5

Steadfast Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

*This chapter includes a car accident. No gore, no character death. I just wanted to warn you all so no one was TOO shook.*

 

Sunday afternoon the clouds still hadn’t parted for the sun completely, yet there wasn’t any downpour predicted in the weather forecast. Somin didn’t think anything of it as she borrowed her sister’s car to make a quick drive to a business she was considering interning at. Jongin didn’t think anything of it either as he rode his motorbike down the busy street, heading home from Sehun’s penthouse. It was the back road that the two of them decided to take as a shortcut, both knowing noon traffic was killer as people took their lunch break and clogged the main roads. 

 

There was also a tired, tired truck driver who had been cruising all night and day, on his last leg of consciousness, a few miles away from his favorite rest stop. Even that usual routine couldn’t keep him awake though. Somin stayed in her lane and Jongin stayed in his, a few hundred feet behind the semi. The truck driver’s eyelids began to flutter close and the massive vehicle switched lanes. Somin saw this and panicked, trying to avoid the eighteen wheeler rushing towards her, causing her at the last second to swerve into the opposite lane. Jongin saw the truck ahead of him switch over and decided to speed ahead, hoping to surpass whatever mess the irresponsible driver may cause.

 

And that’s what caused the two college students to collide.

 

The truck driver heard nothing, too dazed too even think about looking behind him, instead concerned with getting to his usual pit stop. He kept rolling ahead along the now clear road, realizing he was in the wrong lane, but quickly switching into the correct one.

 

With no buildings, no people, no stoplights, no cameras of any sort along this backroad, there was no evidence of the real cause of the accident.

 

As Somin’s car going thirty-five and Jongin’s bike going seventy crashed, the vehicle being much bigger than the bike stayed still. Especially as Somin immediately the emergency brake upon seeing the stunned man approaching faster than the speed of light. The front a bit dented in, but not much harm otherwise to the silver hand-me-down from decades ago. Jongin’s motorbike rammed into the front bumper, bucking the driver off like a raging bull. The young man flew against his will ten feet in the air before his body splat down, luckily on the plush green grass on the side of the road.

 

Still, an impact that rough caused the spectator whom ran into him to burst into tears. Somin’s vision was blurred, but she turned her car back on to pull into the field beside the road to avoid any further accidents before getting out to check on the stranger. Phone in hand, she dialed 911 while not bothering to check if the road was clear before running across to examine the victim. Luckily it was a clear road, but this made the girl panic even more. Thoughts of “oh my god, he’s dead, he’s has to be dead, I’m a murderer, I’m never driving again, I’m going to jail.” ran through her mind as she tried to collect her thoughts well enough to explain the current situation to the operator. She stayed on the line even as she crouched down beside the young man. His eyes closed as he laid face up, his chest thumping up and down erratic as his lungs were struggling to take in enough air.


 

In less than ten minutes the ambulance arrived, putting the young man on a stretcher and also getting Somin in the vehicle as well, since it was best for her to at least get a check up. During the ride she recognized him as that guy from the food stand. She remembered his expensive bike. She realized she is probably going to be sued for every penny she doesn’t even have. The girl started sobbing again.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter