four.

The Red Queen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

four.

The next day

Minseok hummed as he walked – more like skipped – down the hallways of the palace, his steps light.

“Someone is looking a little happy today.” A voice called out from behind.

Minseok grinned and turned around, his arms at his back. He tilted his head to side with a grin, “Why hello Sehun! Are you doing your patrolling rounds in the palace? It’s nice to see you on such a beautiful like today, don’t you agree?”

Sehun gave Minseok a judging look, “What’s up with you?”

“Sehun, Sehun, Sehun,” Minseok chuckled and put his arms around Sehun’s shoulder, “Why so serious? Today is a good day. It will be a good day!”

“I have a sword on me and I’m not afraid to use it. Get off me.” Sehun pushed Minseok’s arm away.

Minseok grinned, clasping his hands together, “Oh, I can’t wait to see spring!”

“Its autumn, if you haven’t realise by now. We have to go through winter before spring arrives, idiot.” Sehun rolled his eyes.

Minseok wagged his finger, shaking his head. Sehun raised his brows.

“Spring is the season of love, Sehun! It shall come very soon! Oh I can’t wait!” Minseok cheered.

“Did he suddenly go crazy? Did he get hit in the head? I always knew he was a little off sometimes but I never knew he was this crazy. Why am I even friends with him?” Sehun muttered to himself, walking away from a Minseok who was grinning to himself.

 

***

 

“The Red Queen summons XCITE performer Suho to the palace tonight. Please be dressed appropriately as the Red Queen wishes to speak with him tonight.” A palace messenger announced, a card in his hands.

Junmyeon paled as the palace messenger repeated his message.

They were having their lunch at the eatery in their lodging until a man claiming to be the palace’s messenger arrived and read the Red Queen’s order.

“May I know which gentlemen goes by the name of Suho?” The messenger asked, scanning the room.

Jongdae immediately pointed to Junmyeon, whose eyes widened at Jongdae.

“Hey!” Junmyeon quietly hissed, swatting Jongdae’s hand.

The messenger walked towards their table down and placed the card down, “Please present this card to the Royal Guards so you can enter the palace.”

With that, he bowed and left the eatery.

“I am done for.” Junmyeon groaned, burying his face in his palms.

Kyungsoo picked the card up, analysing it. “Whoa, it’s the real thing. Look, there’s the royal stamp.”

“But why would she want to see you?” Jongdae asked, “Was it about yesterday’s wink?”

“She probably got disgusted that a mere commoner like you dared to wink at her.” Jongin teased.

“Off with his head!” Jongdae immediately shouted, making a slicing motion at his neck with his hand, causing Junmyeon to turn pale.

“Don’t scare him.” Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, patting Junmyeon on his back.

Jongin sighed, “It’s okay, you didn’t know that it was her. Maybe she would pardon you if you reasoned with her?”

“The Red Queen doesn’t know how to reason. She only knows how to execute people whenever she feels like it.” Baekhyun shook his head.

“Is that the only type of punishment she gives?” Kyungsoo asked.

Baekhyun smirked, “She is the Red Queen after all, executions are her favourite past times,” He leaned in, “Unless you can give her a big sum of cash, she will pardon you. Or that’s what I heard from some people.”

Junmyeon frowned, “Should I prepare some money just in case?”

Jongdae nodded, “You should, just so that you can keep your head on.”

“Junmyeon!” A voice called out, causing the entire group to look up and turn to the source of the voice.

Jay went over to their table. Jongin and Kyungsoo wiggled to the side of the bench, giving the male some space to join in their table.

“I heard from the others. The Red Queen summoned for you?” Jay asked worriedly.

Junmyeon nodded, a grim expression on his face. Jay frowned and took out a bag, placing it on the table. The noisy chink of coins caught their attention.

“I don’t what you did but here’s some money. Use this to get the queen to pardon you if you had offended her even if you didn’t mean to.” Jay said, pushing the bag of coins towards Junmyeon.

“You’re so well-prepared!” Jongin exclaimed.

Jay winked, “Like I said, I’ve been here countless times. I hope to see you back here alive after the visit, okay?”

“I can only hope so.” Junmyeon weakly grinned, putting a thumbs up. No one can miss how his hands were slightly trembling.

 

***

 

The Red Queen was in her chambers, sipping on her favourite rose tea. The pleasant aroma of the tea wafted through the air. It was one of the days where she could feel relaxed – it was what she thought until she heard the familiar knocking rhythm on her door.

“Come in.” She sighed,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter