because they didn’t want the hype about Agust D to die down. But he couldn’t really release any of these songs. Not when he worked so hard to be where he was. He was famous, rich and more than anything: he got recognized as one of the best rappers in Korea, people looked up to him, he inspired people. To stay that way he had to sell records and to do that he needed to release songs people will listen to.

He could give up his money, his fame but not his reputation.

As if anyone would care about you ,. Man up and start writing real songs, he thought as he crumpled up the paper throwing it on the floor.

He was confused. Everything seemed alright but so terribly wrong at the same time. Many people would kill to be in his spot but the only thing that gave him any comfort was music. 

He heard a knock and opened the door already feeling annoyed with the lectures he was expecting.

Three people were standing in front of his door with magazines and phones in their hands. He decides to step out as he didn’t want them stepping into his studio.

“World-wide famous rapper Agust D punches paparazzi in the face at Incheon Airport.“ one of them quoted. “Do you have anything to say?”

“I don’t know do I?”

“Sir I know this is a hip hop label but getting into fights every week, getting caught in clubs pretty much every other day… You will soon start to lose your bad boy charm and people will think you’re just a pathetic loser” another one of the company employees responded.

“I thought me not having a manager would free me from excessive nagging but I guess not” the rapper said to himself.

All three of them sighed at the same time before the tallest of them spoke up. „I know the paparazzi can be a pain in the arse but you have to learn to control your anger. I’m not sure how many more lawsuits your career can handle…sir”

“I didn’t realize you cared so much for my career. If you are so enthusiastic why don’t you just make sure to keep the paparazzi away from me so I don’t have to fight those es?”

None of them dared to respond as Yoongi kept on glaring at them.

“You know what just get the out of my studio and deal with this issue like you dealt with every other one”

The employees were out of the room in lightning-fast and Yoongi could finally relax. He hated people being near his studio. It was his safe haven. The closest thing he had to a home really. 

He heard another knock and was about to go off.

These s just can’t leave me alone, he thought.

“Hyung it’s me!” he heard before the door opened and his best friend walked in.

“What’s up” Yoongi replied lazily.

“Not much man I know you hate having people here but you were avoiding me so I had to come.”

“I’ve just been busy…with songs and stuff”

“I know you hyung you’re always busy. You just busy yourself with work so you don’t have to confront people in real life”

“So you’re here to give me another lecture? If so you can step right out.”

Namjoon sighed as he responded “No I just wanted to see if you're ok…”

Yoongi raised his eyebrows. He knew the other boy too well to believe that. There was something else he wanted to tell them.

“… and I wanted to ask for a favor”

The older laughed. 

“Man just say what you need don’t act like a psychologist with me. You know it won’t work.”

“There is someone I know and I owe him a favor. And I figured since you owe me a favor I could basically ask you to do what the person asked me to do.”

Yoongi was getting impatient all Namjoon did was picking him up after he got piss drunk and lost his wallet somewhere resulting him not being able to get a cab.

As all he got were knitted eyebrows Namjoon continued.

“There is this person whose manager asked me to feature him on one of my songs but I can’t as I just released my mixtape and it didn’t do as well as expected and it’ll take a while before they let me release a song-”

“The you mean it didn’t do as well as expected.” Yoongi interrupted.

“We’re not some idols who do music for money and fame. We’re artists man we can release whatever we want” he continued fiercely as if he wasn’t the one too afraid to release his songs.

“I know, I know. But the company-”

“I don’t give a about the company. The only reason we signed was to be able to make music man. Doesn’t make much sense when they stop us from doing that.”

Namjoon was moved because the older rarely showed any kind of emotion but he was there for a mission. Get Agust D to feature Jimin on a song.

“I don’t even want to release anything right now hyung. I need to get over the last mixtape really. That’s why I need you. I need you to feature this person on a song. He needs the support right now and you know how people eat out of your palm. One feature and he would get immediate attention. That’s all he needs I promise he is so talented once people see that he’ll be able to grow from there.”

“You know I don’t work with people I don’t know”

“But this kid is different you’ll realize once you see him”

“Well do I know him. What’s his name?”

“Park Jimin…but I don’t think you’ll know him.”

“Why? Is he in one of those indie bands ?”

“No he’s… an idol”

At that moment Namjoon knew he needed his best arguments and he had to pull of his best puppy eyes on top of that because Yoongi hated many things about the music industry but his number one were always the “fabricated, bland idols who can’t do anything other than looking good and synchronized dancing” as he liked to call them.

“Really Namjoon? Out of everyone an idol?”

“Trust me he has the voice of an angel, he is the sweetest person anyone could meet he just needs one feature even if it’s only 15 seconds.”

“No”

“Please just do it for me ok? I promised Seokjin I would-”

“Oh so this is what it’s about. Seokjin hyung?”

“No I really just need you to help that poor kid.”

“You’re sure this has nothing to do with your ex.”

“Hyung you know I’m over him I accepted my fate. He just won’t fall for me again no matter what I do”

“So you need to repay him the favor so he doesn’t think you can’t keep your promises?”

“I just…I didn’t want to disappoint him again you know.”

Yoongi thought for a few seconds. All he wanted in life was doing music and his best friend’s happiness. If one little song could bring him any joy he would do it. Even if it meant dealing with stupid teenagers. 

“Hmm…One song?”

“One song.”

“Only a 15 seconds feature?”

“Yes hyung anything you want”

“I’ll do it”

To say that both of them were shocked would be an understatement. The Agust D was about to collab with an idol. After he dissed them in pretty much every other one of his songs. 

“Thank you hyung oh my god you just saved my life I’ll be forever grateful. Call me anytime you are piss drunk I don’t care…”

As “Rapmonster” did a little celebration dance all Yoongi could do was to smile fondly and respond: “Just go and call your lover boy already I can literally see your heart eyes forming”

The things I do for  this idiot, he thought as he watched his best friend leaving his studio.

Namjoon immediately called Seokjin. He wasn’t sure if the older one would pick up. After the twenty-eighth beep signal (not like he was counting) he finally did.

“Hey hyung how are you?” Namjoon felt a lot more comfortable and confident than the last time they spoke.

“I’m fine Joon-ah-” he immediately regretted using his old nickname, old habits were just hard to kill. “Just running around after the kids making sure they don’t cause trouble you know the same old” he continued as if he never said anything before that.

Namjoon was basically on cloud nine after he heard his nickname. How long has he been waiting to hear it from his hung again.

“You know about the favor…” he started not even trying to hide his obvious joy.

“Oh it’s okay Namjoon-sshi I don’t want to be an inconvenience. I’ll find another way”

Namjoon was put off and disappointed at the formalities the older used.

“No hyung I…I just wanted to tell you that I Jimin will get featured-” 

“WHAT? REALLY?” he was immediately interrupted by Seokjin.

“Yeah hyung just-just not on my song”

“What do you mean?” Seokjin was confused he didn’t have the time to play around.

“You know since I can’t release a song… I just asked a hyung who would and he agreed to feature Jimin in one of his songs”

“Oh…well who is it?” Seokjin felt thankful but he wasn’t comfortable with leaving Jimin with someone they didn’t know.

“He’s…Agust D”

Seokjin was lost for words. There was no way Yoongi would agree on dealing with an idol.

“Are you kidding me?” he asked finally.

“No hyung I would never. I really want to help Jimin and Yoongi hyung is really the best option we have.”

“Nahh that I will find someone else.”

Anything is better than letting Jimin meet that , he thought.

“Come on hyung. Do you really know anyone else who is as successful as he is?” Namjoon asked.

“I d-do” Seokjin lied. “I know a bunch of idols”

“Yeah but is anyone on his level?” Namjoon already knew the answer.

Seokjin was hesitant. He could just find someone else. The song would be less successful meaning Jimin would get less attention. Or he could agree and let the do a song for Jimin, which would obviously get tons of sales. But letting his sunshine meet satan’s child couldn’t be the only solution right?

“Hyung I know what you’re thinking but Yoongi hyung really isn’t like he was before. I promised he changed. He is basically an angel now.” Namjoon (partly) lied. 

“Don’t call him an angel if anything he is a demon.” at this point Seokjin was sulking. Why couldn’t everything work out like he planned them in his head?

“Well okay hyung I won't bother you anymore. Hope you find a cute little idol to do a song with Jimin. I’ll listen to it well once it comes out. I hope it doesn’t flop like every other idol released solos songs these days. You know maybe you could ask GD or Taeyeon” Namjoon knew that would annoy the out of the older but this was the only way to persuade him. If he wanted an idol who is more successful than Agust D was he only really had two options. Both too expensive to even think about.

“W-wait” Namjoon smiled he just knew his hyung too well. ”I agree. Let’s go with Yoongi…but if he tries anything-”

“Hyung I told you he’s a changed man. He won’t even lay a finger on Jimin. I’ll make sure.” 

“J-just don’t tell Jimin I asked for this favor. We’ll act like Yoongi wanted to collar with him.” 

“I’m not sure if he would actually agree to that hung you know how he feels about idols.”

“Yeah but Jimin would hate himself. He hates depending on other people for anything.”

As he got no response he continued: “Please Joon-ah”

He could literally hear Namjoon’s heart beating through the phone.

“Y-yeah hyung I’ll m-make sure you can t-trust me” he started stuttering. He would do anything as long as Seokjin stopped acting all formal with him.