chapter i

magnificent cape, pompous diamond

Jeonghan is nursing his toothache when the Crown Prince of The (Possibly Evil) Supreme Leader of the Newly Reformed World comes to him and proposes a union sealed in the utmost sacred bond of marriage.

— ☆ —

How he wishes he could stop staring, but alas, he just can’t. Kneeling before him is the Magnificent One, Protector of the Realm himself, in all his glory—magnificent (truly horrendous) cape blowing in the wind and gorgeous (seemingly inconvenient) long robes hugging his figure. He is down on one knee, one hand holding a vintage box with an expensive three stones diamond ring inside.

And this is not the first time Jeonghan has ever seen the man; he is always on the news! His life, and his family’s, is one people would wildly talk about. He is a royalty. Or whatever. He holds power, his name inspires respect, and his blood carries strength.

Hansol Vernon Chwe, the Most Feared and Fearless Warrior of Men, first and only son of the man who took control of the world approximately five years ago, creating a havoc in his wake. Despite being called, repeatedly, that he is just riding on his father’s coattail, he has just recently gained a reputation for himself, mainly by expanding his father’s territory in their plan for total world domination, all before reaching the age of thirty.

Impressive, indeed.

Jeonghan does not always understand them. All this world domination business The Chwe Family is trying to accomplish makes no sense to him. Not to mention, apparently, the entire reason behind The Chwe Family’s world takeover is to make it better for humanity. The Crown Prince said it in an interview or something.

(“But if I may ask, [his actual official title Jeonghan has not managed to remember], what is your personal reason to, well, make sure they surrender?”

“I want to see a better place, one that is not filled with chaos like it used to be. One that will truly protect the people from harm. That is what our family is trying to build here, a place where everyone can live in peace and acceptance.”

“Is that why no one is hurt during your rebellion?”

“Of course. They may be wrong, but they deserve no pain. Let justice determine their fate.”

“Many leaders of other countries is wary of your existence. Are they right to do so?”

“Well, involving that matter—”)

While Jeonghan does not witness the revolt firsthand, he does know just how powerful can The Rogue Doom of Mankind be. Behind those captivating eyes, lay a great power unbeknownst to humanity previously. Armed with that and his natural charisma, it is not that surprising to see him gaining followers in such a short period of time.

And also fans. Jeonghan has seen the fansites of the Crown Prince.

Many of them gave him expensive jewellery for his birthday. It oddly reminds him of the custom of the Old Word. Royalty used to get lots of offerings back then.

The question, now, is that if the Crown Prince has secured a place for himself, and regarded as a leader there, doesn’t that mean he is essentially breaking his father’s own rule? Did they not promise a peaceful regime under one ruler or something? Is the Crown Prince planning to seize his father’s throne? One that would definitely be given to him?

Maybe it is not his place to know. Or understand.

But now, now that he is given the chance to truly study the man in front of him, Jeonghan does find him handsome. His jaw strong, his charms boyish, his posture tall, and his face soft. He also talks really politely, his voice sounds really warm and tender when he asks Jeonghan to—

Oh, hell.

— ☆ —

He is about to ask him Are you sure you are getting the right person? when he realises implying that The Bravest Guardian of Destiny could make a mistake might not be taken lightly by the aforementioned man.

So instead he chooses to ask him, really politely, “Am I really the best person for, uh, Your Highness to… request such a thing from?”

He might have trembled a little, especially when he forgot the proper way to address him—Your Highness? My Lord? The Mighty One? Regardless, if the Crown Prince is being serious on his intent to marry Jeonghan, he should let the small slip slide.

“There is not a person more suitable than you.”

— ☆ —

Eventually, the Crown Prince rises to his feet, after the silence—with Jeonghan openly gaping at him and him looking up determinedly at Jeonghan—hang between them for more than ten minutes.

An expression of disappointment is apparent on his face, probably as the result of him taking Jeonghan’s confused and shocked expression as a form of rejection. In that moment, Jeonghan feels a spark of fear of being terminated so clearly, and thus blurts out the first thing on his mind.

“You should ask for Jihoon’s permission first.”

— ☆ —

Jihoon is going to kill him, no doubt there.

— ☆ —

To his utmost horror, the first thing Jihoon—his hair tousled, clothes unkempt and eyes looking positively disoriented—says upon seeing the Crown Prince on his door is, “Who the hell are you?”

It takes him two cups of coffee (which Jeoghan makes by himself, after ushering the three of them into Jihoon’s and his shared apartment room, with His Majesty watching his back intently) to be entirely awake. He seems to instantly recognise the son of the current leader of their country, and has the sense to sit straighter.

“I am here to ask for your blessing to marry Yoon Jeonghan.”

He says that with a smile, as he locks his eyes on Jihoon.

Jihoon splurts out the coffee on his face.

Jeonghan wonders, briefly, if he should accept the proposal, just to avoid a death penalty.

— ☆ —

“I like your shirt. Thanks for lending it to me.”

“I—Yes, it really looks good on you, Your Majesty.”

“Nah, don’t be too formal. You can just call me Vernon, you know.”

“Uh. Of course, uh, Vernon.”

“Cool. Sorry if Jihoon was startled, though, seems like we wake him up. Hopefully, he won’t be too angry.”

Jeonghan pointedly ignores the way His Majesty—Vernon, he reminds himself—visibly brighten up at the mention of we.

“He will get over it.”

He better should, their heads are at stake here.

— ☆ —

Jihoon reappears from the bathroom, looking much tidier than before, half an hour later.

He is wearing his best dress shirt, Jeonghan notices, accompanied with his most expensive owned slacks, and, surprise there, blazer.

The Crown Prince offers him a smile, a polite (albeit still genuine) one. His fingers are still lying on top of Jeonghan’s though, and Jeonghan is not really fond of telling him to withdraw them.

Jihoon puts a stack of paper on the table, before settling himself on a chair. Without looking at the Crown Prince, he clicks his pen, then says, “Right. So you want to marry Jeonghan?”

“Yes,” he replies, “it would be a real honour.”

“Let’s get into it then. First question, what is your full name?”

It is going to be a long, long day.

And Jeonghan’s hurt tooth is still throbbing stubbornly.

— ☆ —

“Next, net worth?”

Jeonghan almost faints.

The Crown Prince does not even blink when he says the exact figure.

That earns him a raised eyebrows from Jihoon—one that would either say that’s quite impressive or what, you think you are hot shot?

(He is a rather difficult man to read, sometimes.)

“How much is Jeonghan going to get, then?”

“Everything that I have belongs to him.”

He probably should feel flattered.

His brain, however, provides him with an image of him pulling an all-nighter to get their monthly monetary report done.

— ☆ —

“Have you broken any law?”

It takes everything in Jeonghan to not yell He is the law, you fool!

— ☆ —

The, well, interview ends. Jihoon leaves the room after shaking hands with the Crown Prince, saying that he will call him back in a few days.

And, according to Jihoon, the Crown Prince is allowed to court Jeonghan during that period of time.

Very gentlemanly, he has at least added. Make me impressed, son.

If anything, the lack amount of horror he could summon at Jihoon’s sheer disrespect indicates just how utterly done he is with the situation

Then His Majesty turns to face him. “Well, that makes me nervous.”

Jeonghan replies him with a weak laugh.

“I hope I pass, though.” He smiles. He has a nice smile. His eyes lit up whenever he does that, his expression turns even softer. Really, for someone who is dubbed as The Third Most Almighty Man, he looks far too kind and too sweet. “But since Jihoon did allow me to court you, what do you think about catching a brunch tomorrow?”

“Sounds good.”

“Excellent.” He offers another smile. “I will pick you up at 9?”

“I will be ready by 9.”

His Majesty offers him yet another smile, then bows to take Jeonghan’s hand to kiss his knuckles.

When he finally leaves, and the door is closed, Jeonghan can only slump to the floor, legs too weak to be able to support his weight.

to be continued.