My Voice

Voice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It is a norm to see people walk in just so they can walk out of your life or to fall down just to get back up again. It's not unusual to dream of things that others perceive as impossible. Aiming for the moon and stars as a form of motivation.

YoungJi's a normal girl - with a dream. She wants to sing. She wants her voice to reach out to people; to soothe their hearts just like a bowl of warm chicken soup. The chance came to her but this, is not your modern day fairytale. At 18, She has been with at least 4 Entertainment agencies all promising her the same thing; DEBUT. However, neither of them did. The false hope that kept her going each day became her source of anxiety instead of motivation. YoungJi was no longer human; like a robot sleeping through class just so she can use every ounce of energy for my training after school. The cycle repeated. YoungJi was numb - No longer affected by the line. 

"I'm sorry but we will have to postpone your debut for now. Don't worry, we will get you to debut by the end of the year" 

She has had enough. YoungJi packed her bags and left. No one stopped her much to her surprise. After all, one less girl to steal the limelight. YoungJi walked home in despair over the fact that her dreams are over and that after all these years of training, she didn't have a single true friend who really cared. Walking home in this state was already exhausting but having to deal with stares from strangers made it all worse. 6 boys were walking down as YoungJi climbed through the steep slope. They looked happy. Joking around and laughing out loud. From their worn out shoes, it was rather obvious that they were trainees from another company. Seeing them smile was equivalent to having something sharp poking her through.

That could have been her ...............

Unknowingly, YoungJi's legs gave away, her eyes failing on her. YoungJi ended up sitting in the middle of the road in Gangnam bawling her eyes out; letting go of all the negativity that has piled up. She rummaged her bag to find her phone to call my mum but one of the guy from the group jogged over and lend her a hand to get up. YoungJi swallowed her last bit of pride and with his help, steadied herself. 

"A runaway trainee?"

"No, I quit."

"Why?"

"Screw chasing your dreams. Screw friendship. Friends are a stupid concept in life. All of this is too much"

"Listen, there is never too much. You may feel like the earth wants you to fail and that nothing is working out but trust me, it's all in the mind. It's never too much. Look at me, you probably guessed that I am a trainee too right? Wrong, I'm debuting next month and I've done the same thing too; walked away when things got tough but this is my dream. I want to stand on stage and I didn't give up. I hope you don't give up too. I will wait, for the day I get to greet you on stage." 

His ears was slowly turning red and with a bashful smile, he turned and joined the rest of the boys leaving YoungJi puzzled with what just happended.

Why is it that the only person who said the right words to me when I need it is a stranger whom I'll never be able to talk to ever?

As usual, a warm cup of hot chocolate with marshmallow from her mum's cafe was the only thing that made her feel less horrible after a tragic day. YoungJi sat down in the corner of the cafe and watch dozen of people walk in and out each with a different purpose; Businessman grabbing Ice Americano before heading for their meeting or Teenagers getting a smoothie to quench their thirst on this hot summer day. In the buzzing cafe, YoungJi felt lonelier. Apart from not having a true friend from being a trainee, she didn't have any friends from school either. Being a student in an arts school means it was all about the competition. The talented ones were at the top of the hierarchy and the ones who weren't were even disregarded by the teachers. No one has the time to make friends. It's all about building yourself as a brand. Reality is harsh and cold. 

YoungJi's Mum came over and asked why she was here instead of being at the training centre.

"I'm not going to sing anymore. I give up. I don't think I can do this"

"The YoungJi I know isn't like this. I did not teach my daughter to be frail minded."

"It's hard mum. Emotionally and Physically"

"Oh dear. There's nothing too hard. You can do it. You've got us. We'll always be here to support you."

There it is again, nothing too hard. The image of the boy replayed in her head again. He hoped to greet me on stage. The thought of being able to meet him on stage made her heart flutter and excited. Maybe this was a sign - for her to start anew. 

Step it up Step it up dasi shijagiya ~~~

DSP it is. The song that's playing currently will be the next and final location YoungJi will try her luck at. If it does not work out, she will resign to fate and move on with this phase of her life. YoungJi checked DSP homepage and coincidentally, their next public audition is next week. Without wasting time, YoungJi searched for a song which allows her to showcase her wide range of vocal; bass to falsetto. She's capable of it all but alto voice is her forte. Navi's I love you shall be the song and KARA's step shall b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter