FIRST AND LAST

Sorry and Goodbye!

Hello!” you answered the phone with all smiles, because why not? You feel so happy today.

 

Hello?” you said for the second time, when the person on the other line doesn’t answer back.

 

You can hear a man’s heavy breathing on the telephone, and this creeped you out.

 

Hello?! May I know who this is?” again, you gain nothing but a heavy breathing.

 

You start to feel scared and wanted to hang the telephone, but something’s stopping you for ending this call like, it’s meant for you to answer the call and talked to the other person on the other line. And the big question is ‘WHY?’

 

Please may I know who this is?!” this time you said it like you really know the person you’re talking to, but you just need a justification. And it confuses you, because you don’t really have any idea who is it.

 

The stranger was about to answer you, when your boyfriend snatches the telephone from your hand and hung it, then pulls you into your living room, where you leave him a while ago to answer that call.

 

“YAH! Wonnie oppa that was rude!!” you scolded him, while glaring, for what he did.

 

“YAH?! You’re much ruder babe! I’m older, right?! And you said ‘YAH!’? And by the way you left me on the sofa watching your favorite movie for almost half an hour already! So now tell me, whose rude again?!” Wonwoo has a point, but that is not the issue.

 

“Oppa that’s not the problem here, okay? Haist! Okay! I’m sorry, but the thing is, what if it’s important or an emergency? Or—“you were cut by him.

 

“A PRANK CALL! Come on babe! You’ve been talking to that person for almost half an hour and for Pete’s sake he’s not answering you!” he’s getting mad, and you can tell by just looking at how red his ears are.

 

This was supposed to be a nice date, a night of movie marathon and making up because you haven’t seen each other for a month now.

‘Maybe he’s right! It’s just a prank call’ you said to yourself and slowly walk towards him.

 

“Oppa I’m so sorry!” about to cry, you hugged him and buried your face in his chest.

 

He pulls away a little bit and hold your shoulders.

 

“Shh!” he wipes your tears with his thumb, then let his hands cupped your face.

 

“Now! Can we finish that boring movie of yours, so we can proceed to my movie?” he said while grinning.

 

As you see him smile like that, you know the tension is gone.

 

 

 

While watching the movie, his head is resting on your laps, and suddenly you heard him snore in his deep low voice, causing you to crack up but immediately cover your mouth because you don’t want to wake him up.

 

Thick brows, pointy nose, slanted eyes, you carefully touch every part of his perfect face, thankful that you had the chance to and much more thankful that you have him. Then your fingers find its way to his lips, and the memories start to flash.

You remember how it his lips feels like, how soft it was, how he holds you with so much love, how he stares at you with his beautiful round eyes.

‘WAIT! WHAT?! ROUND EYES?!’

Your perfectly closed-eyes, for reminiscing the memories, are now wide open. Confused about what you just saw. Because that guy is not JEON WONWOO.

 

 

Waking up the next day, you heard a few knocks on the door.

“Wait a minute!”

The moment you got to the door, you open it immediately, but to your surprise no one is there. The only thing that you see is a package that has a card on it. Picking up you read what is written on the card.

To my Princess’

“Oppa! Did you---“ you shouted to Wonwoo who is currently taking a bath on the guest room.

“Is that the Pizza?” Wonwoo shouted back as loud as he can, so you can hear him.

“What?! it’s not from you?” you answered in almost a whisper voice, cause you’re so confused.

“What? I didn’t hear you babe?”

You didn’t answer him back, instead you’re thinking too much about the package and most especially about the card.

‘Yeah! It’s not from him, cause he never called me Princess before? Maybe a wrong address? Yeah maybe a wrong address. I will just return this later’


Having said that to yourself, you placed the package in your closet. You’re about to go to the kitchen to prepare some breakfast when you suddenly felt dizzy.


 

Oppa! What is this? ‘My Princess’ hahaha you’re such a cheesy boyfriend huh?! Hahahah’

 

‘Yah! Who told you to open that?! It’s not yet done! I’m still baking 3 cookies there’

‘So is this your peace offering from what---‘


 

“Babe?!!!! Are you okay?!”

Your vision starts to get clearer. Then you see Wonwoo holding you in his arms and his face tells you that he’s worried.

“I’m fine, I think I just need to rest. Can we go to the sea tomorrow?” you tried to stand up but your knees were trembling that you almost fell if not for your boyfriend who’s holding you in your arms.

“Oh! Careful! I think you need to eat, maybe you’re hungry. I will just get the pizza. Okay?” he immediately went to the kitchen to get you a slice of pizza.

 

But what is this you’re feeling?! You suddenly want to be alone, like you don’t want to see Wonwoo.

 

“Babe! Here’s the pizz---, Yah?! Why are you crying?! Did I said something wrong?”

 

Holding your face, you confirmed that you’re crying. BUT you don’t know why?

“Oppa?! Can you go home? Please?”

 

Both of you were shocked of what you said. And you can see how confused he is by the sudden change. You were so happy last night and then this morning everything went to be a disaster.

“Okay, just eat something and rest. I will go back tomorrow” he kissed you in the forehead while you’re slightly nodding.

 


After Wonwoo left your condo, you’re still crying. You hated yourself from acting that way towards your boyfriend. He didn’t do anything wrong. You’re the one who has a problem and you don’t know what is that, that frustrates you more!

 

Shifting from your left, you see your closet and remember what happened earlier.

‘Maybe that’s the reason why am like this?! Is it really for me? But who send it to me? Why am I seeing and hearing things?’

So many questions run into you mind right now but to stop thinking about them and get the package because that’s the only thing that will answer all your questions.

Opening the closet, the first thing that got your attention was the card, you open it again and this time you realized that the handwriting is familiar, but you didn’t know who’s handwriting is that.

Now, it confuses you more than ever. So without making any hesitation you open the package and see a familiar box. Again it’s familiar but you don’t know why? Your hands start shaking then the box slipped making the things inside it scattered on your bedroom’s floor.
 


Crying is the only thing you do, as soon as you see what’s inside it. Letters, Polaroid pictures, dried rose petals, and a cellphone.

 

“WHAT IS THESE?! WHY ARE THEY MAKING ME CRY LIKE AN IDIOT?!!! IT’S NOT FOR ME!! WHY DID I OPEN IT!!!”
 

But what you saw made you cry a lot more.

One Polaroid picture has you in it together with a tall guy who has a round eyes, dark skin, and a bright smile painting on his face while holding your hands.

You get the picture and something is written at the bottom.

My Princess and Me’

“NO!!! This is not real?!!! I’m not cheating on Wonwoo oppa!! THIS CAN’T BE REAL?! And who are you? Why are you doing this to me?!”

But that doesn’t stop your hands to move on their own and picks up the letter that is laying in front of you.

Dear My Princess,

            I’m sorry for addressing you as my princess, even though you’re not mine anymore, I guess it’s just part of my system and I really can’t get you out of it. So ironic right? I’m the one who wanted this but here I am, writing you a letter again for the nth time. Funny! Because I really don’t know why I am writing this, you will never see it anyway, as if I will let that happen. But since it’s here I will continue to write you a letter.

         Hi my princess! I really want to say I’M REALLY SORRY THAT WE HAVE TO END LIKE THIS! SORRY FOR BEING A JERK AND YOUR HEART IS NOW BROKEN BECAUSE OF THIS IDIOT. YOU KNOW WHAT I MISS YOU EVERY SINGLE DAY SINCE THAT DAY. I tried talking to you again but I don’t have the courage to face you! I tried but every time I see you, you are crying in pain, and I hated myself for that, because I know I’m the one who put you in pain, so maybe seeing me again will cause you much more pain. That’s I decided to hide and be contented seeing you from a far. Until………….”

 

The letter was not complete and you see a lot of marks that you are guessing marks of tears. It made your heart hurt once again. But this time it hurts much more than before, like someone is trying to tear it apart.

 

You don’t want to continue but your mind said you have to know what really happened. So you open the cellphone, that’s included in the box. And now you confirmed it before your eyes that everything was real! You were too shocked to even utter a word.

This phone was your old phone when you were in senior high. And the wallpaper was the guy in the polaroid, with an edited text on it that says “My Mingyu <3”.

 

You almost dropped the phone from the sudden flashback of memories, you are crying now like there’s no tomorrow while holding your chest because your heart is breaking so much.

You remember how you first met him in your junior high school, how he asked his mom over and over again to go to Seoul cause your family moved to Seoul for your senior high school. How he got a fight in your new school because some bullies tried to touch you. How he confessed that he’s in love with you when he thought you are dating another guy. How you parents and his parents reacted when he said that the two of you are dating, like there are really anticipating it. How he comforted you when your parents got into an accident. How the two of you mourn in the funeral of your parents. How he helped you moved on and start a new life. AND HOW HE CHOSE TO BREAK YOUR HEART AND END YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITHOUT ANY REASON OR EXPLANATION.


“Why? Why I am remembering it just now?! Why I am still hurting?! Why?! KIM MINGYU why do you have to leave me when you’re the only one who left to me? WHY?!!!!!!!”

Tears are still streaming down your face, and you don’t know what it is, was it because you are mad or because you are still hurt. But to be honest you want to see him, because you wanted to know his reasons? or because you miss him?

So you fixed yourself and change your clothes, you will find him no matter what. By the time you are done the phone started to ring. You looked at your phone but no one is calling you, and then you stare at your old phone and it flashes the name “Mingyu oppa :*”. By an instant you answered the phone and shocked by heavy breathing you are hearing!

“Oww! Hi my Princess!!!” you heard him while laughing weak.

 

“Maybe I’m hallucinating because of all the medicine that I took today! Haha. Oh well my princess, how are you? Are you doing great? Are you happy? Are you still *sobs* still mad at *sobs* me?” you are crying all over again, hearing his voice for a long time is so surreal. You can’t even say a word cause you’re too afraid that you are the one who’s hallucinating.

“Oh I forgot, you already forgotten me right?! *sobs* I’m SORRY!!! I DIDN’T WANT TO HURT YOU PRINCESS, BUT THAT’S THE ONLY RIGHT THING TO DO. PLEASE DON’T EVER DO THAT AGAIN! DON’T TRY TO KILL YOURSELF JUST FOR A STUPID GUY LIKE ME!” he stopped talking but you can hear at the background that he’s crying so much and he’s having a hard time breathing and then the call ended.

 

Now you are much confused.

“WHAT THE IS HAPPENING? I TRIED TO KILL MYSELF?”

Then you remembered when you woke up in a hospital 2 years ago, and you can’t remember what happened, why you are in that hospital and the doctor said that you have an amnesia and that amnesia is your choice, he said that you’re the one who wanted to erase that memories you can’t recall.

 

Somehow you lose all your energy and sit in your bed.

You really need to see him now, so you start standing but failed to do so. You tried your best and for the 6th time you were able to stand up. But how are you going to find him? You don’t have any idea where he is? Then you remembered your old phone, you run to your room and immediately dialed his number.

For the 2nd ring, someone already answered the phone but it’s not Mingyu, it sounds like an older woman.

“Oh my God!!! Eunhye-daughter is that you? Is it really you?” the phone on the other line said.

“Ne Eommoni! Can I ask whe----“

“Dear!!! Thanked God you remembered! Can you please go to the hospital right now?! He really wants to see you!”

“What happene—“

“Please?”

You got some papers and write the address of the hospital and you quickly go to the hospital.

When you got there you see her mother outside the room crying.

“Eommoni?!” she immediately hug you.

“Dear he’s not waking up, I don’t know what to do?! Please forgive him for what he has done, he didn’t want to break up with you but he’s too afraid to hurt you because he’s sick, he has leukemia!”

And just by hearing that you tears start travelling down your cheeks. And you open the door of his room to check if it is true.

 

As soon as you open the door you see him lying on his hospital bed, looking so weak and thin. It made your heart break. You walk to him slowly.

‘Why he is like that?’ you asked yourself while getting closer to him.

As you reached his bed, his hand looks like it has a magnet cause you hold his hand quickly without noticing it. You realized that he’s really thin and he doesn’t have enough color to his skin.

“Sorry I didn’t know you were sick!! *sobs* sorry!”

“My peu-princess?” you heard him, but he’s too weak that it sounded like a whisper.

“Yes! Mingyu oppa!!!” you miss his scent, his hand, his touch, his face, and especially his voice.

“Thank you for being here! I’m so sorry!” He wipe your tears.

“No, don’t say that I’m okay now!”

“Yes! Please be happy with Wonwoo! I will forever lo-love you”

He kissed your hand and the next thing you know is that the doctor and the nurses where going to the room and some is dragging you outside. You heard the beep sound and have a last glance on his face, Mingyu is smiling.

‘Thank you oppa! I love you!’