1

Steadfast Heart
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

Lightning bolts struck between thunder claps outside the dusty windows of the bakery. Somin was in the back mixing dough for the breakfast rush bound to come in a few hours. The bell rang from the front, sounding faint through the layers of wall and door. Her boss’ tired voice called out to her.

 

“Getting the day started already” Sooyoung called out between sips of coffee from behind the register. The question so common from being asked hundreds of times that it fell into a statement.

 

“Of course. Did you get soaked coming here?” Somin called back, making casual conversation as she kneaded the armful of dough on the powered countertop.

 

The door to the back opened as Sooyoung came through to assist. She was a bit taller than average, in her late twenties, which Somin only learned after attending her boss’ twenty-eighth birthday dinner in February. Prior to that she thought the woman was closer to her in age, especially since the elder could pass as a high school student if she happened to do her makeup a certain way. Twenty-one year old Somin definitely looked up to her boss as not only a work authority, but a bit as a role model as well. She was just too kind and pretty and smart and all the good qualities one could want.

 

Sooyoung was the store’s boss due to inheriting the role from her parents who owned the food chain, but preferred working the register more often than not. The reoccurring customers enjoyed it as well due to her fresh face and light-hearted personality.

 

Somin had been an employee for over a year now. But due to the staff roster being so full along with her laid back nature, she had yet to rise above doing entry level tasks. This meant she still slaved away mixing and kneading and baking. But it also meant she didn’t have to put on makeup or formal attire for work. Plus no customers would notice her messy forearms or redden cheeks from running around the shop. Staying in the back was fine with her. She did receive a slight pay raise automatically once she reached one year, but it wasn’t a significant difference whatsoever.


 

“You came in at four thirty, as per usual?” Sooyoung asked, knowing it was in vain but wanting to fill the quiet air between them so she wouldn’t space out.


 

“Yeah. It’s Thursday so I have a lecture at nine. But I’ll come back in at four thirty, in the afternoon.” Somin grinned, her words not being funny enough for a proper chuckle.

 

Sooyoung wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter