a feather

A Monsoon

Haechan saw a fallen angel. Literally.

Haechan was sure today would be another boring day when all his human targets fall for his little devilish enticement easily, well it's part of his job as a devil to tantalises human somewhere far from heaven direction by tempting them for some sins, but to be honest after living as the immortal for like forever, now this is getting boring. Human just makes sin look easy, they don't even need any temptation to do that, they just doing that as if they breath the misdeeds.

So boring.

To his luck, his flat day disturbed by a bright gleam which just hit or more like banged the ground an arm away from he hovered his wings lazily. It was a big thud or a loud bang, you can prefer. After few blinks and seconds of blank thought, Haechan looked at two guys lying on the wooden bench under his feet. The said human's still huffing the oxygen, soul gone wondering in a land of dream. Even just a small accomplishment, Haechan still wanted to make sure that his fifteen minutes of enchanting laziness charm around the humans were not gone waste just by a random ruckus.

"ouch!"

The voice sounds ethereal with a tiny echo covered the said word.

Haechan brough back his attention to the brow-furrowed object. It's not just the voice that sound like a colored thin air, the owner of the voice's also looks unreal.

The dirty pavement didn't stain any dirt on - a seemingly like a body- whose kneeling, rubbing its right shoulder. Five groans, three grunts and another thud followed the strange scene before Haechan's narrowed eyes. Forget about the noisy event, the odd was; it seems that all of those annoyingly pleasing loud sounds only affected Haechan's ears, judging all the human being around him just doing their times like nothing happened.

That thing's not from mortal realm then.

"an angel?"

Haechan voiced a statement-like question. He set his clean leather shoes on the pavement, decided to using his foot to approach the now crunched object instead of his heavy wings.

"uh? ermmm uh-huh -"

It's need about fifteen seconds for Haechan to describing a wow that his brain muttered automatically as he saw the face whose just turned to him. The face's glistening milky white, a couple of big bright eyes, the thin curved lips was pursed and oh? The brows are arched in seagull's like. God did his best created this one.

"seriously!?" Haechan hushes either to his object or his own silly though.

"um yeah, I'm um uh an angel?"

Haechan just shrugged and continues his steps toward the crunched angel. He made sure that he has a good look on this one, he's curious, okay?. And made sure that his soon to be interlocutor, he'll made him one, is harmless. He's sure about the harmless part after he got a better view of the objet because oh come on, what would came from a fragile looking boy with white beret on?.

"you okay?"

"uh, I think something's wrong with my -" the boy pointing at his right shoulder with a little grunt.

"your... " Haechan need to put an interlude in his sentence, just so he can stare at the glittering pure white feathers jittered at the touch with the winds. They're glimmering.

"...your wing, ahem, the right one. I think it might dislocated or something" He pointed at the uneven feather's root.

"what?! Oh my god! No! I, no way...ugh- "

Haechan somehow understand once again the reason why he is a devil. He enjoyed the view of the heavenly creature struggled, trying to reach his own injured wing 'he looks like he's doing cat bathing'. He almost chuckle at the sight.

"aren't you in pain? I mean, your wing is injured... I guess" a statement switched into a question, because well, despite the oddly uneven wings the angel just moving fine. Too agile for someone in injured state.

"pain? No, we don't have that"

"what?"

"it's one of mundane things, we don't feel it" the angel shook his head in negative.

What?. There's so many questions he would ask God and he just add this one to the list.

"you don't feel pain? Why?!"

"we're angel, we don't feel any mortal feels"

The fact itself pisses Haechan, the way the angel described it as if it's an obvious thing and makes Haechan feel dumb for not knowing is another.

He stopped his legs mid-squats. He lost motivation on helping— in spoiling his curiosity—the now obviously helpless angel.

Haechan straightened his body, folded his arm on his stomach. A slight disgust colored his face. Not because the magically aesthetic sight in front of him of course. He just suddenly felt disgust mixed with a bit rage towards god.

Why is  god so biased?

Angels are made by lights while devils are made by fire. Angels are labelled as all the good things, while devils are the darkest, cruellest, baddest thing that ever created. And they're all fine looking. Well of all angels he has ever seen, they're all GOOD-ING-LOOKING. Even though he only ever saw four of them and from a far, but it should be enough to justify that every single one of them are like that; skin glowing, smoothly craved face features, wings flutters with twinkling feathers. Now that he's seeing one up close...

The envy grew.

"are you stupid?" Haechan still in his position, now irritated as he watched the angel scraped his knees for six time now, because while Haechan's busy complaining to God, the angel an arm away from him was stubbornly, stupidly, trying to fly with his crocked wing, jumping aimlessly.

"you can't fly with that wounded wing!"

"but I recited the blessing spell. Why?" the angel crunched his seagull like brows stared at the ground under.

"what?!"

"in heaven, it's always heals after we recite blessing spell"

After blinked for few times to shake the fact that he really witnessed a honestly innocent but somehow sounds dumb statement, Haechan put himself together even still in denial.

"is this your first time?... Being in human realm I mean"

Some cursed words and a momentous gasp just came outta Haechan's breath when the ethereal creature across him turned his small face to him and nods as a response to his question.

What is that things farmed by those lids? A pair of black obsidian? Why so different with his light-colored reptile eyes? So annoying.

"human's realm ain't works that way Mr. Angel. Here in mortal world, when something breaks, it need times to heals"

There didn't even look like an act, it's a legit shocked expression on the cute (Haechan decided this statement) angel. A small 'pfft' was escaped from Haechan's plump lips.

"oh lord! What to do?!" the angel literally gripped his head in frustration, eye widen dramatically "I've to go back to heaven before dusk! I can't be late - I - I'm -"

"why so dramatic? You don’t even feel pain!" Haechan didn't even hide his mocking tone "you just need to call your fellow angel to fetch you and you and your lil fella would be glimmering flew through the sky back to heaven" Haechan made sure he deepen his voice at heaven part and a lil eye roll to finish the sentence.

"how? I didn't bring the halo with me. I couldn't contact anyone without it"

"halo?... The golden ring thing above your head?"

"uh huh" the angel nodded "we just come down here to give blessing for the new born babies at south and um... I... I'm... " panic smeared all over his face.

"just use your phone!" he half-shouted, showed his black square phone which appeared from thin air after he clicked his fingers. It's similar with the human's one but with some faint red smoke fumed around it, don't question Haechan for the lil drama, it's Satan's original idea to made it like that.

"we o-only use halo to communicate"

Maybe it’s just Haechan’s halucination but he somehow saw a glimpse of awed eyes  from the angel who keeping his gaze upon the phone.

“seriously?”

“yeah, halo is enough. Oh! But sometime we use the pigeons if its about human’a destiny” the angel grins.

For Lucifer’s sake. What the is going on? Haechan could only question god’s credibility and his wisdom about the meaning of equality. Pigeons?. They still use pigeons in this age?. No wonder human somehow creat their own destiny. The pigeon who has their destiny might get lost or something.

"Does the pigeon have been modified to android or planted with sophisticated chips or something like that? Is the halo equipment works as holographic calls or telepathic transfers?"

it was clear the angel was a little gawked before shaking his head in doubt.

"No, it's just an ordinary golden halo, designated as our liaison tool, our instrument to receives the command of God, and I do not really understand what you might have done with the pigeons, We just whisper what needs to be conveyed to them and let them deliver it for us"

....     .....     .....

     .....     .....

No reaction. There’s no reaction for that!. How should Haechan react to a person who sounds like he is from the medival century while they’re in 21’s?!.

"Okay, I do not care anymore, you are too old-fashioned and seem to be boring" Haechan raised his hands, givin’ up.

"wait! I beg you" a velvety voice pleaded. The voice delivered perfectly by the wind to Haechan’s  ears when he had already turned away.

There were a little shudder at the voice. With a sigh, he turned, bite his lower lip, looking at a pair of obsidian pupils that looked at him pitifully.

"hahhhh, Okay ~"

He cursed himself in silence while swiping his phone. Since when was he easily seduced by such trivial things like puppy eyes? he is the master of persuasion and seduction! Instead of being the wooed one. Since when has he been generous to petrify? this is about helping an angel we are talking about. Being generous is not part of his nature. He's a devil!.

He was still looking for one of his fellow devil's contacts who he knows has more experience dealing with angels.

"What are you doing?"

"I will contact my brother! he knows more what we should do for your wing!"

"oh, okay"

For a while, the atmosphere was normal. The scene looks in accordance with the frame of someone who helps each other. But the normal  scene only lasted a moment.

"may I see?"

Haechan should not be surprised by now after all those happened few minuts ago. But suddenly ing the angel's face into his, of course anyone will be surprised. A pile of shining face suddenly crammed into your face and grinned with those shiny teeth.

He can smell his ing scented breath!.

"how do you use this thing?"

"you ... you just type in a message and press the send button.This is much more effective than whispering on a pigeon right?" he still tried to control his heartbeat (imaginary heart, he does not really have one) as the black-haired angel turns his face to his phone.

"how do you know your message has been delivered? how long do you have to wait?"

Very surprising. Even for Haechan himself. He survived. With detail and a bit of sarcasm here and there explaining how an electronic message works to the excited medival century creature who couldn’t tear himself off of the thin phone in Haechan’s hand

They might looked really stupid, two winged creature squated side by side hovering over a phone.

Just imagine.

But yeah, the angel smell like frozen cherry so Haechan didn’t really mind how dumb they might seem. However, it doesn’t like anyone could see their kind tho.

The messeges he sent already long and almost out of topic. Of course he knows that Jhonny will not help much but he has no other choice. Yuta is too eccentric, he will even come to him and add complicated circumstances. Doyoung is too scary so he's automatically eliminated from choice.

But they are the only devils he knew had ever interacted with the angel. Well, besides the high-class devils who he doen’t even want to talk to.

"why do your friends suggest to devour me?"

Stupid Jhonny. Instead of helping, he gave him useless things that do not make any sense.

He ignored the angel's question (he did not know what to say?) and started sending messages to Doyoung.

Chanie: Hyung. I found an angel.

He started his message carefully. He didn’t want to make any move that would gave Doyoung opportunity to nag on him instead of help him. If he made a wrong movement, Doyoung’s nag would last forever. Haechan shiver at the thought.

DoDo-Hyung: watching the angel flying through the clouds while you're on the ground, doesn’t mean you found an angel, haechan! You just stared.

And I’m busy!

If you’re bored, go find some humans! Don’t bother me!

Doyoung must be in his solitude mood again. His brother has this believe that do nothing and being alone is an aesthetic form and he won’t even budge an inch if it’s not for a very big-rare-special occation. Haechan thought it would be faster if he showed it right away. Because he was sure that got a fallen (not really) angel is can be catagorized as a very big-rare-special ocation.

"Turn around!" haecan ordered the angel who was still intrigued by his phone.

"uh?"

"Turn around! I'll show him your wounds so he will know what’s going on!"

"How?"

With a toung-clicked Haechan immediately stepped back and took a photo of the juggled wing.

"wow!" the glee when the angel saw his own picture being sent.

Haechan began to feel sorry for the angel who was fascinated with only a short messages and pictures.

"oh! lord!"

"!"

Their automatic aghast when the bubbles messeges changed to a face of likely an angry man.

Another curse left Haechan’s mouth when his brain began panicking. He should known that telling Doyoung just a very bad idea. Now the rings began to increased its volume – another satan’s modification—and he knew if he doesn’t pick it up now, it’ll ring even louder later.

“!”

YA! HAECHAN YOU BART!! TURN THE PHONE AND FACE ME YOU LITTLE—

He stretched his hand held the phone far away from his face. Even with the distance along his arm, Doyoung’s voice and angry face screamed in the air. The angel even shrank, frozen in his place. Haechan reached his other hand to pat the shocked angel besides him –

BOOM!

This time, Haechan snaped his eyes, almost roll ‘em outta sockets. If his reflexes were not good, maybe he would burn in a flash of light that just hit the ground where he had been standing for a second before. Fortunately, he had been mimicing some monkey—in those bored to death times—to got their agility. He jumped just in time.

An explosion!.

Now what? can Doyoung teleport via video-call now?.

All right, even though his breath was still irregular and his left leg felt a little burning as it seemed, Haechan had to understand what was really going on. Strengthen his footing. Narrowed his eyes, focused. where is the little angel?.

"you despicable creature!" another ethereal sounds. Similar to the little angel, but this one is more annoying. Because of his choice of words thats it.

After all the smoke and dust that spilled out from the blast, Haechan could vaguely see a slim legs wrapped in tight white pants matching with a white loose shirt-

Ah, another angel. At this point Haechan has been lazy to describe repeatedly about the stuning figure that shimmering from head to toe.

This angel has silver-pink hair. For the sake of anything, even though Haechan was tired, but his brain still forced him to be stunned for a moment. The angel who standing facing him has a face similar to the perfectly carved greek statues. Maybe the greek carvers saw this angel while sculpting their masterpiece.

"you depraved creature! what are you doing to our Mark ?!"

In contrast to the angel he found—he knows the name’s Mark now— that radiates the aura of angels as told in the children's book, this one angel does not radiate anything about angels. Only his looks that angelic. He is oozing sassyness. Only the golden halo, a pair of wings and a glowing body marked him as an angel.

"who do you call depraved creature? You clean freak!"

Sometimes, having an unreadable sibling has its own advantages.

Before he realized. Doyoung had landed and stood in front of him with both hands on the waist. Leaving Haechan’s vision range lined with his his . Haechan couldn’t possibly complaining in this situation tho.

"Taeyong hyung!" the angel, Mark as he had been called, voiced from behind the silver-haired angel who was busy having staring-angrily contest with Doyoung.

"I should have guessed that a lowly creature like you would do everything to stain our pure kind" he changed his standing position, folded his arms in his chest and raised his chin "especially from your class! You know what will happen if you dare to hurt us, but you still did it! how greedy you can be?"

Doyoung had pulled out his pointy nails, a soft blue flame wrapping each of his long, shiny black nails. Haechan already dragged his legs to form a combat-base. He knows his brother is not a patient one and he knows if those soft blue fires are not as smooth as it seems, that is the perfect form of anger. and if this warth's offspring is angry, then he should be prepared be it runs off saving yor life or try to predict and softened it then likely died in the end, the choice is yours.

"hyung! they did not hurt me!"

What did haechan say! Mark has a more angelic aura. It’s so strong that Doyoung broke his eye contact with the handsome angel and tilted his head, looking up to see Mark who was tugging Taeyong's shirt.

"what’re you saying?, look at your demaged wing! that must be that little creature doing! I saw him doing something to your back seconds before I arrived!" the sharp jawlinee is wasted as it used for harassing pointer.

"no-no! no! this is not because of him, I fell! I fell!" Mark stood up grasping the angel's arm.

"Look ?! You're an exaggerated paranoid! Now who is the actual cursed creature! Randomly slandering others!" after all, Doyoung did not alleviate the atmosphere instead he made it heavier.

The angel who was called Taeyoung almost avenged Doyoung's provocation and was ready to start a new round of vague y arguments.

"Ah! uhm-hyung! can we go now? I mean ...  I can’t be late, I have to go back to heaven before sunset! Remember?”

Mark the real angel’s back to save the moment. Prevented for world sassy war to happen.

It was effective.

Because a moment after the pair of those black obsidian puppy eyes, Taeyoung made a very uncharacteristic gasps and immediately embrace Mark on the shoulder. With no further ado, as if nothing had happened in the last few minutes, he propped Mark up flying away in the air.

Mark flashed a grin which was succsessfully cravted in Haechan’s memory, before disappearing into the sky.

Doyoung was ignored, he shouted again pointing his skinny fingers to the sky where the two angels disappeared behind the clouds.

"Stop it! They can not hear you anymore!" Haechan patted his brother’s back lightly who still looked up angrily.

It was the wrong move tho, because now his brother turned up at him with narrowed eyes and teeth grinding. "You're in big trouble a young man!" Doyoung hissed under his breath.

An autumn day that should be a boring day turned out to be a very strange day. A day beyond the limits of the peculiarities of this world can offer.

And now he must listen to Doyoung's tirade that will gnaw at his ears for, seemingly forever.

But that's fine. It looks like Haechan will survive with any scolding that Doyoung will throw at him.

A small smirk on Haechan's lips. His right hand clutching a feather. Something that should not be in his trouser pocket. A sprig of angel wings that he took in seconds before the moment of the explosion.

He knows he should not have done that but he is a devil. It does ain’t wrong when violating rules is one of his job.

It’s just a piece of memory rewinded in his brain the moment he breath the cherry-mint scent, it was the warning given by Key, his devil mentor, that the only similarity belongs to both the devil and the angel is the wholeness of our body. That’s why if a devil forms a pact with humans, they will share something from their bodies as binder. That they will not be intact without it and will always return to that wholeness.

This is just an experiment. A dangerous one he knows, but he is willing to bet anything tho, because the probability is just tempting for his ego.

Now he has an angel’s body. If the theory of the wholeness is true, he will see Mark again.

Because Mark needs his missing feather.

His grin widen for his genius thoughts.

 

 

Or for the thought that he certainly will meet Mark again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the angel Haechan found

angel mark